Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

T&R, cannibal dreads, and resolving dandruff OhMY

CiArA
@ciara
12 years ago
25 posts

OK, first off i hope im not being tooooo repetitive with these ?s, it would take forever to look up everything one topic at a time. Im just over month 1 (yay!) of officialy T&R my super stubborn silky straight hair. For them only being a month, personally i think they look amazing and really need to post some pics asap. Have a few concerns though, anyone relating to or having any input....awesome.

1. ACV rinse...do i have tooooo??? I only wash with bs+oils...usually. and this is 1-2x a week, as Im conditioning my scalp which is going quite well. sometimes i'll do one bs/oil wash and one diluted dreadsafe shampoo (sprayed w/spray bottle to get the scalp clean, then rinsed), still just 2 washes a week tho. ABOUT DANDRUFF...ive always had a slight issue with this, which is clearing up, and the ONE acv rinse ive done in my 1st month seemed to help ALOT, but made my hair very soft, even tho i used very little. i'll have to adjust to even less if i get the courage to do it again. THE ??: if my scalp is ok and not really any itchies or dandruffs, and hair not brittle, do i HAVE to do acv??? cuz i really dont like to, dont want to. what happens if i never do, assuming i dont really need to as far as the dandruff is concerned (i.e, if its gone) can i just bs+oil wash and then use aloe in a spray now and again??? wouldnt it double as a lock accelerator annd moisturizer in one??? seems like my hair truly doesnt need moisturizer tho. never used to use conditioner till i started coloring my hair, and i havent even done that in like 2 yrs. im telling u this hair is stubborn with the silkness.

2. i separate best i can, but dont want to pull so hard that i break sections apart. my dreads are too new to be having breakage. at the same time, i feel a couple trying to eat each other anyway. ive got 3-4 cannibal dreads that im constantly supervising. i dont want to end up with a big problem, but is it easier to rip/pop them apart later on as long as this merging isnt CoMpLeTeLy outta control? i dont wanna break em! not now. should i worry??? also cant really see the back of my head that well so its hard to judge whilst separating, which hairs should be with which crazy dread. i do my best.

3.....silky straight hair is very stubborn. i know they will unravel some before truly locking up, but some try to get ridiculous on me. i have re-T&R to touch them up many times. is this bad??? im not doing it all the way up, but if i have more than 6" of hair that is rebelling and becoming baby soft and straight, i re-T&R the super str8 part to keep em in line. (mind u my hair is like 1.5 feet long at least)is this very damaging?? im not over here like ripping the hell outta my hair, but i do touch up every few days...being very careful about putting any stress on the roots, dont wanna end up with dreads popping off my head down the road.

4. beads! i put some wooden beads in but apparently their weight combined with my being a violent sleeper...well i found them in my bed. the bead holes werent very big at all, i def want my dreds to be fatter than that. so if i put a bead on, and boy do i have some knots that will keep them on....during the day....will said bead affect dread size??? or will it just get fat above and below the bead???? unfortunately even with some big fat personality knots i have going on that will def hold a bead, my tossing and turning is so serious it rips them out of my hair anywaay. not putting them back for awhile cuz im scared what effect it might have on such newlydreads :) but plz let me kno about the bead/ dread size relation, if any

i guess this is all. pics soon. peace guys! and thx for such a great and supposrtive and informative site, there is none other like this one

updated by @ciara: 01/13/15 09:23:08PM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

1 acv restores ph if ph stays off too long hair and scalp can get very dry itchy and maybe more (ask pantera)

2 seperate anytime therss conecting hairs to seperarte wait too long and u may never get em apart

3 dont tnr again your only setting p[rogress bacxk to day 1

if 1 knot remains in 36 inches more will add on eventual;y

4 beads if stuck will cause dreads to be thicker above and below but th9inner within

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Tara C
@tara-c
12 years ago
644 posts

1. I think ACV helps balance the pH, so I dunno what'll happen if you don't do it, but I imagine it will help you more if you do use it. Just use a small amount and see how it goes. Also, aloe vera is conditioning, so make sure you don't use too much of it if your dreads are still new. Sea salt spray works nicely as a "locking accelarator."

2. You don't have to separate as soon as they start joining, but it's easier than to wait until it's too far gone. I have a congo because I went months without separating because I just forgot it existed lol don't worry about breaking hairs, they're just some connecting hairs, it's not a big deal. Anyway, your sections won't stay sectioned. In my experience at least, the hairs end up going every way possible, so you're not always 100% sure which hair belongs in which dread.

3. It's not damaging, just counter-productive. Constantly messing with your hair makes it take longer. I know your hair's very straight, but it'll still dread even if it completely unravels, it just takes some time. Try the sea salt spray or locking gel from the dreadlockshampoo website, that's supposed to be good. But patience is the main ingredient, and unfortunately, that's the one that can't be bought.

4. I don't own a single dread bead, so I can't answer that one, sorry.

Sheribaby
@sheribaby
12 years ago
30 posts

This is not advice but I love that you call yourself a violent sleeper :)

CiArA
@ciara
12 years ago
25 posts

thx everyone soo much. yea ive been touching up less and less as i see it doesnt really do much after the first 2 days of doing it i guess i was doing it cuz i do have some great ones going, which i never touch, so when the other just get too loose i was doing it to also keep them separated. i get alot of loose hairs, which doesnt bother me, but when the "dreads" become undistinguishable im like aaaaah no! you get back over there and you! over there! patience patience patience. as for the acv, im only doing that as needed for now, maybe more later as they mature some. but if my scalp is happy, and hair is happy, no acv. know hwats weird??? ive left my bangs out, not dreading them, and it seems thats where my scalp gets the worst. stupid normal hairs. ugh.

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form