13 years ago
19 posts
Exhibit A......nuff said! (wink)
updated by @deafyjae: 07/23/15 05:14:17AM
Mama Harrison
@mama-harrison
13 years ago
117 posts

i live in fl..so no tam for me, it is way too hot for that.

DeafyJae
@deafyjae
13 years ago
19 posts
stick some of those ice gel packs under the tam LOLOL

Mama Harrison said:

i live in fl..so no tam for me, it is way too hot for that.

NaturalWomyn
@naturalwomyn
13 years ago
849 posts
saltwater will totally help! We're about 3 months apart (in dread age lol) and 3 months ago I felt exactly the same way, although i think yours look better than mine did 3 months ago! Mine were super scraggly at the ends, BS washes helped and swimming in the ocean will help even more, Much Love
Rae
@rae
13 years ago
74 posts

Hey, I'm at eight and a half months!

My dreads are thicker than yours, because I want big fat ones, but they are doing something similar. My roots are really great, the very ends are pretty wispy, and the middles are super bumpy with lots of loose hairs coming out of the middle of the dreads. The ones on the underneath parts are further along than the ones on top too, which I guess is to be expected.

Mama Harrison
@mama-harrison
13 years ago
117 posts
yes, i realize it is just another phase/stage that I need to use to learn more patience ;) I know it sounds so corny, but I really have learned SOO much patience this year because of my hair's journey. IT is sooo 'crazy cat lady' right now and I am so pleased that I don't allow that to dictate my mood or my feelings of self worth or attractiveness on a daily basis. Sometimes it is hard for me to not feel a bit foolish when I am out in public with this crazy bird's nest hair, but then I realize that it doesn't matter at all--it means NOTHING--my hairstyle is not me and the people who don't realize that are the ones who have it all wrong, not me who doesn't feel the need to spend extra precious time messing with it so that i am 'presentable' to society at large.it is nice to be able to come here though and vent and say--WTF!?! my hair looks like bird's are nesting in it and I don't dig that! hahahaaaaaaamy 20 month old daughter's hair has started to dreadlock naturally--she has about 6 of them in the back of her head. I never intended for that to happen, but that IS what happens when you don't brush your hair ;) My mom is convinced we put food in it to get it like that and wants us to wash it out ;)
Scorpio
@scorpio
13 years ago
3 posts

I have about 1/5 of my hair in dreads currently (a very slow work in progress...) which started started about 5-6 months ago. (I was hesitant to do my whole head at first, so I did only a few to experiment, and then I found when I tried to add more my arms hurt too much and I was too busy... so I never did get around to putting in any more ...until this month). Anyways... so the dreads that I do have that are about 5 months, are doing the same thing you've described. My dreads are about 1/3 inch in thickness and varying. I did try to dread them all the way down to the very tiniest point which always seemed to unravel. So mine didnt quite puff up as much in that bottom part. But they did suddenly get loopy, which on several of them turned into a much thicker lump near the ends of my dreads. They are uniform in thickness UNTIL it gets to the bottom of the dread and then there is a funky mass. The ones that end up like that are also much shorter. It is rather annoying and I hear your frustration. It makes mine look bottom-heavy, lol. This phase is certainly not what I was expecting. I have learned to "let it go" ... and go with the flow... but its a very strange feeling to not be in control of my own hair! :) Oddly, it is teaching me alot about myself and a lesson in patience.

Something I found that does help with the puffy/frizzy "nest" look that occurs. is to occasionally rub a little bit of pure aloe gel between palms and gently palm roll over that area. Or sometimes I do the palm rolling when they are slightly damp. It helped get through the stage, faster. Some days I can only cover my hair with a hat, and other days the dreads look good and I proudly wear them out to show them off, lol. Then the next day they may do some other strange loopiness and look crazy and weird again. Just when ya think they are "behaving" you realize they seem to have a life of their own, haha.

Anyways I think yours look great! and I am so envious of your thick hair (and ability to have so many dreadies!). Its good also to see your timeline because now I know that my twist and rip seems to have taken a normal course. Looking forward to seeing more pics in the future!

Mama Harrison
@mama-harrison
13 years ago
117 posts
So, yea--I am still dealing with this issue and it is 'worse' now than it was then. My dreads are 15 months old and I have lost 75% length and most of my over 100 dreadlocks have huge clumps on the ends which are heavy and take forever to dry and aren't really locked they are just clumped on top of each other. I have contemplated cutting them off, but then my hair would be only inches long and I am not really into that. I have contemplated using some of my old hair and making my own dread extensions, but after trying to TnR a few I realized that I am WAY too lazy for that project. *sigh* I really am not happy with the way my hair looks at all and as much as everyone here touts the natural is beautiful ideaology, it is increasingly hard to look in the mirror and not like what I see at all :( So, still looking for any ideas on how to deal with these {not wait it out}--will wrapping my locks a few at a time get these clumps to tighted up and not be so HUGE or will it impede their development? I know magic mountainmegan had this issue, but I can't seem to find her here anymore?...
Mama Harrison
@mama-harrison
13 years ago
117 posts
So, yea--I am still dealing with this issue and it is 'worse' now than it was then. My dreads are 15 months old and I have lost 75% length and most of my over 100 dreadlocks have huge clumps on the ends which are heavy and take forever to dry and aren't really locked they are just clumped on top of each other. I have contemplated cutting them off, but then my hair would be only inches long and I am not really into that. I have contemplated using some of my old hair and making my own dread extensions, but after trying to TnR a few I realized that I am WAY too lazy for that project. *sigh* I really am not happy with the way my hair looks at all and as much as everyone here touts the natural is beautiful ideaology, it is increasingly hard to look in the mirror and not like what I see at all :( So, still looking for any ideas on how to deal with these {not wait it out}--will wrapping my locks a few at a time get these clumps to tighted up and not be so HUGE or will it impede their development? I know magic mountainmegan had this issue, but I can't seem to find her here anymore?...
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
13 years ago
29,640 posts

wrapping will help em and u can always stop looking in the mirror too

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1

/ 4

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form