Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Salt water?

Zachary Hakes
@zachary-hakes
13 years ago
6 posts
So I've been spraying my dreads with a mix of just water and table salt, it seems to help, but it also adds frizz. Is there any actual proof that salt water works? And also I'm constantly rubbing and palm rolling my dreads, I have really textured curly hair, should I keep doing this or leave them alone. If I do stop will they start to look better and how long will it take?
updated by @zachary-hakes: 01/22/20 09:33:16AM
Thundersquall
@thundersquall
13 years ago
235 posts

I have heard from several senior members in this forum that palm rolling in the long run, is pointless, and can even cause some damage to your dreads. If you have a wedding or funeral to go to sure, palm roll it up with some Aloe Vera. But no need doing excessively.

Frizz is just a part of having dreads, like gelledspikesare of having a mohawk. Using sea salt or swimming in the oceancan help tighten up your locks, by drying your hair out, but it seems a method best served by those with straight hair, not someone with textured curly hair. Their hair at first needs all the encouragement it can get.

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
13 years ago
29,640 posts

stop ruvbbing and rolling

stop using table salt use sea salt

dont do it all the time or leave it on long

2 houres b4 u wwash onvce a week is eniugh

just stop working on them leave them alonbe to dread on theyre own

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
taye
@taye
13 years ago
833 posts
table salt is processed. All of the minerals are taken out during the process. Sea salt is better. All it takes is a spoonful in a squirt bottle mixed with water. Most grocery stores sell sea salt.
Panterra Caraway
@panterra-caraway
13 years ago
667 posts
It is true that frizz is just a part of the dread process...but, with curly hair and constant rubbing you will get alot more frizz. Curly hair tends to expand. Palm rolling and rubbing will only add damage to the cuticle layer of the hair (outer most visible layer) and over time significantly weaken the entire structure. Sea salt is much bettter than table salt as well. With the table salt you are getting chemical additives and risking real irritation to your scalp. Plus, most people tend to mix a table salt solution way too strong...the salinity of ocean water is quite low actually.
Iain
@iain
13 years ago
844 posts
Hey there, I have curly hair and used to swim in the beaches in florida all the time when starting mine up, it definitely adds up, the salt helps dry your hair which makes natural knotting occur easily.no one can give you a definite time frame, too much can affect it. just stay focused/patient :)
Zachary Hakes
@zachary-hakes
13 years ago
6 posts
Thank, Ill go out and buy some sea salt tonight
Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form