Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

New Dreads - Seeking guidance

Ryan C
@ryan-c
12 years ago
29 posts

So ive gotten many opinions on how i should and shouldnt approach letting my hair lock. Im trying to narrow it down to consensus rather than individuals with strong opinions based on personal 'triumph'.

First off, I'm a white guy with naturally very thick, and very curly hair, so I figured dreading wouldn't be too difficult. Lets hope Im right.

A cosmetologist friend came over 2 days ago, separated my hair into sections, rubber banded the roots, back combed each section, and put a very small amount of non-petroleum, water soluble wax on the roots. She then told me not to touch them for the next 2 weeks, keep them covered when I sleep, and as much as i can when Im awake, and to only use spray-shampoo designed for dreadlocks every 2-3 days. She said that in 2 weeks, she will come back by, and cut the rubber bands out.

By one user here, I was told to immediately wash my hair, and do what I can to unravel them, and start over completely, lettnig them dread naturally. (i know this wont work, because before i started the process, the entire back of my head would become one giant lock when i woke up in the morning, and would take 30 minutes in the shower to detangle.) For obvious reasons, I strongly dislike this idea. I have friends with great locks, that are evenly-sized, lump free, long, thick, and hard, all of whom have used a small amount of wax to get the hair to lock.

I was also told by the same user that i need to cut out the rubber bands immediately, because they are just pulling my hair out, and will dry up, break into tiny pieces, then rot in my hair. (the bands are nto tied too tightly, and my roots have some wiggle-room, so they are not being pulled by the rubber bands).

I ultimately want evenly-sized dreads that are not super fuzzy, and are lump-free. I want dreads that would look presentable in a business suit, and whenever possible, I'd like to avoid the stereotype stigma that dreadlocks carry of 'being a hippie.'

Since I just started 2 days ago, should I keep with what my friend told me, or is there anything else I should do/try to ensure I get good clean tight locks?

When/how should I go about washing. I dont want to risk unraveling them, so ive been advised to use the spray shampoo, is this okay?

updated by @ryan-c: 02/14/15 09:30:48AM
Ryan C
@ryan-c
12 years ago
29 posts

Also, the man who gave me this advice im so sceptical about had very sloppy, rattly looking dreads (nothing like how i want mine to turn out) that have grown together, and split apart in multiple places. I find it hard to believe that his advice would work well for the style I am trying to achieve. I dont want to look like a homeless man.

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

okmn i intentionsly let them combine all your saying is your hair will dread ovcer night

so seperarte it into smaller dreads

thats all u need to do

thats all i did

these Re them at 18 years

now after this point or maybe a year b4 i started letting them combine

on purpose becauise the thinner dreads were breaking at ground level from wear and tear from dragging or being stepped on

so i want them to be thicker when the dreads at my head reach the ground in another 20 years

i hate to tell u thi9s but

if you have dreads haters will call you a dirty hippie

you wont "avoid the sterotype" you will invite it

you cant avoid other peopes ignorance

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1

updated by @soaring-eagle: 02/05/15 10:12:49AM
Emily Holman
@emily-holman
12 years ago
15 posts

well i backcombed my hair... which i wish i hadn't done b/c i now have hair follicles showing near the roots that look like dandruff so i can't tell you not to do that. if i had it to over again i wouldn't have but like you i wanted even sections

Now being a licensedcosmetologist myself i can tell you your friend has misguided you. First, most schools do not teach anything in regards to dreadlocks and any education you do get will be about chemically starting them. BAD BAD BAD for your hair. So he/she truly has no more knowledge on dreadlocks than what isavailableto you online.

Next, any cosmetologist should know better than to ever tell someone to leave rubber bands in there hair. they aren't even good to use at all but we do use them forseparatingor what not but leaving them in is a no no. They will pull hairs out, rot your hair andseverely damage and weaken the hair under them. I used rubber bands toseparatemy hair but they were in for a matter of hours not weeks.

