Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

All my awful dandruff has GONE!!!

Rachel NattyDee
@rachel-nattydee
12 years ago
53 posts

I am soooooooooo happy! For the last few weeks I have changed my wash routine slightly and all my dandruff has gone!!!

The difference seems to be Peppermint oil and Jojoba oil:

SE told me to try the peppermint oil, and the Jojoba was half price on offer so i just happened to try it.

I wash twice a week using the baking soda soak and acv rinse, and I add these essential oils to both: 20 drops of rosemary, 20 drops of lavender, 5 drops of tea tree and now 5 drops of peppermint.

Then after I have rinsed everything out I have been applying a few drops of jojoba oil in the partings where you can see my scalp, using my fingertips, and being careful not to use too much. The first time I tried it I did another rinse, but since then i've not rinsed the jojoba out and just let my hair dry, and both ways seem fine.

All the dandruff is gone! I did another wash minus the jojoba and had mild dandruff afterwards, so went back to applying it and it's gone again.

I've not noticed any problems with my dreads so far (they don't seem oily or too soft and conditioned) but that may be because of my hair type, and I'm not sure if people with different hair might find applying the jojoba every wash too much and it might undo baby dreads etc, but I wanted to share the fact that after 5 months of awful dandruff mine is GONE!! XXX

updated by @rachel-nattydee: 02/14/15 05:23:11AM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

good to hear

mines actualy been100% gone since switching to the new shampoo and i havent used the oils in months

but i cant say for absolute sure that it was 100% thatsince i at the exact same time came down with a rare skin condition (pemphugus) and n=been on heavy duty meds for that since so its ..slightly possible the meds may affect it too

i dunno

but i have not had a flake itch nothing since about 2 months ago or so

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Australe
@australe
12 years ago
60 posts

I'm hoping that over a period of time once my scalp adjusts to using BS/ACV that my dandruff will get better, the peppermint and rosemary has definitely helped with my itchy problems though... I think for the time being I should stay away from the jojoba oil since my dreads are only about 2 weeks old now. Thanks for the info though!!

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

ive said this b4 i had the worse scalp in history probly it was a s=disaster

the bs avcv and oils helped immenscly.. got it to about 80% healthy but after 3-4 days it was itchy and flaky and had chunks come off

the dreadlockshampoo.com soaps since using those i have not had a itch or flake and even wen i skip washing it still stays healthy

100%

in fact

it used to be i had to wash every 3-4 days or id be miserable and really feel like i had to wash desperately

now..i wash just cause its enjoyable and not cause i feel like i have to..at all

so might be worth trying at very least u can alternate or try it a couple times if it doesnt work as good as i think it will save it till they are mature

--
Blessed Earth Mama
@blessed-earth-mama
12 years ago
72 posts

Oh congrats! That must feel so amazing!!! I have been dealing with horrible dandruff for years now. :/ I hope I find a routine soon that works for me too.. I am afraid to try jojoba on my head though since I just started dreading my hair again... I have never been good about washing my hair often. I am washing once a week right now. How often is safe forabout 2 weeknew dreads?

I have tried the BS/ACV and the new dreadlock shampoos and the essential oils but I haven't found the solution yet.. I do know I am SO sick of it though. :( I wouldn't leave the house without a hat on almost everyday for at least the past 2 maybe 3 years. :( My hair is dark so it shows up even worse..

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

what ya washing with now?

--
Blessed Earth Mama
@blessed-earth-mama
12 years ago
72 posts

The liquid patchouli shampoo. I will be trying the BS/ACV again soon I just love the shampoo. :D I did BS/ACV for a little while awhile back and it didn't seem to clear up my issue... That is why I wonder if there is another issue causing me to have such a problem with it.. I just stopped eating gluten and so far that has not changed my scalp at all. I was hoping it might as some allergies can cause dandruff from what I have read.

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

u du=id just start dreading tioo which takes a lil for the scalp to adjust

i use the bars which work wonders

oh how often do u wash too and ..have u tried the cold rinse

do u wash with real hortt? hot water can dry tyhe hell out of scalps

so it might not even technicaly be dandruff just druy itchy scalp

hot water..sea salt..itch

if you use sea salt too much that will really iritate the scalp

--
Rachel NattyDee
@rachel-nattydee
12 years ago
53 posts

I hope you find something that works for you soon, yeah maybe avoid trying the jojoba until they are more mature, but washing often is good and will help the dreading process, I wash at least twice a week! x

Blessed Earth Mama said:

Oh congrats! That must feel so amazing!!! I have been dealing with horrible dandruff for years now. :/ I hope I find a routine soon that works for me too.. I am afraid to try jojoba on my head though since I just started dreading my hair again... I have never been good about washing my hair often. I am washing once a week right now. How often is safe forabout 2 weeknew dreads?

I have tried the BS/ACV and the new dreadlock shampoos and the essential oils but I haven't found the solution yet.. I do know I am SO sick of it though. :( I wouldn't leave the house without a hat on almost everyday for at least the past 2 maybe 3 years. :( My hair is dark so it shows up even worse..

Rachel NattyDee
@rachel-nattydee
12 years ago
53 posts

Wow thank you so much for the lovely compliment ; ) Do persist with the washing as it will work out in the end, but I'm not sure the jojoba is safe for baby dreads - mine are 5 months now - I've not had any problems but I wouldn't want to advise others in case it does loosen knots and soften too much.

I also spray my scalp with a water spray with a few drops of the same oils I use in the wash, as it stopped the terrible itching, and reduced the dandruff.

one love xxx

Jenzi Zillig said:

Thank you for sharing this, Rachel!! I came across your photos last week and I just LOVE your dreads, your curls are amazing! We have almost the same hairtype, although mine seems like it may be a bit more coarse. I too have been dealing with dandruff and my washes don't go exactly as planned or as described by most. Glad to see some answers from someone that I can relate to on the curly level :) Keep em coming because I'm still in the baby phase at just a few weeks and this is really helpful!

/ 2

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form