Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Follow up to stiff dreads, now what???

MiDread
@midread
14 years ago
187 posts
O.K. - after a couple of side bar discussions regarding my last post about stiff dreads. The general consensus is that I should stop using teatree so much, make sure I am not mixing my BS and ACV when washing and the fact that I color my hair is all contributing to the stiffness of my dreads.O.K. - the first two are easily remedied. Actually, having not used the teatree shampoo for a few days now and watching my BS/ACV wash, my hair does feel a little better. However, the coloring is an issue. I am graying and am not ready to go whole hog into the wild gray yonder. Therefore, I am looking for suggestions from people who color their dreadlocks on keeping them conditioned and preventing buildup during this process. I have searched forums on here, but mostly it appeared that people were coloring for "effect" rather than covering gray. So, I am planning on coloring for a while -period. Sorry, this is the last amount of vanity I have left and I am loathe to give it up. I need to know what the least damaging form of coloring and conditioning would be for my hair. I have never used henna, but I understand from reading on here that once you color dark with it - you are stuck. Are there options for lighter henna colors, maybe light brown to blonde???? What other options do I have. Any suggestions???? Thanks everyone!
updated by @midread: 02/14/15 11:48:25AM
Jack Roth
@jack-roth
14 years ago
298 posts
Just go grey who cares? its natural and it will look sick in your locks!
Heather
@heather
14 years ago
1,291 posts
i like my greys:) what about using the conditioner that comes with the color? i remember you saying that you usually skip it but maybe that would help with the softening of your dreads.
MiDread
@midread
14 years ago
187 posts
I know, I know... Not brave enough yet and it makes me look OLD!! I said it was the last vain thing I was hanging on too LOL!!!
NaturalWomyn
@naturalwomyn
14 years ago
849 posts
hey we all have our preferences so whatever makes you feel best you should go for! I don't dye my hair but from my understanding you can't go lighter with henna, knottysleeves has a lot of knowledge about henna so i would talk to her. Do you dye all of your hair when you color or just the roots? Conditioning after is definitely necessary Panterra could tell you why in greater detail than I but I know when using commercial dyes you need that conditioning afterward.
MiDread
@midread
14 years ago
187 posts
Actually, Panterra was the one that suggested my coloring habits are contributing to my dryness, which I can understand. Sometime in the near future, I may just let it all go. I try just to color the roots up when they start graying, but then I lightly wash it down the rest of my hair just to make sure I don't start getting stripes. I would gladly use the conditioner after the coloring, but was under the impression that it would build up inside my locks eventually and cause damage. Any thoughts on that anyone????
Heather
@heather
14 years ago
1,291 posts
considering how tight your dreads are at the moment i don't think build up would be an issue. the conditioner would have to get into the core which would be harder to do now. just keep the conditioner on the outside of the dreads and you'll probably be fine.

MiDread said:
Actually, Panterra was the one that suggested my coloring habits are contributing to my dryness, which I can understand. Sometime in the near future, I may just let it all go. I try just to color the roots up when they start graying, but then I lightly wash it down the rest of my hair just to make sure I don't start getting stripes. I would gladly use the conditioner after the coloring, but was under the impression that it would build up inside my locks eventually and cause damage. Any thoughts on that anyone????
NaturalWomyn
@naturalwomyn
14 years ago
849 posts
Yep panterra has loads of knowledge on hair!

lots of people condition their dreads, I would just make sure you do a deep cleanse sometime after dying/conditioning.

MiDread said:

MiDread
@midread
14 years ago
187 posts
I'll give some hard thought to just letting it go gray. I really hate the coloring process now that my hair is longer and I hate taking the time to do it. Its messy and a pain. Maybe I will have to check out some people with gray locks and see if I can picture myself that way! But, no promises!!
Jack Roth
@jack-roth
14 years ago
298 posts
Its a sign of wisdom :)
 / 3

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form