Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Dreadlocks-- Neglect Method-- Crazy "New Growth". Please Help!!!

Michael B2
@michael-b2
13 years ago
3 posts

Hello. I've been reading this forum for about a month now and have decided to ask for some advice. About seven years ago I quit brushing my hair and the result was Dreadlocks! For those seven years I just neglected my hair, washing it about once every two weeks. I've never had it twisted, interlocked, palmed rolled or etc. As a result I have a CRAZY amount of new growth.. My head is half dreads and half normal hair. I know that every one on here says to just leave your hair be and it will eventually dread. Well that isn't working for me. So I need your guys advice, please!

I am just basically tired of the messy look but I want to keep my locs. I went to two salons here in Atlanta and they suggested that I try interlocking. The generalconsensuson this forum is that interlocking is bad bad bad and I trust youropinions. It is extra bad to me because the ladies want $150 to do it. I don't know about you, but I can't spend that kind of money on my hair. The salon ladies saidthattwisting will not work because my hair is not "kinky" enough ( I am half black and half white). I am thinking about recruiting a friend and working on my dreads myself but I do not know where to start. I will post some pictures on here soon so you can get an idea about what I'm dealing with and I also put up a quick video on youtube. Thanks for your help.!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fBmfMhz_y0c

updated by @michael-b2: 01/13/15 09:06:27PM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
13 years ago
29,640 posts

what are u washing with what if anything do u do to them i bet changung how u wash asdd some sea salt soaks and watch it dread

the hair dreded on its own in the begining

since then u changed something thats now preventig the dreading

how u wash is mostlikely the cause plus u should be washing more then every 2 weeks

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Michael B2
@michael-b2
13 years ago
3 posts
Thanks for the reply! When it first began to dread I washed it with regular shampoos, like, suave but I also had swim practice in a pool three or four days a week. I would just rinse my hair after swimming but not wash it. Do you think the chlorine could have helped it lock?About 3 months ago I started washing it wish Dr. Bronner's Magic Soap, baking soda, and apple cider vinegar. A friend of mine suggested the mixture. I will definitely try the sea salt. I appreciate the advice and I will give updates!
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
13 years ago
29,640 posts

whebn did the drezding stop was it when u changed how u washed or when u stopped wetting it all the time try washing at least weekly or more

ids it dry or oily african hauir doesnt get oily but being 1/2 ..it might tho i think usualy it tends not to

maybe try switchin to maylees but do the sea salt spray a couple hours b4 u wash

--
Michael B2
@michael-b2
13 years ago
3 posts

It basically stopped when I quit wetting it all the time. It gets oily sometimes but not too bad.

Where can I find maylees? Supermarkets like whole foods or online?

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
13 years ago
29,640 posts

click the shops link right on the site

the vinagers gonna make it oily er

so try maylees and wash 2-3 times a week..at least 1 time a week and try the sea salt sprays 2 hours b4 u wash

or if your hnear rthe beach just hop in the ocean a few times a weeek

--
taye
@taye
13 years ago
833 posts

i think your dreads are beautiful. I personally like the loose new growth hair mixed in with the dreads. But what ever you do ....do not interlock it. the area that is interlocked will be very weak. I promise it is not the way to go. Why spend $150. to have someone ruin your hair? It may look more "professional" for a little while..but the damage shows up later on.

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
13 years ago
29,640 posts

especially when all u need is to wash more

--
Rosie Ford
@rosie-ford
13 years ago
12 posts

You're not mixing Dr. Bronners, baking soda, and apple cider vinegar all TOGETHER, are you? If you mix the baking soda and vinegar they neutralize each other. And it's not necessary to use Dr B's AND bs/acv. Pick one- Either use Dr. Bronner's (mixed 1 part soap to 12 parts water) OR use 1-2 tablespoons baking soda mixed with a cup or so of water FOLLOWED BY (not mixed with) 1-3 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar mixed with a cup or so of water. Let the baking soda soak for five or ten minutes, and you can let the acv soak if you like but it's not necessary.

So, Dr B's or bs/acv. Alternate if you like, but they don't need to be used at the same time. And if you mix bs with acv, they become useless. And wash twice a week or so. Good to go.

That should help. <3

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
13 years ago
29,640 posts

be sure u rinse out the bs b4 u do acv thry dont exactly nutralize themselves they chemicaly reacte semi violently in foam and head creating a seperate chemical u dopnt want

--
Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form