Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Winter and Dreads

Stephanie Krespach
@stephanie-krespach
13 years ago
23 posts

I live in the middle of nowhere Minnesota...and the temps this week are supposed to be -30f...at night. Its cold, It's Dry and it has advantages anddisadvantages. I try not to do a whole lot with my baby dreads, other than wash them when I need to (Baking soda/acv rinse...every once in awhiledilutedBronners). Sea Salt Spray with some fresh lemon juice (only after washing and that doesn't happen more than once a week). Wool hats for warmth & sleep protection.

I've been reading on here about Aloe, and all the recommendations are for straight from the plant (which would be ideal) but as I said before..I live is an area thats pretty frozen most of the year, and don't know much about caring for the plant itself.

How do I give my babies some nourishment without gettingswindled? Is there a decent Aloe gel I could order?

Thanks Guys!

updated by @stephanie-krespach: 02/15/15 08:33:33AM
taye
@taye
13 years ago
833 posts

If you live close enough to a larger city, buy your aloe from a health foods store. Buy the 100% aloe, it has to be refrigerated but it does not contain some of the additives that store bought has such as alcohol. or buy an aloe plant :)

Aloe is a moisturizer. be real careful not to over do it. Too much and it could actually undo your baby knots.

taye
@taye
13 years ago
833 posts
I have about 5 of the plants as house plants....they do not have to be grown outdoors
Stephanie Krespach
@stephanie-krespach
13 years ago
23 posts
I'm actually about 4 hours from any city...an hour from the nearest town. I'll try and get some next time i'm anywhere near anything resembling civilization

taye said:

If you live close enough to a larger city, buy your aloe from a health foods store. Buy the 100% aloe, it has to be refrigerated but it does not contain some of the additives that store bought has such as alcohol. or buy an aloe plant :)

Aloe is a moisturizer. be real careful not to over do it. Too much and it could actually undo your baby knots.

tatyananashi
@tatyananashi
13 years ago
145 posts
yeah aloe can grow indoors pretty well, just keep them near a window so they can get some sunlight, especially in the winter when the amount of daylight is limited.
Stephanie Krespach
@stephanie-krespach
13 years ago
23 posts
ok, cool...any suggestions on where to get the plant though?

tatyananashi said:
yeah aloe can grow indoors pretty well, just keep them near a window so they can get some sunlight, especially in the winter when the amount of daylight is limited.
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
13 years ago
29,640 posts

u can grow aloe indoors easily u can get a gell or juice from a health food store in the refridgerated section u want 1 woth no other ingredients just food grade aloe

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
taye
@taye
13 years ago
833 posts

I have seen aloe plants in grocery stores (with the plants and cut flowers). It is also sold at walmart (the evil empire) I hate to suggest that evil store but I know there is one everywhere...gotta be one close to you.

Aloe is also really easy to start from a cutting. If you have a friend with a plant, just take a spine (leaf) and put it in a glass of water for a week or two, it will sprout roots. Then just put it in a pot with dirt. Easy Peasy !!

Stephanie Krespach
@stephanie-krespach
13 years ago
23 posts

The nearest Wal-mart/Lowe's/Target/anything of that nature is 3 hours away. The nearest town is an hour. In that town there are 2 very small family owned grocery stores, and a co-op. At the co op they have some limited personal care things, but I checked for Aloe and they said they usually don't carry it in the winter because theres no demand. No plants or nursery type things at all right now and no scheduled run in to the city until Feb. or March because of the roads and planning ahead to run out of big supplies then. The only people I know growing anything indoors are growing food, veggies, and spices.

I'm going to ask around some more, but It appears to NOT be readily available just to go and buy...I'm afraid to have it shipped because it needsrefrigeration.

The air is very dry and even though I don't over wash my babies, they are over drying on the tips. I skipped the sea salt this morning, and have tried massaging my scalp to stimulate the oil production but that doesn't travel very far. Is there something else that works? Any tips and tricks i'm missing here?

taye said:

I have seen aloe plants in grocery stores (with the plants and cut flowers). It is also sold at walmart (the evil empire) I hate to suggest that evil store but I know there is one everywhere...gotta be one close to you.

Aloe is also really easy to start from a cutting. If you have a friend with a plant, just take a spine (leaf) and put it in a glass of water for a week or two, it will sprout roots. Then just put it in a pot with dirt. Easy Peasy !!

Cage Free
@cage-free
13 years ago
41 posts

I order my aloe from MountainRoseHerbs.com

It's a good place to get essential oils, soaps, oils, herbs and tinctures as well.

/ 2

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form