Washing, there is no reason to wait weeks to wash your hair. your scalp will produce oil that isn't getting washed out ultimately slowing down your dreading. Also using any kind of wax is going to slow down your dreading by not allowing hair to move and knot up (i didn't want to believe this and have tried the wax route before to have a neater look... did not work). Also, dirty hair... not good. what will you say to the haters that accuse those of us with dreads of being dirty if you do in fact have a dirty head? Just sayin'.

Sounds like while your friend may have had good intentions she wasn't properly educated and whoever gave you the rest of the advice seemed to have a much better idea of what works for dreads. Hope that helps.. good luck

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

and while you live in fear of judgement ..not wanting to look like a homeless man and you reinforce the sterotype by letting it control u the dreads you call ratty and sloppy have been called the best dreads in the world thousands abnd thousands of times

and when i worked in an office in a business suire ..my photo was feartured on all the company promo stuff calanders posters mugs..i was the corporate image ..they used

Ryan C said:

Also, the man who gave me this advice im so sceptical about had very sloppy, rattly looking dreads (nothing like how i want mine to turn out) that have grown together, and split apart in multiple places. I find it hard to believe that his advice would work well for the style I am trying to achieve. I dont want to look like a homeless man.

--
Ryan C
@ryan-c
12 years ago
29 posts

Alright, I apologize for my attitude. I'm still new here and had no idea who is who. Obviously you are respectable in the community and i will think more about your guidance. Thanks thusfar for any advice, and Im sure ill be posting (more politely) again in the future!

Apologies again!

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

i would not recomend the crochet methjod its way ytoo damaging and delays progress by a good 6 months or lob=nger tnr is a better option

--
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

apology accepted but start off by reading the dreaducation page and the dread wax truth psages then the faqs

theres a ton of great info here many of the people started out like you did and had to dstart over or try to recover

so you can learn from their mistakes

--
☽ Jasper ☾
@jasper
12 years ago
29 posts

Most of this has been covered but I'll just reiterate a couple of points.
I hold no contempt towards back combing as many of my friends have back combed. Croquet on the other hand, in cases I've seen, truly stalls your progress.

Rubber bands can leave dents for many days to come, at the risk of sounding like a broken record, a very close friend of mine has had locks for 5 years--I could still point out the denting from keeping his bands in for a month within his first year.

Simply put, wax rots. Think of putting a chunk of wax in an enclosed, sometimes damp, warm space for years on end--it will mold and it will stink. Believe me the smell is foul. Its really awful and once you know the moldy rotting smell you will never forget it.

On the contrary I wash my baby locks about every two days, just last night a dread skeptic caught a whiff of my hair and gathered it up and smelled it again and again haha he must have liked it. Washing is refreshing and oily hairs just slide around on each other and its much harder to knot up. But enough out of me, blessed be your journey <3

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

i'll add to that

crochet (crouget is a silly game with hard balls and mallets) not only stalls progress but weakens dreads severely weve had 1 guy dive in a pool and 4 dreads floated away (high dive but ..thats like 5-8 feet) another had to put his dreads thru a sewing machine to sew them back together.. some crochet dreads break with just ounces of presure but the thing is therres no visible signs of danger no thinning no hanging by a strand.. they look perfectly fine but just are so weak they break

wax..wax can prevent dreading even after 5 yeaes! whats worse is it does start to rot insid your dreads theres a guy on facebook who had wax dreads a flie layed eggs in the wax which was rotting the eggs hatched.. maggots fed on his scalp..it was bloody it was infected he had to be hospitalized..and shaved

a year later hes dreading again and still thinks wax is a good idea..

some ppl never learn..

now think about this they say u shouldnt use hampoo with residue

but then tell you you HAVE TO use wax..a water proof residue that never washes out!

its sticky and dirt sticks to it..its maleable so water gets trapped in pockets as u palm roll

dirt..warter.. hair.. all trapped in wax with no air getting to it..perfect conditions for mold..nasty

--
 / 3

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form