Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

New to the site, after months of lurking- and need some.. support maybe?

Lauren Sweeney
@lauren-sweeney
12 years ago
3 posts
It's been 9 months since I first back combed and My dreads were born! :)I've come to this site now and again to read and look at all the beautiful locks, before and after I started to dread.Its been kind of a crazy journey already. I haven't used any product, except for washing with baking soda, and rinsing with vinegar. I cannot say I haven't been tempted to use a crappy product. My dreads look pretty good- but underneath they are pretty gnarly. stray locks of hair, really large bumps pushing out of a dread- and I get frustrated at times with it. My dreads are also all different sizes, but I don't mind that so much. They kinda do their own thing.Yet- when I see people with dreads that are gnarly and bumpy, I think they look beautiful. I love decorating them, tying very old Chinese coins in them (will have to post pics of that, I love it) But anyway: yes. I get frustrated. I rip em apart, twist and rip, and roll them (yet not as often as I should?) and they still go crazy!Also, In the past 9 months I have been subjected to being treated badly for them. I get compliments, but I've had a full grown man get in my face yelling at me that white people disgrace dreadlocks, etc, etc. Quite a few times it's happened. It's been weird.I'm sure I'm not the only one who is dealing with maintenance issues, or possibly strangers making a scene about your hair?? I hope not. Anyway, sorry for the long post- Thank you for reading, I'd love to hear any responses. :)
updated by @lauren-sweeney: 01/13/15 09:18:56PM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

I've only had one stranger act like that in my life, just ignore him is their problem, not yours. As far as maintenance. I've never done anything

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Lauren Sweeney
@lauren-sweeney
12 years ago
3 posts
I was hoping to hear from you! :) you have amazing dreadlocks. I don't know why I've had conflict with them. I get a few dirty looks, but there have been a few times people have been hostile with me- and it's usually because of race. So, I guess I just keep on keeping on with my dreadlocks.. let 'em do their thing? :) You roll them here and there, though- I'm guessing? Mine are still pretty young, so I have a long way to go. :)
Lauren Sweeney
@lauren-sweeney
12 years ago
3 posts
I think I replied to my own post instead of yours. O.O lol yay being a newb.
Tara C
@tara-c
12 years ago
644 posts

I haven't had anyone say anything bad about my dreadlocks...but I hardly ever go out. I definitely have maintenence issues though. Little things about it annoy me at times, but my hair's always been wild and unmanageable, so it's not such a huge transition. It's normal to feel frustrated about it at times I'm sure, but hey, ignorant people are...ignorant. They're not even worth letting their comments get to you, cos dreads are fantastic. I always look at other people's (the "perfect" ones and the crazy ones) and think they look way better than mine, but I still love mine for what they are. Everyone's hair dreads differently and creates a different look. Oh, and rolling doesnt really do anything (if you mean palm rolling). I tried it for...a day...and then realised that it only makes them look round and neater for about five minutes lol. They round out on their own eventually, for the most part.

Andres2
@andres2
12 years ago
70 posts

well like you im a lurker. theres this dread that i find annoying. its just one dread with a flatted ball at the tip. its been like for a few months. or though its getting loops at the umm shaft of the dread. i guess its getting better. like everyone i get nasty looks. by now i just ignore them and smile haha

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form