Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

letting go- how my loopy dreads point out neurosis

Angel Frye
@angel-frye
13 years ago
409 posts

Wow. I just got educated. Thank you so much.

Looking around at suppliers NOW I understand why the size of the yarn is usually so small; because of the baby fine hairs. Makes sense.

A 60/40 mix would probably work best for a pillowcase that'll have a moving face and hair on it pressing down. Hmm.. I'll have to search some more, I suppose. I've only found 100% alpaca suppliers so far.

What is mixed with the alpaca to make it thicker? Wool or cotton?

updated by @angel-frye: 07/25/15 09:12:41AM
RSavage26
@rsavage26
12 years ago
50 posts

My hair is pretty "nappy", so I don't get loops. I've been letting my hair dread for about 7 months, but I think I hurt my progress by constantly separating my hair. So I've decided to just stop doing it except maybe every other time I shampoo. I get these tiny hair balls on the ends of my developing locs. Sometimes I find it cute and other times I worry that I'm doing it wrong. It takes a lot of guts and confidence to go organic I've realized. The only people who have supported me are my cousin and my younger brother and sister. Haven't gotten any bullshit comments from strangers though, so that's nice.

Aya Heartright
@aya-heartright
12 years ago
91 posts

lol. I get comments from people who have/previously had dreads telling me what to do. There is a girl at work that had freeform dreads that she calls "gross as trainhopper dreads".... I never saw them but she comes up to me and plays with my dreads and tells me that I should do all this maintenance that she never did to make them look better. Meh. I'm ok with my loopies right now, at least enought hat I don't want to undo and re-backcomb them every few months that seems HORRIBLE.

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

why want or expect "perfect" or "uniform" dreads 'prefferably soon"?

if you had a child missing as thumb, or with an extra foot would you love them any less? hide them away fill them with shame for even existing?

or would you love them that much more for their uniqueness

would you wake up every morning thinking oh god what if he grows a tail or loses a toe..would you wake up expecting the worse and looking for signs of it?

or just take each day as it comes

ld be loving each and every 1 of them as an extention of your soul..your personality..your being..let yourself be as loopy as your dreads are trying to be you probably all your life tried not to stick out in the crowd, tried not to appear too loopy to ypur peers well youiur dreads are giving you the permission u need to really be you..be loopy wild and..freeeeeeeeeee

embrace your inner loopiness and be wild

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Aya Heartright
@aya-heartright
12 years ago
91 posts

noodle-do, I looooove that photo and your comparison. Thank you so much <3

Baba Fats
@baba-fats
12 years ago
2,702 posts

nature does take it's course. And sometimes it reverses it. There was an earthquake several hundred years ago in the midwest United States that reversed the course of the Mississippi river. (It only lasted a few hours or a day).

That being said, those loops and kink happen by nature. And sometimes nature will take it course and undo them. After years they might be pinched off or get matted down into the lock and you'll never know it was goofy looking when it first started.

You just have to embrace them. Who doesn't like the oddities in each one of us? Our hair should be them same. Each lock has an identity of it's own and we should respect them for it.

By the way, I love that picture and the analogy with it. Beautiful

Baba Fats
@baba-fats
12 years ago
2,702 posts

::hug::

Fitz the viking
@fitz-the-viking
12 years ago
9 posts
I think its one of those spend your life looking for the perfect blossom things. Once its driven you completely insane you will realise they are all perfect. All individual, all perfect, but loops do drive me crazy. Damn things look mental some times. Means you can wear cool beads and wraps.
updated by @fitz-the-viking: 07/20/15 12:13:06PM
AlyssaAnne
@alyssaanne
12 years ago
15 posts

tell me about it! i have some of the worst loops ive ever seen but im just trying to stick with it. ever dread lis loopy.

Baba Fats
@baba-fats
12 years ago
2,702 posts

Thank you. Locks will never be complete. We all use the term journey (myself included) like there is a destination. Even when your original locks finally mature, there are going to be tons of baby ones just starting out.

/ 2
Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form