Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Washing advice needed for flake-ridden fool.

Eva Deva
@eva-deva
14 years ago
36 posts
Also - it is possible your scalp just got some sunburn and thats why it is flaking so bad up front..I totally reccommend the baking soda/applevinegar wash everyone else is raving about...My dreads are new but anytime i have issues with scalp i give em a good rinse and it takes care of the issue ASAP.
updated by @eva-deva: 07/03/15 06:32:01AM
Callum Wheatley
@callum-wheatley
14 years ago
7 posts
Wow! That felt great, if not only just to have had my head directly under the shower head for the first time in 7 years!! And we have an awesome shower that I've never been able to fire right on my scalp.There no flakes at all at the moment, but the front area has started to appear slightly cracked again. As we dried me off, myself and my washing companion both commented on how it only looked sunburnt now, and then saw your comment, Eva.I had thought of that before, but didn't want to get carried away with wishful thinking. I didn't manage to get hold of any Aloe Vera today but do have some Aloe Vera moisturiser which I may pop a small amount of.I also set the waxiest, hardest dreads in a large bowl of boiled water to get a start on breaking those down a bit. They went so soft in the water it was obvious the wax was softening, and a fair bit of wax came out, mainly only from the ends of the dreads, bringing a bit of hair with it. When dry, these clumps were worryingly dusty and full of sediment. Although, not quite as disturbing as the colour of the water running off my hair, we rinsed over the bath with the plug in and watched the brown water collect as the baking soda rinse did its thing.Wringing the dreads out in the shower for the second rinse had a khaki coloured milkshake oozing out, and then rinsing after a short vinegar soak this milky bi-product was almost clear in parts.Bloody good to see this progress already, still a long way to go, but I can certainly get used to this peppermint cloud following me round. What other oils are recommended for a fresh & fruity post-wash smell?
Eva Deva
@eva-deva
14 years ago
36 posts
WOO HOO!!!!! so glad to hear about the sudden success brother!!! way to go man - doesnt that rinse feel friggin awesome????Lemongrass has a nice clean scent...as does lemon bee balmi use lavender, sometimes sage and rosemary as well...cloves...basil...spearmintu may just wanna stick with the teatree for awhile though before adding anything new in to your hair. sounds like a deep cleaning was very necessary...make sure whenever you do put something in your hair that it has been dilluted a bit first. i know some people have allergic reactions to vinegar, and also to teatree when it is full strength..cheers!

Callum Wheatley said:
Wow! That felt great, if not only just to have had my head directly under the shower head for the first time in 7 years!! And we have an awesome shower that I've never been able to fire right on my scalp.

There no flakes at all at the moment, but the front area has started to appear slightly cracked again. As we dried me off, myself and my washing companion both commented on how it only looked sunburnt now, and then saw your comment, Eva.

I had thought of that before, but didn't want to get carried away with wishful thinking. I didn't manage to get hold of any Aloe Vera today but do have some Aloe Vera moisturiser which I may pop a small amount of.

I also set the waxiest, hardest dreads in a large bowl of boiled water to get a start on breaking those down a bit. They went so soft in the water it was obvious the wax was softening, and a fair bit of wax came out, mainly only from the ends of the dreads, bringing a bit of hair with it. When dry, these clumps were worryingly dusty and full of sediment. Although, not quite as disturbing as the colour of the water running off my hair, we rinsed over the bath with the plug in and watched the brown water collect as the baking soda rinse did its thing.

Wringing the dreads out in the shower for the second rinse had a khaki coloured milkshake oozing out, and then rinsing after a short vinegar soak this milky bi-product was almost clear in parts.

Bloody good to see this progress already, still a long way to go, but I can certainly get used to this peppermint cloud following me round. What other oils are recommended for a fresh & fruity post-wash smell?
Eva Deva
@eva-deva
14 years ago
36 posts
PS - next time take pics of the process and show us whats goin on - i know a lot of ppl are lookin for results from dreds which have been waxed

Eva Deva said:
WOO HOO!!!!! so glad to hear about the sudden success brother!!! way to go man - doesnt that rinse feel friggin awesome????
Lemongrass has a nice clean scent...as does lemon bee balm
i use lavender, sometimes sage and rosemary as well...cloves...
basil...spearmint
u may just wanna stick with the teatree for awhile though before adding anything new in to your hair. sounds like a deep cleaning was very necessary...make sure whenever you do put something in your hair that it has been dilluted a bit first. i know some people have allergic reactions to vinegar, and also to teatree when it is full strength..
cheers!

Callum Wheatley said:
Wow! That felt great, if not only just to have had my head directly under the shower head for the first time in 7 years!! And we have an awesome shower that I've never been able to fire right on my scalp.

There no flakes at all at the moment, but the front area has started to appear slightly cracked again. As we dried me off, myself and my washing companion both commented on how it only looked sunburnt now, and then saw your comment, Eva.

I had thought of that before, but didn't want to get carried away with wishful thinking. I didn't manage to get hold of any Aloe Vera today but do have some Aloe Vera moisturiser which I may pop a small amount of.

I also set the waxiest, hardest dreads in a large bowl of boiled water to get a start on breaking those down a bit. They went so soft in the water it was obvious the wax was softening, and a fair bit of wax came out, mainly only from the ends of the dreads, bringing a bit of hair with it. When dry, these clumps were worryingly dusty and full of sediment. Although, not quite as disturbing as the colour of the water running off my hair, we rinsed over the bath with the plug in and watched the brown water collect as the baking soda rinse did its thing.

Wringing the dreads out in the shower for the second rinse had a khaki coloured milkshake oozing out, and then rinsing after a short vinegar soak this milky bi-product was almost clear in parts.

Bloody good to see this progress already, still a long way to go, but I can certainly get used to this peppermint cloud following me round. What other oils are recommended for a fresh & fruity post-wash smell?
Callum Wheatley
@callum-wheatley
14 years ago
7 posts

There's rinse number 1! I'll try and take a similar photo for each wash until it's almost clear.This was 4.5 litres of water with about 3/4 cup of B.Soda, peppermint, tea tree, lavender and rosemary oils, which was mostly poured onto my scalp, and left to sit for 30 mins.I'm ready to go again!
updated by @callum-wheatley: 02/05/15 10:12:49AM
Callum Wheatley
@callum-wheatley
14 years ago
7 posts
The only suggestion toward sunburn is because this condition started up and worsened as I was away on holiday, I did only slightly burn my forehead while there, but didn't really notice it being much worse on my hairline. And the white patches I have now don't seem convincing as sunburn. Thanks a great deal for your help and advice into psoriasis, Rawsum.I'm going to look a lot more into this over the weekend,Dreads are still slightly sticky, but drying better than I imagined so far.Can't wait for the next wash!

/ 2
Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form