Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

My scalp is angry at me, owie!

Mandy2
@mandy2
14 years ago
55 posts
I woke up this morning and my scalp was waay angry at me.Usually I don't have problems other than a bit of dandruff, but yikes! I have all kinds of sores and raw spots on there out of nowhere. I wonder if maybe I was scratching in my sleep or something...Nothing new in my routine. I use diluted Dr. Bronner's with a few drops of tea tree oil (very few, 2-3 drops per 32 oz mixture). I also do a BS/ACV rinse every other week, and a salt soak once a month. I wash about once a week, as anything more than that dries my scalp out too much. I haven't washed my dreads in a few days.I usually wash them on Thursday or Friday, but I'm wondering if washing them right now would irritate them even more as raw as my scalp is.It's just this one spot on my scalp, the rest is fine, which is why I'm thinking I was scratching in my sleep. It's right where my hair naturally parts in the middle. Straight down that line.Anybody got any tips on soothing it? Or maybe something I should change?Owies... :(
updated by @mandy2: 02/14/15 04:35:19AM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,639 posts
id go ahgead and wash and add rosemaryumm no chance of bugs? i know u got kids right id check for bugs just in case but dont panic if u got em u can get rid of em without hurtin the dreadsotherwise id just wash em anytime the scalp bugs ya

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Justmyparanoia
@justmyparanoia
14 years ago
15 posts
and mayb wear something on your head when you're sleeping so you can't scratch? if that doesn't work you know it isn't from scratching
Panterra Caraway
@panterra-caraway
14 years ago
667 posts
I am wondering if you were outdoors and somehow got a sunburn...? This is a common area for sunburn. Do you see any flakes there? Or blisters? Is there anything resembling a pimple or are any of the follicle swollen in the area? All of this could be the symptom of an infected follicle, which is quite painful. If it is a sunburn, I recommend two things. First, dab only the irritated area with milk. Use the whole milk if you have it, any kind can help except for skim. It must be cow's milk and not soy. After you apply the milk you can follow with some aloe vera. The fat in the milk should help alot. If you don't use animal products, just use the aloe (but using the two things will help way more!). If you see scaly, flaking try dabbing it with a bit of peppermint oil. It will feel warm and tingly in a few minutes but soothe psoriasis or other scalp irritations. If you see swelling, or there is something like a pimple or pronounced redness in one spot (particularly around a hair) use a frozen compress or ice pack on the area and although it will burn a bit apply an antiseptic. A great one for the scalp is Sea Breeze (which is usually in the skin care area of a store or drug store...I think they still make that...?). If no Sea Breeze, you might try witch hazel. If it is an infected follicle, you will probably see it come to a head within a few hours to a couple of days. If so, you can carefully pop it with a sterilized needle (you may need help for this) and apply Neosporin. Don't squeeze the area if you can help it...be gentle. Let me know how it is going.....hope that helps you.
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,639 posts
teatree is the best anticepric there is id use that over witch haxzeland if it is a pimple or infected folicle u can try this toomake teatake out the teabag still hot bot not too hot to burn uapply the teabag to the pimple it will pull the puss to the surface so it pops easirr]u can also use a comfry salvecomfry draws all sorts of crap out of the skin its even used for poisionouse insect and snake bites to draw the poisions outit can suck out the crap causing the infectionalternatives like cupping can be used in areas that arent all hairy take a glass cup soak a cottonball in alcohol put it in the cup pu the cup over the infected area titlt it so u can light the cottonball then press it against the skin. the alcolohol burning will consume the oxygen and cause a vacume seal rthat causes anything in the pores to be sucked out u might get a black toxic sludge pulled out of the skin just wipe it away with teatree or alcoholthis is often done alo0ng pressure points like acupressure or acupuncture to suck toxic crap out of those pressure points that affect certain organs or systems (like to cleanse the lymph ststem u would do it on pressure points that are assocuiarted with the lymph glands)i know thats not gonna help youir scalp just sayiing it can be used for other purposes and i like to babble on sometimes

Panterra Caraway said:
I am wondering if you were outdoors and somehow got a sunburn...? This is a common area for sunburn. Do you see any flakes there? Or blisters? Is there anything resembling a pimple or are any of the follicle swollen in the area? All of this could be the symptom of an infected follicle, which is quite painful. If it is a sunburn, I recommend two things. First, dab only the irritated area with milk. Use the whole milk if you have it, any kind can help except for skim. It must be cow's milk and not soy. After you apply the milk you can follow with some aloe vera. The fat in the milk should help alot. If you don't use animal products, just use the aloe (but using the two things will help way more!). If you see scaly, flaking try dabbing it with a bit of peppermint oil. It will feel warm and tingly in a few minutes but soothe psoriasis or other scalp irritations. If you see swelling, or there is something like a pimple or pronounced redness in one spot (particularly around a hair) use a frozen compress or ice pack on the area and although it will burn a bit apply an antiseptic. A great one for the scalp is Sea Breeze (which is usually in the skin care area of a store or drug store...I think they still make that...?). If no Sea Breeze, you might try witch hazel. If it is an infected follicle, you will probably see it come to a head within a few hours to a couple of days. If so, you can carefully pop it with a sterilized needle (you may need help for this) and apply Neosporin. Don't squeeze the area if you can help it...be gentle. Let me know how it is going.....hope that helps you.

