Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Dreadful Greasy Kitchen

Ryan Bermingham
@ryan-bermingham
13 years ago
6 posts

Hey so i have seen some previous posts discussing and issue quite similar to mine just thought i would post to see if i could get more specific help. So i work in an ultra grease filled kitchen 5 days a week and i am planning on starting my dreads in about a month after nearly a year of debate i have decided it is time. My plan is have them sectioned off and back combed and then for an initial 1-3 months not wash them. I see great debate/controversy over how quickly and how often immature dreads are to be washed. My friend and my brother both have or had them and i felt as thought back combing combined with not washing for a couple months seemed to do them well. My issue is the fact that i will be working in this kitchen quite often and i was wondering what my best form of action would be. I've seen it posted to cover them with plastic then wrap them that makes alot of sense to me but even so it may not do the trick how long should I wait to wash my new dreads and from that point how often should i regularly wash factoring in that they will be exposed to extreme amounts of grease regularly. Thanks in advance to anyone who replies, this website is the shit haha.

updated by @ryan-bermingham: 01/13/15 09:15:20PM
K.E.
@ke
13 years ago
35 posts

NATURAL! FREE FORM! BACKCOMBING's BAD! NOT WASHING?! NASTY! .. Naw I'm fukn w/ you lol. When I first got mine did I only went like 2 weeks w/out washin. I don't see how you could go that long workin like that, you gon be one stankin mufuca lol. I don't see what plastic is gon do, & I don't get how grease gon get in yo hair. You gon be sweatin! Wait uh lil while after you first get em done, then wash whenever needed..

Ryan Bermingham
@ryan-bermingham
13 years ago
6 posts

even after washing my clothes numerous times and with some crazy shit the grease is still stuck in them so i could see it making my hair smell or just getting stuck in there

Ryan Bermingham
@ryan-bermingham
13 years ago
6 posts

but i appreciate the insight man

Baba Fats
@baba-fats
13 years ago
2,702 posts

I worked in a kitchen for years with my locks. So I went threw all of the stages of locking while in a greasy kitchen. It's not too bad. I'd keep your head covered with a simple black tam. Most jobs won't mind, in fact they'll appreciate the effort to have a hair net. Just make sure you wash the hat regularly. And DO wash your hair.
It's nasty not to. If they're new, every 3-4 days should be good, let them completely dry between washes or you'll get moldy. No one wants that. That smells worse than the grease.

The more you wash new locks, the better they form. As they mature, you'll need to wash them less and less. I've had mine for 5 years, and wash once a week if that. I just do it whenever I feel they need it.

Working in a kitchen is tough work. Good luck. I'm glad I got out. I love to cook, but it was a little too much for me. I can't wait to get out of college and get into my career

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form