Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Twisting to combine loose hairs, keep sections organized

eLPea
@elpea
14 years ago
17 posts
ch-ch-check this out: http://www.dreadlockssite.com/photo/photo-on-20101113-at-1958?context=latest#axzz15OeKGXEG i've never had luck just twisting loose-hanging dreads, but when I SUPER-twisted them all up this past weekend, I loved the results.It took me about 2 hours to twist them all up. I did it on rather dirty dreads (about 5 days since the last wash). I did them a bit tight and took them out after 4 hours or so. I like how it allowed me to wrap loose hairs up and choose the section they'd be incorporated into. After unwrapping, the roots stayed nicely twisted and incorporated a lot of the loose root hair. Note that it obviously doesn't instantly add your loose root hairs into the dread, but twists them around the outside.Next time I do this, I'll do it on cleaner hair (maybe a day or two post-wash) and I won't twist as tightly at the root. I'd also like to leave them twisted overnight - I think it might leave me with some nice waves in my locks!The locks that were wrapped tighter both made my head hurt more and didn't incorporate the new/loose hairs as well. The twists that were looser at the root and relied on tightly twisting the end to keep it together got more knotty and, I think, allowed the loose hairs to knot in more thoroughly rather than wrapping around.Has anyone else ever done something like this?Please note: the final result leaves you with a funny 20's curly-bob look. Perfect for dressing up as an old lady in her bathrobe or something haha.
updated by @elpea: 02/14/15 10:23:30AM
eLPea
@elpea
14 years ago
17 posts
Also! I think this style would be a useful way to tie up all your dreads and keep them out of the way during a sporting event, or under a helmet or something.
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts
it cabn severely wweaken the roots over use can actualy twist dreads right off..it is never recomended for non african hair and for africans they typicaly over do iti would never do it to minewhy would u want to cause pain?

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
eLPea
@elpea
14 years ago
17 posts

soaringeagle said:
it cabn severely wweaken the roots over use can actualy twist dreads right off..it is never recomended for non african hair and for africans they typicaly over do it
i would never do it to mine

why would u want to cause pain?
As youre twisting, it is very clear when you reach the point of pulling on the scalp. It's obvious that if you over-twist, you'll damage the roots.You've had your dreads for 20 years. The last thing you need to do is promote loose hairs to knot up. Your dreads are well-established. Mine are 7 months old, and need a bit of encouragement on the locking process.I do not want to cause pain. I do not know why you would ask that question.
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts
u do not need to do anything either to encourage the roots to dread except completely leave them alone to dread1 week 1 month 1 year dont matterthe roots never need help only timestop messing with em let em dread

--
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts
your also african hair type so its alot more resistant to weakening from it well alot i mean by a percentage it still can cause trouble if over done3-4 times a year tho (in black hair) wont be devastatingfor caucasian hair tho its much worse

--
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts
hmm thought u were 1/2 black? your last set was sooooo cute

--
eLPea
@elpea
14 years ago
17 posts
Thanks buddy. I don't feel dumb at all for doing it, but thanks for the reassurance :)

Like I said before, I really liked the way it sucked up a lot of my loose hair. I think it's easy to tell if you're twisting so hard you're breaking hairs. Even the 'rubbing' strategy of locking roots can weaken your locks if you're too rough with it.

I wish people weren't so scared to play with their locks! Sure, they'll lock up great if you only neglect, but playing with your locks and actively maintaining them makes them yours. Just do it in moderation. Don't fight the knots, embrace the knots!
tatyananashi
@tatyananashi
14 years ago
145 posts
It looks cute as a style LOL. It doesn't look that tight, so I don't think it'd be that damaging to roots if you just keep in mind what your hair can handle.When I sectioned my hair I just grabbed sections without regard to any line up or anything, and so I have hairs that through ripping congos have gathered their own little areas and wouldn't fit well into any surrounding dread. I think eventually they will become their own really tiny dreads when they grow long enough, for now it's loose hair. I think maybe better section planning would have worked out better for them but I guess next time... LOL
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts
1 of my best freinds dreads was started by taking a section of hair twisting it uo just like that while holding the tip then..pulling the tip out si the coil boinged out straight and stayed in the tight twist and dreaded fromj there it worked well but was done oncvcei do agree as a style its super cute but to do it to encourage roots to dread i dont think makes sense

--
 / 2

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form