Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Baking Soda and Sea Salt ratios

David Breza
@david-breza
12 years ago
12 posts

Awesome post! Big big help for me. Though I have a question, I'm about 3 months in, and for the last 2 or so months I've been doing the baking soda wash. I feel like I could stillbenefit from the salt water spray at this point, and thus I'm sitting here letting it soak it lol. But I'm confused about the follow up. After I sit here for 10-20 minutes, I understand I can just wash it out with some water. However if I wanted to follow it with a baking soda wash would I let it sit for 10-20 minutes, wash it out, do the baking soda, let THAT sit for 10-20 minutes, then wash THAT out? Thank you so much!

updated by @david-breza: 07/22/15 05:38:21AM
Heather
@heather
12 years ago
1,291 posts

no real need to let the bs wash sit on your hair for 10 - 20 minutes unless your doing a deep clean. you can just rinse it off after a couple of minutes.

David Breza said:

Awesome post! Big big help for me. Though I have a question, I'm about 3 months in, and for the last 2 or so months I've been doing the baking soda wash. I feel like I could stillbenefit from the salt water spray at this point, and thus I'm sitting here letting it soak it lol. But I'm confused about the follow up. After I sit here for 10-20 minutes, I understand I can just wash it out with some water. However if I wanted to follow it with a baking soda wash would I let it sit for 10-20 minutes, wash it out, do the baking soda, let THAT sit for 10-20 minutes, then wash THAT out? Thank you so much!

Supa Dread
@supa-dread
12 years ago
100 posts

Dear Mr. Baker street, the world thanks you for taking your talents as a pharmacists tech to this forum, not the streets, because with great recipes like that there 'd be a lot of folks on the ol' pipe, Lol. Wow great ratios of ingredients. Did my first wash yesterday following ur guidelines, and my dreads feel like a million bucks. Thanks a lot man.

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

they can be the same soak mix both baking soda and sea salt together no need for seperate soaks

David Breza said:

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Brooke Weber
@brooke-weber
12 years ago
7 posts

Based on the pH levels naturally in hair (4.5-5.5), the ACV rinse helps to counteract the pH of the baking soda rinse (baking soda is a pH of 9, ACV is at a 2, much more acidic.) This makes the hair much more 'normalized', that's why they feel so soft and nice afterwards.

Baker Street
@baker-street
12 years ago
11 posts

Just want to send a message of thanks for everyone who finds this discussion helpful. Also a shout to those who are contributing to the post with advise, info and fine tuning. Thanks guys!

Brooke Weber
@brooke-weber
12 years ago
7 posts

Thank you, Baker Street, for being awesome.

James Turk
@james-turk
12 years ago
107 posts

I tried these ratio's yesterday and loved it, thanks again!

Rohan Manro
@rohan-manro
12 years ago
2 posts

hey i was wondering if you could help me out :)

kay basically, im looking to start dreads (and have been for a while). im currently growing out my hair and it is about 2inches long at the moment anyway i have a big problem with greasy and oily hair. unless i wash my hair everyday it gets greasy ( i have straight, indian hair) and i was also wondering what would be the best method to start dreads? im attracted to the twist and rip method and the back combing method but am unsure about which would be best for my hair type (straight and thick)

also i like keeping fit and healthy so i tend to sweat alot would this affect my whole dreading process ?

Baker Street
@baker-street
12 years ago
11 posts

Hey Rohan,

Hopefully I can help you. And hopefully I'm not the only one on here that can help you too ;) Sooo its never to late or too early to start. According to the guides, straight and thick hair may take some time cause your going to go natural/neglect and you have short hair, but no worries cause your short hair will grow long and dread up when everything aligns and that's the beauty of natural neglect. Don't force your hair to do anything, you may end up frustrated, but if you realise its a process at the start and that there are stages and even micro stages of development you begin to notice them along the way and that also teaches patience and courage, and part of being a person in the world.

Now for the heart breaking body image stuff....let go. Take a deep breath, and expire. Oily hair will be no problem, sweat from a workout no problem. First baking soda is very strong stuff, after using it for a couple of weeks, in your case twice weekly you will notice that your hair will not be oily, in fact it will be so clean that your scalp will stop producing excess oils that make it oily, even after a workout you can just rinse with warm water, blot with a towel and go. The purpose of the baking soda solution is to bring your hair and scalp into harmony. It will take a few weeks, but for the first weeks do not use anything in your hair except the baking soda solution. No products, no conditioner, no shampoo! Not even the apple cider vinegar for a time. The baking soda will gently cleanse all of the years from your hair, and scalp. As the baking soda works on your scalp, unclogging it basicly, you may find it itchy for a time, this is your scalp waking up. To relieve this some people add drops of tea tree oil and rosemary essential oils to the solution, others simply rinse their hair with warm water, the scalp just needs some moisture to make it happy. Anyway use your scalp as an indicator as to when to wash with the solution. Then after some time you can space out your washings, because you'll just notice one day that yes my hair is really clean, and it only itches when I need to wash it. Time will do the rest. This will be your summer though!!

Rohan Manro said:

hey i was wondering if you could help me out :)

kay basically, im looking to start dreads (and have been for a while). im currently growing out my hair and it is about 2inches long at the moment anyway i have a big problem with greasy and oily hair. unless i wash my hair everyday it gets greasy ( i have straight, indian hair) and i was also wondering what would be the best method to start dreads? im attracted to the twist and rip method and the back combing method but am unsure about which would be best for my hair type (straight and thick)

also i like keeping fit and healthy so i tend to sweat alot would this affect my whole dreading process ?

/ 9

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form