Like this page? Then share it!
Dreadlocks Site Highly Recommends dreadlockshampoo.com

Dreadlocks Forums

My roots grow out to longer than 6 inches.

cameron f
@cameron-f
6 years ago
3 posts

I've had dreads for about ten years, and the loose hair around the roots has always grown out to longer than 6 inches, sometimes much longer. I tend to tie the roots in with cotton thread about once a year, and it works fine. It might make the dreads thinner, though, and it always takes a fair while.

I wash them often (with only shampoo), and I surf all the time, but they never seem to grow back in by themselves. Any suggestions on why that might be, or hints on how to get them to grow back into the dreads without assistance?

updated by @cameron-f: 01/13/15 09:07:54PM
oostan heimach
@oostan-heimach
6 years ago
38 posts
wash with baking soda?
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
6 years ago
28,054 posts

yea whatrf shampoo are u using i bet ya your conditioning without realizing

that or the way u dry it or your soimehoe finger combing

i condition often

and my roots get long

i stop conditioning and use sea salt instead and they dread up in a week

--
Creator and head dreadhead at:
Dreadlocks Site
Glider pilot student at:
Freedoms wings international
cameron f
@cameron-f
6 years ago
3 posts

Would baking soda really help it dread? I can imagine how it would clean them, but I can't think what it would do to make them more likely to tangle up. At least not more than all the salty stickiness I get from being in the ocean all the time. I'll certainly give it a go, though.

I use all different shampoos, but not really often. Once a month or less. When it's wet I just leave it loose until it air-dries, sometimes wrapping it in a scarf. When it's dry I pretty much always have it tied up on top of my head. No combing. The only thing I can think that I do is often shake the dreads to flick water out and speed the drying.

Thanks for your thoughts, though. Much appreciated.

Tori
@tori
6 years ago
34 posts

maybe try not having it tied back for a while? that has helped my roots knot up much quicker.

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
6 years ago
28,054 posts

yea i sdee a copuple issues

all kindsa of shampoos right theres a issue not all shampoos are dread freindly

washing once a month also an issue they should be washed 1-3 times a week

clean hair dreads better

and lastly always having em tied up

let em be loose and free to move

the bs will help because they will be clean!

cameron f said:

Would baking soda really help it dread? I can imagine how it would clean them, but I can't think what it would do to make them more likely to tangle up. At least not more than all the salty stickiness I get from being in the ocean all the time. I'll certainly give it a go, though.

I use all different shampoos, but not really often. Once a month or less. When it's wet I just leave it loose until it air-dries, sometimes wrapping it in a scarf. When it's dry I pretty much always have it tied up on top of my head. No combing. The only thing I can think that I do is often shake the dreads to flick water out and speed the drying.

Thanks for your thoughts, though. Much appreciated.

--
Creator and head dreadhead at:
Dreadlocks Site
Glider pilot student at:
Freedoms wings international
ExaltHimx7
@exalthimx7
6 years ago
338 posts
Welcome!! yep, they don't dread while wet, they need to be free and dry, so I'd keep 'em loose and shampoo at least every 3 days with a clarifying shampoo---I dilute about 1/3 to 1/4 Suave Clarifying shampoo with 2/3 to 3/4 water, rinse well and then use ACV water 1/5 to 4/5 then rinse well with clear cool water. God bless your journey']
Andrea Schneider
@andrea-schneider
6 years ago
52 posts

i use a mixture of nutragena (sp) anti-residue and baking soda. gets then squeaky clean and knots up the roots well.

cameron f
@cameron-f
6 years ago
3 posts

Thanks heaps, team dreadlocks! You guys are radical-swellness condensed into digital form. I'll try all your suggestions.

Heather
@heather
6 years ago
1,294 posts
if your going to use shampoo then look for ones that say clarifying or for oily hair. also you might be getting an oily build up on your scalp from only washing once a month. that oil will gradually migrate down your hair which would soften your roots and make them less likely to dread. definitely washing more often (at least once a week) would probably help a ton. good luck to you;)
Dislike 0

Share This

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
Contact Form