Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Mildew Problem

NappyBoyMike
@nappyboymike
13 years ago
13 posts

okay i know there is probably already a discussion about this but im new and i don't feel like looking for it..... Now i had my dreads for a couple of years now and I've just recently ran into a problem, people (mostly girls) have been telling me that my dreads stink and i have just found out that the cause is mildew, and i would like to know i good preferably simple way to get rid of the mildew build up in my dreads....

I would post some pics but im to embarrassed

updated by @nappyboymike: 01/13/15 08:53:09PM
Rockerbaby
@rockerbaby
13 years ago
27 posts
Uh oh! Sorry to hear that. :(Everyone here is going to recommend washing with baking soda and apple cider vinegar.But before we get to that, what HAVE you been using to wash your dreads? A lot of normal shampoos will leave residues behind that accumulate and well... mildew. Are your dreads drying COMPLETELY after you wash them? Dreads are like towels - you leave them wet and crumpled up and they grow mildew and smell.Do you use any products on them? A lot of people have mold/mildew issues if they used wax.If it's simply just that you consistently don't dry your dreads out right, regular washings and drying them with a blow dryer or out in the sun will fix you up.But if it's a shampoo problem and you have residue stuck in your hair, baking soda and apple cider vinegar are your best bet. Baking soda is a natural deodorizer and cleanser and apple cider vinegar is a great natural conditioner and also had deodorizing properties as well. I'm sure someone else will chime in to give you the exact recipe for how to wash with those. Also, change your shampoo! Generally, any drugstore shampoo that says "clarifying" or "no residue" will work just fine for dreads. I know some people who also wash with dish soap since it's so good at cutting through grease and residues.If you used wax and you think that's the issue, you're going to have to take some pretty aggressive action because if it's causing enough problems to where you have mildew, then it's probably really stuck in there. Generally I think the recommended course of action is soaking your dreads in the hottest water you can to try and melt the wax out, followed by bs/acv wash. Then repeat a million times until your dreads feel better.So, any ideas as to what's causing the problem?
NappyBoyMike
@nappyboymike
13 years ago
13 posts

I use Head and Shoulders, i wash my hair every 2 to 3 days and i use a blow dryer to dry my dreads, but for some reason using a blow dryer doesn't completely dry my hair all the time, so i just air dry the rest.....

i dont use wax at all, well......not anymore so i know thats not the problem, judging by what you said im guessing its the shampoo?
Rockerbaby said:

Uh oh! Sorry to hear that. :(

Everyone here is going to recommend washing with baking soda and apple cider vinegar.

But before we get to that, what HAVE you been using to wash your dreads? A lot of normal shampoos will leave residues behind that accumulate and well... mildew. Are your dreads drying COMPLETELY after you wash them? Dreads are like towels - you leave them wet and crumpled up and they grow mildew and smell.

Do you use any products on them? A lot of people have mold/mildew issues if they used wax.

If it's simply just that you consistently don't dry your dreads out right, regular washings and drying them with a blow dryer or out in the sun will fix you up.

But if it's a shampoo problem and you have residue stuck in your hair, baking soda and apple cider vinegar are your best bet. Baking soda is a natural deodorizer and cleanser and apple cider vinegar is a great natural conditioner and also had deodorizing properties as well. I'm sure someone else will chime in to give you the exact recipe for how to wash with those. Also, change your shampoo! Generally, any drugstore shampoo that says "clarifying" or "no residue" will work just fine for dreads. I know some people who also wash with dish soap since it's so good at cutting through grease and residues.

If you used wax and you think that's the issue, you're going to have to take some pretty aggressive action because if it's causing enough problems to where you have mildew, then it's probably really stuck in there. Generally I think the recommended course of action is soaking your dreads in the hottest water you can to try and melt the wax out, followed by bs/acv wash. Then repeat a million times until your dreads feel better.

So, any ideas as to what's causing the problem?
Rockerbaby
@rockerbaby
13 years ago
27 posts
Head and Shoulders has chemical conditioners in it that can definitely build up! So yes. Switch shampoos asap. I use Suave Naturals Clarifying shampoo. It works great and is usually only 90 cents a bottle. AND I live in the city of Chicago and everything is expensive here. So if it's that cheap for me, if you live in a suburb/rural area it will probably be even cheaper.