--
Mandy2
@mandy2
14 years ago
55 posts
Well I don't think it's bugs. I checked my daughter and she doesn't have any, and I'm not really itchy all the time. Rather, I tend to get a bit itchy when it's time for a wash, that's usually how I know when I'm ready for another wash actually lolI don't feel any bumps. It's just really tender and raw right down the part in the middle, where my scalp shows. I suppose I didn't even think that it might be sunburn. I recently moved from the garage to out in the back yard for smoking as the smell was bugging mom-in-law.I have milk, but no aloe. The only oils I have right now are witch hazel, lavender, eucalyptus, and tea tree. I also have a lavender/witch hazel toner I use on my face. I've heard that coconut oil is really useful in lotions as a moisturizer. I have some, so I was thinking about maybe dabbing a bit of milk on it then putting that coconut oil on to help out before I wash tonight. Any thoughts?I wish I woulda known about the peppermint oil before I went to the store. I literally JUST came back and I remember it was sitting right on the shelf where I was looking. lol. Should I dilute the peppermint oil or just use it straight?The area is literally a straight line down my scalp, where the hair parts. No where else. No blisters, though the area feels oily to the touch compared to the rest of my scalp. When I touch it I get sorta the same feeling as if you touch a blister after it's popped and with that top layer of skin peeled off. So, very raw and kinda oily/wet.
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,639 posts
sounds like sunburn and cocaunut oil might amplify the sun causing more burn id wear a hat till its better and try to get a good look at it or a closeup pic of it

Mandy said:
Well I don't think it's bugs. I checked my daughter and she doesn't have any, and I'm not really itchy all the time. Rather, I tend to get a bit itchy when it's time for a wash, that's usually how I know when I'm ready for another wash actually lol

I don't feel any bumps. It's just really tender and raw right down the part in the middle, where my scalp shows. I suppose I didn't even think that it might be sunburn. I recently moved from the garage to out in the back yard for smoking as the smell was bugging mom-in-law.

I have milk, but no aloe. The only oils I have right now are witch hazel, lavender, eucalyptus, and tea tree. I also have a lavender/witch hazel toner I use on my face. I've heard that coconut oil is really useful in lotions as a moisturizer. I have some, so I was thinking about maybe dabbing a bit of milk on it then putting that coconut oil on to help out before I wash tonight. Any thoughts?

I wish I woulda known about the peppermint oil before I went to the store. I literally JUST came back and I remember it was sitting right on the shelf where I was looking. lol. Should I dilute the peppermint oil or just use it straight?

The area is literally a straight line down my scalp, where the hair parts. No where else. No blisters, though the area feels oily to the touch compared to the rest of my scalp. When I touch it I get sorta the same feeling as if you touch a blister after it's popped and with that top layer of skin peeled off. So, very raw and kinda oily/wet.

--
Mandy2
@mandy2
14 years ago
55 posts
I gotcha. Thanks for catching it. And thank god I just finished my tam. xD
Panterra Caraway
@panterra-caraway
14 years ago
667 posts

Yep! Definitely sounds like a sunburn and SE is right...wear a hat until it is healed. The milk will help and so will a bit of Neosporin to moisturize as the skin heals and may begin to itch. Be aware that you will be more prone to burn this area again and apply sunscreen there if you can or wear a hat. Skin cancer is prevalent on the scalp, ears and face. You poor thing! I got a sunburn on my scalp and tops of my ears once from being out at an all weekend music festival one 4th of July and I cried from the pain! After it heals you have yucky peeling skin and itchies that drive you nuts!!! Be careful sweetie...blessings!
Mandy said:
Well I don't think it's bugs. I checked my daughter and she doesn't have any, and I'm not really itchy all the time. Rather, I tend to get a bit itchy when it's time for a wash, that's usually how I know when I'm ready for another wash actually lol

I don't feel any bumps. It's just really tender and raw right down the part in the middle, where my scalp shows. I suppose I didn't even think that it might be sunburn. I recently moved from the garage to out in the back yard for smoking as the smell was bugging mom-in-law.

I have milk, but no aloe. The only oils I have right now are witch hazel, lavender, eucalyptus, and tea tree. I also have a lavender/witch hazel toner I use on my face. I've heard that coconut oil is really useful in lotions as a moisturizer. I have some, so I was thinking about maybe dabbing a bit of milk on it then putting that coconut oil on to help out before I wash tonight. Any thoughts?

I wish I woulda known about the peppermint oil before I went to the store. I literally JUST came back and I remember it was sitting right on the shelf where I was looking. lol. Should I dilute the peppermint oil or just use it straight?

The area is literally a straight line down my scalp, where the hair parts. No where else. No blisters, though the area feels oily to the touch compared to the rest of my scalp. When I touch it I get sorta the same feeling as if you touch a blister after it's popped and with that top layer of skin peeled off. So, very raw and kinda oily/wet.
Panterra Caraway
@panterra-caraway
14 years ago
667 posts

P.S. Peppermint oil is fine straight! :)
Mandy said:
I gotcha. Thanks for catching it. And thank god I just finished my tam. xD
 / 2

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form