Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Follow up to stiff dreads, now what???

Dave2
@dave2
14 years ago
71 posts
i've heard you can use cold black tea to darken hair, dont know how effective it is(if any). Ask google.
updated by @dave2: 07/22/15 05:47:51PM
Dave2
@dave2
14 years ago
71 posts

Jack Roth said:
Its a sign of wisdom :)

so your saying all the grey haired politicians are really wise?lol
Panterra Caraway
@panterra-caraway
14 years ago
667 posts

At this point..considering the color buildup that you have, your options are a bit limited. You could go grey, use henna...and I think Knotty meant to say that it can only go darker, not lighter. Color in general can not lift color...in other words...if the hair has color on it then a haircolor can only darken it at this point. A haircolor can only lighten natural pigment (like when you apply it to roots). It would take a bleach (not a color with bleach...no such thing) to lift now and your hair isn't up to that. Whatever you decide...even if it is henna, I would be careful about putting it throughout the hair. Maybe coat the entire thing once and then only to the roots from then on if you can. I too color to hide the grey and with a very vibrant red shade I have to refresh it or look odd. So, I have only colored 2 times in 4 mos. It is very hard since I do grow very fast (about 3/4 in. a month!). I still recommend the henna, think it would be your best chance at defeating the buildup. I plan on using it also as I see the future damage I will be in for. As I told you privately, if you were not dreading and cutting regularly you wouldn't be in this dilemma and it really sucks that this is a "unique" hair situation because of the nature of dreading. Wish I had a better solution but I don't. I could try talking to some of my fellow professionals but I fear their hair knowledge does not include dreads. :(
Also, as for teas and such...great for most hair but grey usually does not have the needed absorption and cuticle condition to retain the stain. (Yep, I am just the bearer of all the bad news, huh? Sorry.). Alessandra said:
There are some hair dyes that are ammonia free, less chemicals in general supposedly...so those should work, but the only way to go lighter in hair color means the hair dye has to have some bleaching agent in order to do so. I have dark brown hair and tried henna once, a red shade. It gave an almost imperceptible red tint to my hair when the light was hitting it, but not much else.
Heather
@heather
14 years ago
1,291 posts
maybe these pics will inspire you:) http://lunarmusings.typepad.com/lunarmusings/dread-locks/ http://www.43things.com/entries/view/2931582

MiDread said:
I'll give some hard thought to just letting it go gray. I really hate the coloring process now that my hair is longer and I hate taking the time to do it. Its messy and a pain. Maybe I will have to check out some people with gray locks and see if I can picture myself that way! But, no promises!!
Jack Roth
@jack-roth
14 years ago
298 posts
No but i myself see it as a sign of wisdomI think it looks goodMakes u look like uve been there and done that, ya know

Dave said:

Jack Roth said:

NaturalWomyn
@naturalwomyn
14 years ago
849 posts
easy to say when you're 19! lol!

I personally don't think it looks bad either though. My hubby's 34 and he's got some silvers creepin into his dark dreads and I love it! Hopefully some day I will embrace my own as well.

Jack Roth said:

No but i myself see it as a sign of wisdom
I think it looks good
Makes u look like uve been there and done that, ya know

Dave said:

Jack Roth said:

Heather
@heather
14 years ago
1,291 posts
when i got my first grey i kind of freaked out but now i see them as a kind of honor. like i earned them. i tell my kids they gave them to me. lol. my son loves my greys and he's 15. he thinks they look cool:)

NaturalWomyn said:
easy to say when you're 19! lol!

I personally don't think it looks bad either though. My hubby's 34 and he's got some silvers creepin into his dark dreads and I love it! Hopefully some day I will embrace my own as well.

Jack Roth said:

No but i myself see it as a sign of wisdom
I think it looks good
Makes u look like uve been there and done that, ya know

Dave said:

Jack Roth said:

Heather
@heather
14 years ago
1,291 posts
i want to look like this lady when i get older:)
Panterra Caraway
@panterra-caraway
14 years ago
667 posts

Heather, I so enjoyed the first link you posted and now this great picture...you are awesome! So glad to have you as my dread friend and sister...your insights are a gift.
Heather said:
i want to look like this lady when i get older:)
MiDread
@midread
14 years ago
187 posts

She is an absolute inspiration. I LOVE her gray dreads. However, my older son just came down to see what I was doing and said "why would you let your hair go gray? - you're not THAT old!!! LOL!!! He thinks it would be totally "wierd".
Heather said:
maybe these pics will inspire you:)
http://lunarmusings.typepad.com/lunarmusings/dread-locks/
http://www.43things.com/entries/view/2931582

MiDread said:
I'll give some hard thought to just letting it go gray. I really hate the coloring process now that my hair is longer and I hate taking the time to do it. Its messy and a pain. Maybe I will have to check out some people with gray locks and see if I can picture myself that way! But, no promises!!

/ 3

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form