Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Dreading but...

Steve Moore
@steve-moore
14 years ago
5 posts
I am five months into dreads that originally where backcombed and waxed twice with Dreadhead. I got all of the wax out shortly after and most of it has began locking up like crazy. I have fine, straight hair that started below my shoulders. Much of it, esp in the back has dreaded, some becoming VERY short as it wrapped up in itself. My question is that behind my ears on the side/back of both sides of my head, it is LONG undreaded hair that looks ridiculous. I want to trim if up but figure that is a bad idea. Any help?
updated by @steve-moore: 01/13/15 08:49:27PM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts
leave it aklone it will dread when its ready to dreadall around the hairlines the hardest to dread and will dread last'if u trim it now u will only delay its dreadingumm how did u get the wax out and are u sure its all out? tons of ppl thought they got it out only to be shocked years later when thry cut em and found they were full of waxif i was u i would still agressivly try to remove wax just to be sure

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Steve Moore
@steve-moore
14 years ago
5 posts
only waxed a couple of times and not very much at that. I washed a few times with dish soap and the hottest water I could stand. then boiling water and squeezed. dreads are pretty thin,
Steve Moore
@steve-moore
14 years ago
5 posts
They are each a large enough section of hair to be their own dread. would it make them harder to dread if I trimmed them up a bit so that they dont stand out as much?

Knottysleeves said:
Hi Steve, it's usually better to integrate loose hair into an existing dread (or start a new one with it) than cut it off. If you have enough loose hairs, you can twist & rip them into a new baby dread, then leave it alone or try to add it to the nearest dread. Another option is sewing the hairs into the closest dread with a tapestry needle.
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts
definately wouldnt trim em when u tnr they will lose lengthgas they dread they will lose lengthyour starting with the same length hair thats in the dreads so when theyre catching up in dreadedness they will be about the same length

--
Andelynn
@andelynn
14 years ago
50 posts
SE - I'm glad you said this about the hairline because I've got an awful lot of loose hairs right at the hairline by my ears too - the just WILL NOT knot up!!! The back of my neck is doing pretty good - but in the front, not so much. Time and patience - right?? Now I know. :)
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts
i alwats got some in the frint from pushin em back theyre extra slow to dreadbut all around the hairline tends to be the last to dreadthat lil pointy tail like spot in the back really excited me when it finaly dreaded and the funny thing is altho that points small amnd all it seems to pop new dreads around there semi oftenalmost like everytime it dreaded into a dread a new crop of loose hair started and dreaded under itdo u push yours behind your ears alot? im sure thats slowin it toolike my beard congoing is going slow cause they always get caught up in the head dreads and pulled unintentionaly

--
Heather
@heather
14 years ago
1,291 posts
i dont think a lot of people realize that behind our ears can be oily. if you tuck your hair behind your ear the oils from your scalp might be keeping that hair soft so it won't knot. i would try t&r on the that section. don't trim unless you have to.
Andelynn
@andelynn
14 years ago
50 posts
Actually, I don't "tuck" but I do wear a wrap to keep the hair off my face during the day.

soaringeagle said:
i alwats got some in the frint from pushin em back theyre extra slow to dread
but all around the hairline tends to be the last to dread
that lil pointy tail like spot in the back really excited me when it finaly dreaded and the funny thing is altho that points small amnd all it seems to pop new dreads around there semi often
almost like everytime it dreaded into a dread a new crop of loose hair started and dreaded under it

do u push yours behind your ears alot? im sure thats slowin it too
like my beard congoing is going slow cause they always get caught up in the head dreads and pulled unintentionaly
Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form