Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Need help with my dreads!!

Nabin Giri
@nabin-giri
14 years ago
12 posts
Hi everyone,I am logging in to the site after a long time as I have been very busy lately. Let me give bother you with a brief history first:I got my natural hair crocheted to dreads roughly about 13-14 months back. The guy who did it for me is a very good friend and he himself carries a headful of dread that I always envied. It took us 3 sittings of 4-5 hrs each to get my entire head covered. During the process, he had told me that he is doing it roughly so as to just give them some form and they would eventually lock up themselves. I entrusted him completely as any novice would.After about 12-13 months these days I notice I have too many loose hairs and fuzzies. I also notice that there are huge patches (almost a palmful or more) between any 2 dreads. All in all I have 32 locks on my entire head. I have seen other comments here and found ppl tend to have lot more (almost double).Will those loose strands of hair lock themselves or do I need to do anything specific? If yes, please suggest.What about those huge gaps between those dreads? How do I get more dreads (not that I would desperately want to but "the more the merrier")?There are lose hairs and fuzzies. Some of them have curled up more than my normal hair. Are they on the process??I might just be looking at the mirror a bit too much but I am starting to get annoyed and worried. Are my problems as listed above normal and I am just getting paranoid? OR do i really have to be worried?Please give me heads on and I will really be thankful to all of you.
updated by @nabin-giri: 01/13/15 08:47:38PM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts
crocheting is a realllly bad way to dread extremely damafging and i hope u have not maintained by crocher toocrochet causes alot of broken hairs and he did it roughly which is extra extra badu should never have let anyone ever touch u with crochetnow u got alotta damage and the dreads need to recoveru got gaps because u probly had horrible sectioning and way too tigyt crocheti dunno what to tell y=u without seeing them butbest thing to do is nothing but seperate and hoper they recover32 isnt bad i know ppl with 13but when crocheted that means each dreads 1/3 the thickness it should be so thats 2/3 more gap space then should be toopalm size though sounds scaryu should thank your freind for fucking u up and being clueless about dreadingwhat u will want to do is condition to fluff them up so they arenht so extremely tight and they thicken up and can dread naturally from thereits gonna be a long recoveryand loose hairs betwreen dreads just leave em aklone they will dread when ready

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Nabin Giri
@nabin-giri
14 years ago
12 posts
Dear SE,Thanks for the response. I am aware of the problems. Can you please advice on how things can be better hereon? I know i shouldn't have crocheted but i did it and there is no going back now. By the way can u give me tips on twist and rip method? How is it done? Is it done only for new dreads? can old dreads be maintained by twisting and ripping?

soaringeagle said:
crocheting is a realllly bad way to dread extremely damafging and i hope u have not maintained by crocher too
crochet causes alot of broken hairs and he did it roughly which is extra extra bad
u should never have let anyone ever touch u with crochet

now u got alotta damage and the dreads need to recover

u got gaps because u probly had horrible sectioning and way too tigyt crochet
i dunno what to tell y=u without seeing them but
best thing to do is nothing but seperate and hoper they recover
32 isnt bad i know ppl with 13
but when crocheted that means each dreads 1/3 the thickness it should be so thats 2/3 more gap space then should be too

palm size though sounds scary
u should thank your freind for fucking u up and being clueless about dreading

what u will want to do is condition to fluff them up so they arenht so extremely tight and they thicken up and can dread naturally from there
its gonna be a long recovery
and loose hairs betwreen dreads just leave em aklone they will dread when ready
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts
no old dreads need no maintenance except seperatingt&r is only for making initial dreads if u dont go naturalwell like i said try to get them to loosen up and puff up get thickercondition them till they start to loosen up

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Jackal
@jackal
14 years ago
132 posts
the loose hairs will lock. if you havent maintained with extra crocheting they will eventually fix themselves.. they might be a little scrappy for a little while but in time they'll look alright. when the loose hairs are ready they will dread or combine with a dread. the really curled up ones sound like theyre in the process of dreading already. hair curls and loops and folds over itself to form dreads, and especially if its curled more than your normal loose hair would. i would just do some sea salt soaks (they help a crapton) and let them do their thing. ive found a small amount of palm rolling can compress knots that already formed and shape the dread a little, but it only works to a very small extent and only when theyre young, but still worth doing once you get outta the shower every now and then.
Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form