Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

is rinsing my dreads everyday okay?

Sara Meadows
@sara-meadows
13 years ago
9 posts

(I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this but here goes :P)

Every 2-3 days i wash my hair with BS/essential oils/ACV and spray salt water on everyday, but between washes i rinse with warm water, scrub a little bit, and then rinse with cool/cold water.

I do this because I smoke cigarettes and I feel like i gets the smell out of myhair, and I don't want to be walking around with a head full of dreads smelling like stale ickysmoke :P

My dreads are about 3 months old, in varying stages of locking up and I know at some point it'd be bad to rinse my hair everyday because they wouldn't dry properly..

ShouldI keep doing what I'm doing or start to cut back on the rinses?

thanks in advance :D

updated by @sara-meadows: 01/13/15 08:54:16PM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
13 years ago
29,640 posts
id cut back and iwouldnt do sea salt every day either 1-2 times a weeks fine

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
meg ☮
@meg
13 years ago
92 posts

I'd suggest getting rid of the problem altogether and stop smoking ;)

As for your actual question, I'm not sure, so hopefully someone else will have a better answer!

Shanxon Lemasters
@shanxon-lemasters
13 years ago
411 posts
I've had the flu for the past week and practically lived in the shower and no harm done here (granted this was a short term thing but sometimes was more than 2-3 times a day), there are many times I'm afraid I rinse my hair too much if you see your progress slowing or even backstepping i'd say it's too much! Have you thought about making a little spritz to spray on your dreads? I have a mix of rosemary and jasmine i spray on my hair every couple days if i feel i smell smokey (just quit smoking while had flu so this should no longer be an issue but still like to smell good) see if you can do something like that that pleases you!
NaturalWomyn
@naturalwomyn
13 years ago
849 posts
mmm...rosemary & jasmine that's sounds so good!

Shanxon Lemasters said:
I've had the flu for the past week and practically lived in the shower and no harm done here (granted this was a short term thing but sometimes was more than 2-3 times a day), there are many times I'm afraid I rinse my hair too much if you see your progress slowing or even backstepping i'd say it's too much! Have you thought about making a little spritz to spray on your dreads? I have a mix of rosemary and jasmine i spray on my hair every couple days if i feel i smell smokey (just quit smoking while had flu so this should no longer be an issue but still like to smell good) see if you can do something like that that pleases you!
Thundersquall
@thundersquall
13 years ago
235 posts
I for two weeks i washed my hair every day with an organic soap, and can safely report no ill effets such as slowing of or declining progress. If anything, the motion of rubbing the soap through myscalp and acrossmybaby naplocks helped tighten them up. If your hair is already dreaded and mature i wouldn't worry to much about rinsing it or washing 3 times a week, in fact i think thats great cause as you said they seem to soak up smells, whether we realize i or not.
Ashley Eve
@ashley-eve
13 years ago
43 posts

hmmm mine get wet every day when i have a shower... i knew i wasnt sposed to wash them every day but really not even wet? its summer here atm and they dry in no time.. loose ends and all..

how do u shower and not wet them?

surely people dont go a week without a shower :p

Jessica
@jessica
13 years ago
70 posts
You think cigarettes smell. you should be around a bon fire for a night then smell your hair the next morning haha smells terrible.
Jessica
@jessica
13 years ago
70 posts
You just have to tie them up, if they are too short then use a shower cap thing. I don't wash mine every shower. It definitely makes showers shorter when you don't have to wash them.

Ashley Eve said:

hmmm mine get wet every day when i have a shower... i knew i wasnt sposed to wash them every day but really not even wet? its summer here atm and they dry in no time.. loose ends and all..

how do u shower and not wet them?

surely people dont go a week without a shower :p

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form