Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

baking soda drying my scalp dandruff problems

Nicholas janousek
@nicholas-janousek
9 years ago
49 posts

so I'm about 4 months in my natural dreadlocking journey. I rinse my dreads with baking soda about every 2-3 days and my dad pointed out to me that my scalp is really dandruffy and dry and the only thing i can really think would cause that is the baking soda is theyre anything i can do that will help keep my scalp from getting to dry but wont affect my dreading process?


updated by @nicholas-janousek: 02/14/15 10:10:11AM
Castaway J
@castaway-j
9 years ago
585 posts

are you following up with an apple cider vinegar rinse? that should help stabilize the pH of your hair n scalp...if your 4 months in you should be able to at least gently massage your scalp when washing and this will help to break up the exfoliated skin on your scalp helping to relieve it from your hair. im only two months in and have had the same issue, but now i massage my scalp and the dandruff/white build up of exfoliated skin is less n less.

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
9 years ago
29,435 posts

yea if your not doing acv do it too alkaline and the scalp gets fried

teatree and rosemary is good to add too




--
30 years growing dreadlocks the natural way
My dreads are over 10 feet long

also on the board of, and a student glider pilot with freedoms wings international - soaring for people with disabilities
Nicholas janousek
@nicholas-janousek
9 years ago
49 posts

hmm oh ok i see so your saying after i start my rinse i can just kinda massage my scalp and itll help loosen it? ill try that the next time i wash and ill probably pick up some acv today do i need to dilute it with water or just use it by itself?

and ive been wanting to get some rosemary and stuff but i cant find it where i live :/

Change~ said:

are you following up with an apple cider vinegar rinse? that should help stabilize the pH of your hair n scalp...if your 4 months in you should be able to at least gently massage your scalp when washing and this will help to break up the exfoliated skin on your scalp helping to relieve it from your hair. im only two months in and have had the same issue, but now i massage my scalp and the dandruff/white build up of exfoliated skin is less n less.

Castaway J
@castaway-j
9 years ago
585 posts

yeah rosemary also helps a lot, order online if you have to. its worth it.

Castaway J
@castaway-j
9 years ago
585 posts

oh yeah, dilute the acv, in water you dont want to have to strong of a solution and jst pour it on then rinse it out. you just need it to run the length of you hair n your good.

Nicholas janousek said:

hmm oh ok i see so your saying after i start my rinse i can just kinda massage my scalp and itll help loosen it? ill try that the next time i wash and ill probably pick up some acv today do i need to dilute it with water or just use it by itself?

and ive been wanting to get some rosemary and stuff but i cant find it where i live :/

Change~ said:

are you following up with an apple cider vinegar rinse? that should help stabilize the pH of your hair n scalp...if your 4 months in you should be able to at least gently massage your scalp when washing and this will help to break up the exfoliated skin on your scalp helping to relieve it from your hair. im only two months in and have had the same issue, but now i massage my scalp and the dandruff/white build up of exfoliated skin is less n less.

taye
@taye
9 years ago
833 posts

for your whole life...you have combed or brushed your hair. Brushing massages your scalp, loosening dead skin. Brushing takes that dead skin from the roots and distributes it through the length and out the bottom. Your scalp has gotten used to that routine. For the past 4 months you have not brushed or combed. Your scalp is rebelling. It is normal. You probably have about the same amount of flaking, it is just more noticable because it is hanging around your roots now. Most people with dreads have expeirenced the same problem. Also the change of season effects our skin. Winter dries us out.

I found that by gentley scratching my scalp before i wash helps loosen up the dead dry skin. It makes it easier to wash away. Gentle is the key word here. you don't want a bloody scalp (It also promotes blood circulation which can help it grow faster). Either way....it feels really good :)

Lazdaa
@lazdaa
9 years ago
81 posts

remember the acv rinse and u should wash 1 or 2 times a week..

Currently im only washing once every week

Nicholas janousek
@nicholas-janousek
9 years ago
49 posts

i would do that but my hair gets really oily and grimey

Lazdaa said:

remember the acv rinse and u should wash 1 or 2 times a week..

Currently im only washing once every week

Nicholas janousek
@nicholas-janousek
9 years ago
49 posts

k this helps alot guys thank you very much!

but i have one fore question how should i mix the acv and water like half and half or like a fouth and three- fourths or what? haha sorry i can be kinda ocd about that stuff

 / 2
 
Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form