Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

its just not dreading.

Aspin Crowder
@aspin-crowder
12 years ago
7 posts

so ive been dreading for 5 months now and it just seems everyone else is soo ahead of me. the sides of my hair just dont seem to want to lock up. its frustrating at times because people ask me why is your hair not locking up in the front and only the back. is there something i can do to help my hair or is it just best to let it do what it wants to do.

/

updated by @aspin-crowder: 01/13/15 09:19:19PM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

It's normal to dread first where you sleep. You can try wearing a tam to redistribute the pressure. But it's completely normal to dread like that. Just wait a few more months five months is really that far in. They should only be about halfway dreaded by now.

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Aspin Crowder
@aspin-crowder
12 years ago
7 posts

yeah thats what my dad said cause heused to have them. he said it took his 2 full years tobe a nice full head of locs. so it should be okay(: thanks!

soaring eagle said:

It's normal to dread first where you sleep. You can try wearing a tam to redistribute the pressure. But it's completely normal to dread like that. Just wait a few more months five months is really that far in. They should only be about halfway dreaded by now.

Nicholas janousek
@nicholas-janousek
12 years ago
49 posts

yeah that's how mine are i have a few decent sized ones up front but the rest are real skinny try a tam like SE said or well what helped me a little bit sleep with a headband that keeps your hair back while you sleep so it gets somewhat the same treatment as your back dreads but still give them the freedom to move and maybe try sea salt sprays or if you live near the ocean take a dip or that new locking gel stuff :]

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

One thing I do,It's kind of silly, just pull my T-shirt up over my head. So the neckline is around my hairline and all my hairs inside the T-shirt.

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Heather
@heather
12 years ago
1,291 posts

haha! that's brilliant!

soaring eagle said:

One thing I do,It's kind of silly, just pull my T-shirt up over my head. So the neckline is around my hairline and all my hairs inside the T-shirt.

Heather
@heather
12 years ago
1,291 posts

a ton of my hair on the sides isn't locked either and i'm at 16 months. the hair on the sides is finer and softer than the rest of my head so i think that's why it isn't locking up. it probably will over time but if not then i'm fine with it:) try spraying that hair with sea salt. it will give it more grip.

Angel Frye
@angel-frye
12 years ago
409 posts

I've got a lot of fly aways on the upper layers, Heather, and that's at three months with very curly hair. I've started washing my hair more frequently with BS now at every three days instead of four. The pounding of the water on my head + gravity + the slightly drying action of the BS does help a bit but I still have that horrid halo of fuzz. The first year is juts plain nuts, I think.

Aspin, do you sleep on your back or have something behind your head a lot? If so then that'd be one possible explanation of the back-dreading but none on the sides. Try to sleep more on your sides.

Also, we tend to touch the hair on either side of our face more frequently that the back. That is one real reason for the lack-o-locks there. I noticed that once I slapped my hands down and changed my behavior I got more locking going on. Also, when I did slip a bit and try to pat my hair down or rearrange it a bit on the front/sides my nails and fingertips snag really badly on the knots. THAt'S progress! When you snag and bitch about it, you're doing good. I still sometimes blindly try to run my fingers through my hair starting at the roots and about an inch down I'm put to a dead stop by knots. That's when I remember that I'm not supposed to be doing what I am.

Just leave it alone, sweety. Let your hair make up it's mind and it'll get in gear when it's ready.

All too soon you'll be starting or replying to a thread about 'help me manage my congos!!' It gets out of control pretty quick once it starts.

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form