Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

ouch, ouch, OUCH!!!

Heather
@heather
13 years ago
1,291 posts
really? the only reason i wear the tam to bed is to keep my hair out of my face or from getting pulled during the night. it really hasn't done much help in the way of encouraging knotting. i'll try sleeping without it for a while and see how it goes. i just wish my hair would hurry up and knot already. its so slow going.

NaturalWomyn said:
it's from wearing the tam to bed, it may not seem like it but that will cause them to turn around. It happened to all my front ones from wearing headbands. once they grow out they will be fine, I would stop wearing the tam to bed. Hope they feel better soon!

updated by @heather: 07/23/15 03:35:49AM
Heather
@heather
13 years ago
1,291 posts
yeah, i was totally considering cutting the wad of hair off the bottom and loosening up the whole dread but that would make the lock about 10 inches shorter than the rest of my hair so it would be really obvious. plus its on the top and really visible so i don't think i'd be too happy with the end result. i'm just hoping it will work itself out in the months ahead.

FoxPaw said:
I had the same problem but only one. It was on top of my head. It was doing fine until the base of it (theroot) started to split and make a Y. Exactly like "Y". The lock itself started to get really big compared to others and every time I would put on a shirt or put on a tam it hurt soo bad! Like seriously I felt like if my niece tugged on that specific dread it would rip out. Well, I lost patience and cut it. Now this sad, but good for me too. I felt soo much better.. it just looks really dumb now and I have to kinda comb that part with my fingers so they don't get sucked into others.. :/ BUT, studying this lock of hair I noticed I'm not washing soap out to well. So now I have a very clean head with a missing puzzle piece lol but I don't care. I say leave it alone Heather, try not to touch it too much. Patience!
Heather
@heather
13 years ago
1,291 posts
i was wondering, would it be okay to wrap that dread from root to tip with hemp to provide a bit of support and encourage it to lock more evenly for strengths sake? or would it stop the dread from locking?
FoxPaw
@foxpaw
13 years ago
114 posts
I believe it would strengthen it
NaturalWomyn
@naturalwomyn
13 years ago
849 posts
don't wrap it completely, use some hemp in a criss cross pattern, if it's too constricting it could hinder dreading.
taye
@taye
13 years ago
833 posts
I agree with Naturalwoman, the criss cross wrap would be better. My dreads do a similar thing on the top of my head. My dreads will flip around on their own as the roots start locking. Sometimes they flip around two or three times, i will unflip them, but they just go right back after a few hours. I have one dread that was kinda pulling because it was knotting at the roots on one side and not the other. I just let it hang down the back of my head instead of the side for a few days and that seemed to help. It took the weight off the hair that was being pulled. The knots evened up and it stopped hurting. so if it hangs on the right side, it might help to let it hang down on the left side, or towards the back for a while.
Jessica Ann Hughes
@jessica-ann-hughes
13 years ago
85 posts
I just wrapped one of mine with hemp yesterday. It's a lot more locked that my other babies because I've had it about a week or more long than the others, but it still needs to mature. My first set of dreads, I wrapped one with hemp (just a braid though, I don't fully wrap it mine) and it tightened up faster.
Jdwood
@jdwood
13 years ago
275 posts
My hair is dreading the same way as yours, from thebottomup and I also have one on the top that is hurts from time to time...Ireallythink we have the exact same hair typeexceptfor the color
Heather
@heather
13 years ago
1,291 posts
yeah. looking at your pictures i think we do. i wish they wouldn't climb up from the bottom like that. i put beads on some sections today to prevent any future dread wads. my scalp just cant take the pulling anymore. its interfering with my sleep.
NaturalWomyn
@naturalwomyn
13 years ago
849 posts
make sure that when you wrap the dread don't wrap it too close to your scalp, I made that mistake in the beginning and it literally took me weeks to figure out why I couldn't get rid of my horrific migraine! Dur! heehee

/ 3

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form