But then you also said you don't use wax 'anymore'... I'm not completely anti-wax, but there are many many many people on this forum who used it just once or twice and found it in the core of their dreads years later when they combed/cut them out. How often did you use it? It might be a smart idea to cut an inch or so off the end of a dread that's relatively hidden and dissecting it. If there's a white, gross looking core in the middle, your issue is probably wax related. Or, if you don't want to take that route, when you wash your hair, try washing it with the absolute hottest water you can stand. Some people even dip their dreads in boiling water (obviously NOT close to the scalp.). There's also a product somewhere called Body Splash that members here completely LOVE for wax removal. Check the link at the top of the site that says "wax removal" and it should give you all the info you need to know.

As long as your dreads are dry by the time you go to sleep at night, letting them air dry the rest of the way should be just fine. I'd first work on getting rid of the shampoo residue, and seeing if any of the wax removal stuff helps.

Oh! One more thing... I use a cup of white distilled vinegar in with my laundry (tip from my grandma! Grandmas always know best) and it completely cuts ANY odors. Seriously it gets rid of any smell. After washing with your new residue free shampoo, try dunking your dreads in vinegar, letting it sit for 5-10 minutes and then rinse it out. Vinegar itself doesn't smell the greatest, but once your dreads are dry you won't be able to smell it at all.

Hopefully other members chime in too and give you more opinions too! Everything should work itself out as long as you try. :) Good luck!

NappyBoyMike said:

I use Head and Shoulders, i wash my hair every 2 to 3 days and i use a blow dryer to dry my dreads, but for some reason using a blow dryer doesn't completely dry my hair all the time, so i just air dry the rest.....

i dont use wax at all, well......not anymore so i know thats not the problem, judging by what you said im guessing its the shampoo?
Rockerbaby said:

Uh oh! Sorry to hear that. :(

Everyone here is going to recommend washing with baking soda and apple cider vinegar.

But before we get to that, what HAVE you been using to wash your dreads? A lot of normal shampoos will leave residues behind that accumulate and well... mildew. Are your dreads drying COMPLETELY after you wash them? Dreads are like towels - you leave them wet and crumpled up and they grow mildew and smell.

Do you use any products on them? A lot of people have mold/mildew issues if they used wax.

If it's simply just that you consistently don't dry your dreads out right, regular washings and drying them with a blow dryer or out in the sun will fix you up.

But if it's a shampoo problem and you have residue stuck in your hair, baking soda and apple cider vinegar are your best bet. Baking soda is a natural deodorizer and cleanser and apple cider vinegar is a great natural conditioner and also had deodorizing properties as well. I'm sure someone else will chime in to give you the exact recipe for how to wash with those. Also, change your shampoo! Generally, any drugstore shampoo that says "clarifying" or "no residue" will work just fine for dreads. I know some people who also wash with dish soap since it's so good at cutting through grease and residues.

If you used wax and you think that's the issue, you're going to have to take some pretty aggressive action because if it's causing enough problems to where you have mildew, then it's probably really stuck in there. Generally I think the recommended course of action is soaking your dreads in the hottest water you can to try and melt the wax out, followed by bs/acv wash. Then repeat a million times until your dreads feel better.

So, any ideas as to what's causing the problem?
NappyBoyMike
@nappyboymike
13 years ago
13 posts

i used wax about 2 years ago a couple of times when i first started my dreads.

And i'll definitely look into that bodysplash stuff, thanks for the tips both of you, its guaranteed that im gonna try most of these things lol and thanks again

Rockerbaby
@rockerbaby
13 years ago
27 posts
No problem! We like to see everyone have healthy dreads. :) Keep us posted!

NappyBoyMike said:

i used wax about 2 years ago a couple of times when i first started my dreads.

And i'll definitely look into that bodysplash stuff, thanks for the tips both of you, its guaranteed that im gonna try most of these things lol and thanks again

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
13 years ago
29,640 posts

1 get the wax out stop using gels and anything leavuing residues (dont retwist em either)

now mix 3/4 cup white vinager 1/4 water and 30 drops lavvander oil pour on let soak a good long time

in between washes spray with the same squeeze it into the dreads /(the smell will go away fast)

leave this in

never ever tie dreads up or put in a hat when damp at all they must stay handing loose till totaly dry

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
NappyBoyMike
@nappyboymike
13 years ago
13 posts
Thanks i'll make sure they are totally dry from now on

soaringeagle said:

1 get the wax out stop using gels and anything leavuing residues (dont retwist em either)

now mix 3/4 cup white vinager 1/4 water and 30 drops lavvander oil pour on let soak a good long time

in between washes spray with the same squeeze it into the dreads /(the smell will go away fast)

leave this in

never ever tie dreads up or put in a hat when damp at all they must stay handing loose till totaly dry

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form