Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Conditioning

Lu A
@lu-a
8 years ago
66 posts
This is a two part question followed by a bit of background info: How long should I wait to start conditioning my dreads and what are the best things to use? I've only had my dread in for about a month and because I rinse them pretty often they are locking quickly. However, they are also getting extremely dry. Before I started my dreads conditioning was a huge part of my regular hair care as my hair is naturally very dry and I would condition them daily with a deep conditioning treatment weekly or biweekly, when I got lazy, because it kept my hair healthy and my curls full. but now I haven't conditioned my hair in over a month and I am starting to feel the effects, both in the texture of my hair and the condition of my scalp. It makes me want to condition today but I'm worried because they are still so new, I don't want the progress I've made to go to waste. Should I try just conditioning my scalp, and if so what are good products (essential oils, etc.) that would be good for that?
updated by @lu-a: 01/13/15 08:56:56PM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
8 years ago
29,317 posts

f your iblack u should condition if nort i wouldnt however if u do the baking soda acv method u can leave the ac v on a lil longer then a few sec and it will help alot without hurting

when theyre mature u can add jojoba to the mixx

scalp add teatree and rosemaery to the mix

are u using sea salyt if so..stop it dries u out too much

--
27 years growing dreadlocks the natural way
My dreads are over 10 feet long

also on the board of, and a student glider pilot with freedoms wings international - soaring for people with disabilities
Lu A
@lu-a
8 years ago
66 posts

I am black but the texture of my hair is soft and curly rather than "nappy" or "kinky." I guess its what you call "good hair" (although I hate that term) and is what mixed-race people usually get(although I'm not mixed race, my hair is just a pain), so it's more sensitive to conditioning. No, I'm not using sea salt. I hadn't even considered using it cause I know it dries out your hair lol

I was gonna try a baking soda mix to wash today for the first time, but I didn't know it helps with the dryness, and I'm def headed out for some tea tree and rosemary for my poor achy scalp lol. Thanks for the help.

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
8 years ago
29,317 posts

well black ppl dont produce much oils so thats why your more likely to get ashy skin dry brittle hair the texture dont affect the fact that your not producing oils to condition it so u have a choice all can be added to the bs/a cv

jojoba oil closest to natural skin oils so excelent choice

olive oil (lil too sticky n thick for my taste but a tiny bit will do the trick in a pinch)

africas best lil thick but otherwise excelent

shae cocoa butter great ..might build up if overused but not sure

aloe very good and healthy

vit e very healthy lil thick (actualy really thick) maybe best just a tiny bit added to jojoba as a carier oil to help it spread

--
27 years growing dreadlocks the natural way
My dreads are over 10 feet long

also on the board of, and a student glider pilot with freedoms wings international - soaring for people with disabilities
Lu A
@lu-a
8 years ago
66 posts
wow, thanks this is really helpful. I'll try a few of them out and I'm sure one will work out. Thanks again.
Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form