Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Some pretty severe flakies/irritation/redness

Matt9
@matt9
8 years ago
6 posts

Alright so here's the deal, I've had dreads about 11 months, a little while ago I was on roaccutane (also known as accutane) which was a stupid idea but anyway I was and it's made me scalp really dry and itchy and flaky and so on. I decided to try Head and Shoulders dry scalp care shampoo last night as it always worked for me with dandruff in the past but it has left my hair super silky and completely detangled a few new knots I had. I'm worried it will keep doing so or even further loosen other knots but I also need to do something to fix this problem. I think Head and Shoulders would work with a few washes so I had an idea and was wondering if anyone could give their opinions..

Should i wash with head and shoulders then follow with a baking soda/acv rinse? Would this defeat the purpose? I thought it would be alright since you leave head and shoulders in for 2 mins before rinsing so that's probably where the moisturizing comes from. Also I have tried just about everything else to fix this so yeah this is a last resort type thing


updated by @matt9: 01/13/15 08:53:12PM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
8 years ago
29,125 posts

have u trired the bs/acv with teatree rosemary and peopermint?




--
27 years growing dreadlocks the natural way
My dreads are over 10 feet long

also on the board of, and a student glider pilot with freedoms wings international - soaring for people with disabilities
Matt9
@matt9
8 years ago
6 posts
I've tried washing with tea tree and applying rosmary diluted directly to scalp both with no results. I recently bought some peppermint so I'll give that a go next wash but I just really doubt it could cure my dryness completely I mean even after washing with head and shoulders yesterday my head is still quite obviously flaking all over only 24 hours later.. then again it's worth a go :). Also just so you know what I've tried so far I've tried bs/acv, residue free soap with acv, residue free soap with nothing, olive oil a few hours before washing, aloe vera a few hours before washing, rosmary essential oil applied to dry areas, and tea tree oil with acv rince.

soaringeagle said:

have u trired the bs/acv with teatree rosemary and peopermint?

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
8 years ago
29,125 posts

how are u mixing the bs/acv

what was the stuff u used to begin with and why did u use it if it really screwed up the scalp id recomend consukting a dermatologist maybe

at leasst with a diagnosis we can think of other options

u can try jojoba too and cold rinses

umm could it be more olike cradle cap if so a thicker oil like baby oil i think will help




--
27 years growing dreadlocks the natural way
My dreads are over 10 feet long

also on the board of, and a student glider pilot with freedoms wings international - soaring for people with disabilities
Matt9
@matt9
8 years ago
6 posts

the stuff was this medication used as a sort of last resort treatment for moderate and severe acne but honestly it wasn't worth it it causes all sorts of side effects and I even stopped the treatment a few weeks early for this reason. Depression, drowsiness, sore back, dry skin, etc. Sure not everyone would experience this but my dermatologist assured me I would be very unlikely to suffer anything except dry skin as a side effect. Anyway that's what made my scalp so bad I mean I think you were meant to use conditioner with it regularly to avoid dandruff but I didn't because of dreads and as a result it seems my super dry red itchy scalp has persisted and continues to flake.

When I use bs/acv I dilute both to appropriate amounts, soak with bs first for 5-10 mins then rinse and acv soak for about 1 min and rinse.

I guess you're right I probably should see a dermatologist. However I'm currently away on holiday and I was just wondering if I could get any opinions on the idea of using H&S before an bs/acv rinse or simply use a residue free shampoo afterwards. Or even other ideas, I suffer from excma and the redness is quite similar in the colour and dryness however it is not bumpy at all like excma.

Thank you for such quick replies also :)

soaringeagle said:

how are u mixing the bs/acv

what was the stuff u used to begin with and why did u use it if it really screwed up the scalp id recomend consukting a dermatologist maybe

at leasst with a diagnosis we can think of other options

u can try jojoba too and cold rinses

umm could it be more olike cradle cap if so a thicker oil like baby oil i think will help

NaturalWomyn
@naturalwomyn
8 years ago
849 posts
everclean shampoo works well for severe scalp probs. I would still do a BS/ACV rinse every 3rd shampoo to make sure it doesn't build up though. If your scalp is really bad it's probably worth it for you.
Matt9
@matt9
8 years ago
6 posts
thanks, do you know if everclean shampoo would soften my hair much too as I noticed that quite a bit with H&S, made it super silky and soft, not good for dreads obviously but hey, healthy/clean scalp comes first.

NaturalWomyn said:
everclean shampoo works well for severe scalp probs. I would still do a BS/ACV rinse every 3rd shampoo to make sure it doesn't build up though. If your scalp is really bad it's probably worth it for you.
NaturalWomyn
@naturalwomyn
8 years ago
849 posts
nope. I've used it and my hubby uses it all winter long due to some pretty bad seasonal scalp problems and haven't had any problems. We're both at the point where we could use straight conditioner w/o any unkotting though. If you notice it softening your hair too much, which i don't think it will cause it doesn't have added unnatural conditioners,just alternate with the BS or use the BS after washing. I'm tellin ya this stuff is like a miracle! It smells kinda gross from the pine tar they use in nit but u won't notice once your hair dries and it's sooooo worth it! Good Luck

Matt said:
thanks, do you know if everclean shampoo would soften my hair much too as I noticed that quite a bit with H&S, made it super silky and soft, not good for dreads obviously but hey, healthy/clean scalp comes first.

NaturalWomyn said:
everclean shampoo works well for severe scalp probs. I would still do a BS/ACV rinse every 3rd shampoo to make sure it doesn't build up though. If your scalp is really bad it's probably worth it for you.
Matt9
@matt9
8 years ago
6 posts
Thanks for the advice I'll have to get some as soon as I get home I think :)

NaturalWomyn said:
nope. I've used it and my hubby uses it all winter long due to some pretty bad seasonal scalp problems and haven't had any problems. We're both at the point where we could use straight conditioner w/o any unkotting though. If you notice it softening your hair too much, which i don't think it will cause it doesn't have added unnatural conditioners,just alternate with the BS or use the BS after washing. I'm tellin ya this stuff is like a miracle! It smells kinda gross from the pine tar they use in nit but u won't notice once your hair dries and it's sooooo worth it! Good Luck

Matt said:
thanks, do you know if everclean shampoo would soften my hair much too as I noticed that quite a bit with H&S, made it super silky and soft, not good for dreads obviously but hey, healthy/clean scalp comes first.

NaturalWomyn said:
everclean shampoo works well for severe scalp probs. I would still do a BS/ACV rinse every 3rd shampoo to make sure it doesn't build up though. If your scalp is really bad it's probably worth it for you.
NaturalWomyn
@naturalwomyn
8 years ago
849 posts
this shampoo is really amazing! It will make a noticeable difference with one use. My husbands head was pretty bad and after one use it was almost completely better. It has many natural ingredients but it's not 100% natural so for him it's the lesser of 2 evils. He still uses the bs wash to remove any possible leftover reside but suffering with a really itchy flaky scalp is just miserable.

Ziggy said:
Anything you use is going to take a while to start working...you're going to see flakes the day after you first try it no matter what. All the flakes that have already formed are going to take a while to loosen up and come off. You've got to stick with whatever method you do choose and give it weeks for your scalp to heal under the crusties, and all of them to come off.
Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
Contact Form