Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

is this supposed to happen?

Heather
@heather
12 years ago
1,291 posts

my hair was knotting up closer to my roots a couple of months ago but lately i've been noticing that its getting farther away from my scalp. its about 3 inches of normal hair before the dread. i stopped using sea salt a few months ago so i'm wondering if that has anything to do with it. the hair is super soft at the root, too. i'm currently washing with different shampoos i have on hand because i need to use them up before i can buy more. should i go back to using sea salt rinses?

updated by @heather: 02/14/15 09:49:08AM
Baba Fats
@baba-fats
12 years ago
2,702 posts

You could go back to using salt, but this is totally normal. Hair does't automatically grow into locks, as you've noticed through the early processes. But in time it will mat again into locks. Ask Eagle. He has a bunch of locks that have 1-3 inches of unknotted hair before they lock up.

Mine aren't 3 inches, but I, too, have an inch or so of straight hair before the lock. As time goes on and you wash and wash, that straight hair will mat and become part of the lock. Don't worry at all. It's natural.

Heather
@heather
12 years ago
1,291 posts

it just took so long for some of the more knotted dreads to finally get that knotted up. i'm just worried that they'll grow out somehow. i stopped doing sea salt because it was making my hair feel brittle. if feels a lot better now but the roots are soooo soft that i worry they won't knot back up.

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

i suspect its more the random shampoos your using

i dont have 3 inches loose at roots except on dreads that arejust forming

let someone without dreads use up the shamooss and u use just a dread freindly 1

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Heather
@heather
12 years ago
1,291 posts

the shampoos i'm using are the ones i've bought for my dreading hair. i had tried a bunch of different ones that others recommended in the beginning and i was just trying to use some of them up. i was using the dreadlock bar soap but it was undoing my ends so i stopped. i don't have the money right now to order more of the liquid soap.

soaring eagle said:

i suspect its more the random shampoos your using

i dont have 3 inches loose at roots except on dreads that arejust forming

let someone without dreads use up the shamooss and u use just a dread freindly 1

Baba Fats
@baba-fats
12 years ago
2,702 posts

undoing your ends? That makes it sound like you were washing your locks and not your scalp. I know you know already that you just ignore your hair and only wash your scalp. right?

ExaltHimx7
@exalthimx7
12 years ago
336 posts

I'm keeping my ends loose on purpose'] I LOVE how SillyWalkingMinister has the loose ends. Heather did you buy the locking gel? I've been putting a teaspoon of that to 16 oz water shaking the heck out of it and using that as an end rinse for my hair, seems productive...xo

Heather
@heather
12 years ago
1,291 posts

i know. the bars just make my hair super soft and i started to notice the ends weren't sticking together anymore. they only get soap on them when i rinse. it makes my roots soft too.

Baba Fats said:

undoing your ends? That makes it sound like you were washing your locks and not your scalp. I know you know already that you just ignore your hair and only wash your scalp. right?

Heather
@heather
12 years ago
1,291 posts

i like loose ends too but they started to progressively become looser and unknotting farther up. i don't have the locking gel. i actually think its too expensive for something that i could make myself. good idea though:)

ExaltHimx7 said:

I'm keeping my ends loose on purpose'] I LOVE how SillyWalkingMinister has the loose ends. Heather did you buy the locking gel? I've been putting a teaspoon of that to 16 oz water shaking the heck out of it and using that as an end rinse for my hair, seems productive...xo

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

ok i know your a shampoo expert haha just made it sound like u were using random shampoos

its funny the bars knot me up like crazy

and u have very hsrd water right?

i wonder if yiour waters more to blame then anythibg else i mean u tried dozens of shampoos..but u havent tried distilled water

you can distill your own water even make an easy to make solar still tyheres alot of ways to do t if u dont want to buy distilled water

and if that works maybe some sorta filter styatem will solve your problems?

Heather said:

i know. the bars just make my hair super soft and i started to notice the ends weren't sticking together anymore. they only get soap on them when i rinse. it makes my roots soft too.

Baba Fats said:

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
 / 3

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form