Like this page? Then share it!
Dreadlocks Site Highly Recommends dreadlockshampoo.com

Dreadlocks Forums

Washing dreads in the early stages (Question)

Somastefan
@somastefan
6 years ago
17 posts

Hi,

I'm about 5 months into my natural journey. I started off washing my dreads about twice a week with baking soda, oils and cider rinse. It's becoming a really laborious process and I'm about to buy some (probably lush) soap for when I bathe much more often. My question is, as two people have now said I should do, is it ok to just not wash my hair? I know keeping them clean helps them knot as they're dryer, but I want to know if I'll be at risk from anything by not washing them at all for say, 3 months.

Thank you for your time

Stefan

updated by @somastefan: 02/14/15 08:24:09AM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
6 years ago
28,062 posts

umm grossness?

the airs full of polutants (and now radiation thnks to japan) anfd grime u sweat u get dirty they wuill get gross

3 months without washing? your scalp will be a bloody messs from scratching it will come off in chunks

ive done 2 months just cause we hacd no running water and it was gross

horrifying

never will do that again

i was gbegging for a chance to wassh them

i ended up washing them outside in a bucket in the col;dest weather i ever experiences

it was like -14 i had to do it fast as hell so i wouldnt freeze

it was brotally cold but i didn care i had to wash my hair

wash them plz

--
Creator and head dreadhead at:
Dreadlocks Site
Glider pilot student at:
Freedoms wings international
Winnie
@winnie
6 years ago
5 posts

trust me when i say that you will stink!!

before i had my dreads, my son had his hair in dreads and didnt wash them for prolly about 3 months (back in the days where i knew nothing about maintenance) and he was just a kid, and he STUNK! its not pleasant honestly.. why dont you just do all the kaffuful with the ACV and oils just once a week and if you need to wash inbetween try a soap bar like bronners? :o)

Somastefan
@somastefan
6 years ago
17 posts

i feel silly now for not thinking about the smell. thanks for the quick replies. I will try some residue free bar soap for when I'm in the bath and will continue with the BS/Oils/ACV maybe once every two weeks.

Mary
@mary
6 years ago
140 posts

Don't feel silly, now you know. When I first got my dreads I was told to wait a month and then wash them with a stocking cap on. That one is kind of useless. You should seriously wash your dreads more often. Unlike cornrows and box braids your hair will not grow because of the dirt.

Choppah
@choppah
6 years ago
20 posts

i worked down at the beach when my dreads were 2 months old and i took a bath every day for 1 month and rinsed them when was done bathing.. they have dreaded like crazy so i have abused salt water to the limit and it helps.. they did not unravel at all, and all the loose hairs started making new ones as i went with tnr.. clean dreads are healthy dreazzzah

Somastefan
@somastefan
6 years ago
17 posts

washing with a stocking cap on sounds ridiculous, Mary! who told you to do that? Choppah, I'd love to live by the sea, you just reminded me to continue with salt water spraying my hair. thanks for your replies guys, take care.

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
6 years ago
28,062 posts

some sites recomend redidculouse things

--
Creator and head dreadhead at:
Dreadlocks Site
Glider pilot student at:
Freedoms wings international
Somastefan
@somastefan
6 years ago
17 posts

I'm just happy to have found, early on, a site that doesn't lie about dreads.

Somastefan
@somastefan
6 years ago
17 posts

yeah totally. the thing is is at first when somebody mentioned they didn't wash it at the beginning, my feelings were; no way, i LIKE having clean hair and I will wash it often. but then i started to doubt my feelings and like the idea of being lazy. damn that doubt!

/ 2

Dislike 0

Share This

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
Contact Form