Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

wrapping dreads while sleeping

Connie Puckett
@connie-puckett
14 years ago
15 posts

I have heard people who wrap their dreads while they sleep. What is the reason for this? Does it help tighten them up? What is best to use to do this?

updated by @connie-puckett: 01/22/20 09:33:16AM
Jackal
@jackal
14 years ago
132 posts

it depends. a tam can distribute the pressure of you sleeping on them a little more evenly, and a wool tam can help create knots sleep or awake, but generally wrapping them ends up with you waking up with whatever you wrapped them in on the floor or by the pillow. theres not really an advantage or disadvantage to it, its just a matter of preference and comfort. but usually sleeping without wrapping leaves you more a little more knotty when you wake up

Beksta
@beksta
14 years ago
22 posts
Wrapping them to sleep is good if you have a pillow case that is gonna cause fluffies and stuff to accumulate in your locks. I prevented this by getting a satin pillowcase. I also found that tams and wraps were uncomfortable(for me) to sleep in, and my locks really locked-up well just by moving my head around during the night while I slept. In other words, I'm an advocate of keeping the locks free to move about at night lol
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts

ppl do it if theyre patanoid about them unraveling in theyre sleep thats the main reason

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts

ewwww but then u got a waxy tam

why would ppl wax if they have to avoid getting wax on everything they touch..
Allea Lovely said:

I put my dreads in a pony tail and then in a tam when I sleep because I roll a lot and when I slept with my dreads down it would always get my roots really messy and tangled. It helps for me. I've also heard of using a tam for bed if you wax so you don't get wax on your pillow.

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Thundersquall
@thundersquall
14 years ago
235 posts

Yea basically you wanna do it if your pillow case leaves a bunch of lint and whatnot in your hair. Using a satin pillowcase/headwrap really does make a difference.Plus it helps prevent moisture from wicking out of your hair which cotton is known to do, though that really only matters for hair that tends to be dry to begin with. It wont keep some lint from shirts and whatnot out but less is best. I use a satin cap and can report favorable results, though a satin pillowcase would look slightly less ridiculous.

Beksta said:

Wrapping them to sleep is good if you have a pillow case that is gonna cause fluffies and stuff to accumulate in your locks. I prevented this by getting a satin pillowcase. I also found that tams and wraps were uncomfortable(for me) to sleep in, and my locks really locked-up well just by moving my head around during the night while I slept. In other words, I'm an advocate of keeping the locks free to move about at night lol
Natty Dave
@natty-dave
14 years ago
56 posts

after you backcomb and your dreads are sticking out tams are great to get them to lay down some, and yeah, if you use wax it'll help keep it off everything else.

otherwise, sometimes i just like to sleep with a hat on because it's soft and i like it lol; sometimes it seems like they're less fuzzy though, but that could just be aplacebo effect. also nice if you have one sticking out and you'd like to try and calm it down some, i usually don't tuck mine in, just pull it over so it lays'em down some

Dave2
@dave2
13 years ago
71 posts

Isn't it stange how some recommend smooth(satin) some rough(wool) coverings for sleeping, kinda shows how no one way could be right because we all have different needs.

I personally in the beginning used an old woollen jumper as a pillowcase because i have a habit of getting quite a static charge build up so a satin pillow case just makes my hair frizzier.

oh yeah and i've not had a lint problem either.

andrew lazare
@andrew-lazare
13 years ago
3 posts

Sometimes dreads are wrapped so that the oils from your hair aren't escaping during the night...

I sometimes wrap 'em just so theyre not in my mouth when I wake up but instead of a ponytail in the back, I pull them up top and wrap with a bandana so that while I'm doing 360 spinsin my sleep, there's no uncomftorable speed bump.

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form