Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

The importance of daily hot water rinses

Panterra Caraway
@panterra-caraway
14 years ago
667 posts
Let's clarify this subject right now...I can appreciate everyone's imput because each of you seemed to have a part correct...I have done hair for over 30 years and have added my knowledge to a few threads, so here goes. The cuticle layer of the hair is affected by everything done to the hair. Water (hot or cold) opens and closes the cuticle layer. Basically, if you start with hot warm, cuticle opens...apply cold, cuticle closes. This would happen if the order was reversed too. Start with cold (open), end with hot...close. The reason is that if the cuticle is open it can only open so far before it must close. One of the reasons your hair fluffs up from a blowdry is because those cuticles once again open and create volumne. Anytime oxygen is applied to the hair it moves the cuticle (opening or closing). As for hot vs. cold water...hot warm can open the cuticle layer faster and wider, while cold water can close the cuticle down tighter. The thing you aren't mentioning is the scalp. Warmer water applied to the scalp can help to cut the oils that we secrete and the cold water can cause the cuticle and our scalp to constrict. Remember, healthy scalp is the basis for healthy hair. As for utilizing hot water to aid in dreading...when you use hot water or BS, these agents are drying, therefore, they can damage the cuticle layer while they are working (kind of like putting scratches on a c/d). The BS can be followed by ACV which will neutralize the dryness by balancing the PH...but repeated application of hot or very warm water just speeds the destruction of the cuticle layer by forcing the cuticle open faster and wider. Eventually, these scales (cuticle) can snap off. When you see split ends or small white "beads" in your hair you are seeing broken cuticle. Sometimes, the scales will just stay open for awhile before they break...but it is all irreversable damage. In the process of dreading, dry, and damaged cuticles may aid in initial tangling and is in no way not a part of the process, but true mature dreading is the process of interlocked and knotted hair strands.
updated by @panterra-caraway: 07/13/15 11:51:15AM
Panterra Caraway
@panterra-caraway
14 years ago
667 posts

My pleasure...you are very welcome :)
Chewin Change said:
great response thank you
Kathleen1
@kathleen1
14 years ago
28 posts
well its a dam good thing my hair knots and tangles naturally then o.O. ill still do my rinses because the shrinkage that my hair is naturally able to do can also help with the knotting and the tangling, thanx for ur input. i guess i dont really need my own advice lmao. ill still do it tho, just for the shrinkage effect.
Bene
@bene
14 years ago
35 posts
for me hot water seems to help my dreads locking especially the tipsbut i couldnwash them every day cause they take like a whole day to dry that would be anoying and pretty bad for my health because the winters here are pretty coldsometimes if i go out too long in the winter with wet hair they freeze and thats no good

/ 2
Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form