Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Soap/Shampoo Ingredients? good or bad

Kristina P
@kristina-p
13 years ago
14 posts
I have some homemade soap and was wondering if its 'dread worthy'.I have fine, straight hair and i exercise every day, which makes my head sticky or oily.its been 3 weeks into the process and i started with washing every 3rd day, but down to every other day.Suggestions?oh, here are the ingredients to the soap:olive oil, palm oil, coconut oil, almond oil, avocado oil, shea butter, distilled water, sodium hydroxide, color and fragance.thanks in advance !
updated by @kristina-p: 01/13/15 08:53:42PM
taye
@taye
13 years ago
833 posts
That is very moisturizing. I would not use that on 3 week old dreads. It is not going to hurt your hair at all! It might be too conditioning and keep knots from forming or it could undo the knots that are already there. Save this soap for when your dreads are more mature. I bet your skin sings songs of praises to you when you use this soap!!!!
Gabe McCoy
@gabe-mccoy
13 years ago
120 posts
I agree with Taye, it sounds good for more matured dreads. one thing though Olive, palm, and coconut oils are heavy oils and may tend to not wash out completely (probably the other oils too but I don't know for sure) probably just something to keep an eye on, I would recommend maybe just washing your scalp and letting the diluted soap wash your dreads (That's why Knotty Boy recommends this method of washing, because their soaps main ingredients are olive and castor bean oil)
Heather
@heather
13 years ago
1,291 posts
dr. bronners and maylees both have coconut and olive oil in it along with other oils and tons of people use them successfully on baby dreads. maybe its the palm oil that would be conditioning?

Gabe McCoy said:
I agree with Taye, it sounds good for more matured dreads. one thing though Olive, palm, and coconut oils are heavy oils and may tend to not wash out completely (probably the other oils too but I don't know for sure) probably just something to keep an eye on, I would recommend maybe just washing your scalp and letting the diluted soap wash your dreads (That's why Knotty Boy recommends this method of washing, because their soaps main ingredients are olive and castor bean oil)
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
13 years ago
29,640 posts
if your black yea if not no way way too much oils and conditioners but u said your oily already this is all oils and conditioners

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Gabe McCoy
@gabe-mccoy
13 years ago
120 posts
Yea I'm fairly sure dr. bronners uses those as an emulsifier (or mixing agent) I'm not sure about maylees I assume the same, the order the ingredients are listed can tell you what the primary ingredients are. What's probably too conditioning is the shea butter and ingredients of the sort. And even still using these oils (in my experience) doesn't necessarily lead to rot or anything like that just knowing the nature of oils along with waxes, resins etc. They are going to be a bit harder to get completely out. They can be used in non locked hair with no problems whatsoever via brushing regular trimming and just the fact that they aren't tightly bound together hair.

Heather said:
dr. bronners and maylees both have coconut and olive oil in it along with other oils and tons of people use them successfully on baby dreads. maybe its the palm oil that would be conditioning?

Gabe McCoy said:
Gabe McCoy
@gabe-mccoy
13 years ago
120 posts
Yea there are a lot of claims that SLS is a stripping chemical that's bad for hair but in my experience it doesn't seem to be the worst thing.

Maxe said:

The horrible toxin from all 'normal' shampoos Sodium Laureth Sulfate is derived from coconut oil as far as I know.

Lex
@lex
13 years ago
217 posts

SLS is more notably bad for your bloodstream/overall physical health then that of your hair.

I would save that soap for your mature dreads. My dreads are about a year and 5 months old and I use a handmade tea tree/rosemary soap every other wash. It leaves my dreads feeling soft, bouncy and smelling good, but if used every wash I think it would definitely leave some build-up and be too conditioning on my roots. I alternate it with dish soap, just to make sure I get any build-up out.

Gabe McCoy
@gabe-mccoy
13 years ago
120 posts
Yea I've heard that too, but I can't seem to find any conclusive evidence on it, if you could give me a link to your sources it would be much appreciated. :)

Lex said:

SLS is more notably bad for your bloodstream/overall physical health then that of your hair.

I would save that soap for your mature dreads. My dreads are about a year and 5 months old and I use a handmade tea tree/rosemary soap every other wash. It leaves my dreads feeling soft, bouncy and smelling good, but if used every wash I think it would definitely leave some build-up and be too conditioning on my roots. I alternate it with dish soap, just to make sure I get any build-up out.

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form