Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

TO CUT OR NOT TO CUT

Aliya Starr
@aliya-starr
12 years ago
5 posts

Do I need to cut my hair? I'm about 4 months in on the dreading process. I had a straightening perm in January 2011 and several months later decided that I wasn't going to put any more chemicals in my hair and decided on wearing dreads. I started out with twists in September, my hair texture is thick and the ends show signs that my hair was processed. Well after going to the salon to get my hair twisted, the stylist told me that I would eventually have to cut my hair. I really don't want to cut it, but I need to know if it is necessary. I went to the stylist only once as I'm very athletic, do a lot walking, some jogging, lots of Zumba, and therefore sweat. So after about 2 weeks I washed my hair and retwisted on my own using the a loc gel as the stylist did it. The gel wasn't holding so I went to a resistant formula. After a few days I washed my hair again, and continued this pattern. The more I exercise, the more I need to wash because of the sweating. So after reading on this sight and seeing that I don't need to retwist, that they do grow naturally and I just use shampoo to wash, sea salt & water, sometimes vinegar and water and I turned to aloe vera as I would retwist. I'm weaning from the habit of needing to retwist, my hair is holding together after being washed but still have that nagging question of whether or not my hair needs to be cut. Well does it? Help me please. Attaching a few pictures that I took today so there's a better understanding of my dreadiness.

Aliya

updated by @aliya-starr: 01/13/15 09:17:44PM
Diva Locks
@diva-locks
12 years ago
13 posts

dont cut them. Just treat them asunruly teenagers and bear with them. They willmaturein time , someday, like human teenagers lol

Janice
@janice
12 years ago
49 posts

I would not cut them.

Aliya Starr
@aliya-starr
12 years ago
5 posts

Thanks to Janice and Diva Locks. I had no clue after talking with the stylist, she was saying cut, and I was shaking my head no! lol

Aliya Starr
@aliya-starr
12 years ago
5 posts

My pictures came out sideways from phone, so I had to upload them again.

Baba Fats
@baba-fats
12 years ago
2,702 posts

Not at all. Perming does do some damage, but if you just let your hair grow, and take better care of it from now on, it will heal itself

ExaltHimx7
@exalthimx7
12 years ago
336 posts

they look like they are on their way! good!! don't cut, Chica, they look off to a great start']

Aliya Starr
@aliya-starr
12 years ago
5 posts

Thank You! I take all the advice to heart... Thanks.

ExaltHimx7 said:

they look like they are on their way! good!! don't cut, Chica, they look off to a great start']

Aliya Starr
@aliya-starr
12 years ago
5 posts

Thank you! I'm taking much better care of my hair, no chemicals. I've learned from this site that all of the unnecessary products aren't needed. So I feel I'm on my way now.

Baba Fats said:

Not at all. Perming does do some damage, but if you just let your hair grow, and take better care of it from now on, it will heal itself

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form