Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Best alternative to wool is..?

Jon2
@jon2
14 years ago
25 posts
This one's a tough one. I think I would have to meet the person and see what they think about the whole thing. I would also like to know what happens to the sheep once they're done with it. The only way I could give a solid yes is if it was someone like the vegan farmer in the movie Barnyard if any of you have seen that. The easiest answer for me will always be no, because that's the only way I can make sure I'm not contributing to an animal's suffering. If it ends with the animal's death, or being in pain, I don't really want part of it.

Chewin Change said:
there are no alternatives if you want to have the same properties.

it causes your hair to stick together whereas other fibers can separate them.

would you be opposed to buying a wool tam from someone who owns their own sheep and raises them organically and then spools it into yarn?

updated by @jon2: 07/25/15 02:44:33AM
Jon2
@jon2
14 years ago
25 posts
Now that I can agree with. Not exploiting the sheep or leaving it to freeze in the cold. Profit from the sanitary grooming, IMO, should be expected. If the sheep's not hurt, then it sounds good to me.

Chewin Change said:
right but i mean i think if the sheep is shaven gently, and only shaven for purposes of hygiene and not for profit, and they're not freezing their ass off, then the argument would be a little better.
Jon2
@jon2
14 years ago
25 posts
Yes, cotton would work too. The only reason why I was thinking of something other than cotton and other fabrics is that I've been browsing through here and it seems like it could slow down the dreading process? Have you noticed anything with using the cotton?

Desirae Rose said:
Can't you just use cotton? Cotton is so great. ^_^
Jon2
@jon2
14 years ago
25 posts
Thanks for all the info, everyone. Now I just gotta see when I can afford a pair :)

Chewin Change said:
cotton is low on the list of electrons..

wool attracts your hair to eachother. its magic. it really just creates static. if you get static from acrylic it's opposite where your hair draws apart.
Alex Angam
@alex-angam
14 years ago
47 posts
That's a good bit of information, and now I understand!

Jon said:
No offense at all, bro. It's good to want to learn, as long as you're respectful (which you were) I don't mind answering questions.

You pretty much got it right, we don't want to use any products that are made by harming the animals. The thing is wool is, unless you know where it's coming from, you don't know how they got it. Most of the people the shear the sheep don't care much for how they do it, and the sheep does end up being hurt by it (not everyone is like this, though.) Also a most of these products that come from animals seem to be a by-product of animal farming.

An example of this is boar hair bristles for hair brushes. Some say they get them by simply clipping the boar's hairs, but it's hard to believe that someone (at least a big company) would spend the effort of doing this when they could be obtained from slaughtered pigs.

The majority of animal products are a by-product of animal farming. We want animals to lead a natural life, and since we are so developed here in America, we HAVE the choice to not use animal products. We simply want to end the suffering of the animals, or at least lessen it by not using the products ourselves and we should also educate others, and maybe they'll use them less.

Hope this cleared up why we don't use wool. There's so many people that don't seem to care about animals it's hard to believe someone isn't harming them unless you see the process in person, you know what I mean?

And also, once the animal is done being useful, where will it end up?

(Long, and edited to add more things that came from discussing this with my girlfriend. I've only been vegan for a couple of years, I can relate to the ease of these products, but they cause too much harm. We wouldn't want this to happen to us, why let it happen to them?)

Alex Angam said:
Can vegans not use wool? I thought it was only animal products that harm or kill the animal. Don't get mad, I'm just curious! Because we all know that sheep get super gnarly and there wool grows right back, kind of like some dogs!
Panterra Caraway
@panterra-caraway
14 years ago
667 posts
Hi! Not trying to argue with you but I don't think you have all your info correct Jon. As far as wool goes...years ago I am sure it was much different, but these days with the popularity of fiber arts such as kntting and crocheting yarn (especially wool ) is big business. Skeins of pure wool can cost as much as $200! Yes, that is right, $200! I have been to yarn shows and festivals where the yarn is as precious as gold. The sheep that produce this yarn are the manufactures bread and butter and they want that sheep (or rabbit, or alpaca, etc.) to be healthy and well cared for so that they can continue to produce beautiful yarn. On top of that, sheep need to be sheered to keep them healthy and happy. Without sheering, an animal can attract bugs and other problems due to their bulky coat. Sheep are sheered in the warm weather and they are more comfortable with their new haircuts. Sheep can produce yarn their entire lives so what is so wrong with people making beautiful items out of what could be just thrown away in the routine caring of the sheep? It is in no way humane to let an animal become infested with bugs or swelter in the heat and search the wilderness for food when they can be in the shade, feed well and sheered and kept healthy. I think it is unfair to assume that people harm animals across the board. The workers who sheer the sheep can do their job in a matter of minutes and the animal is unharmed.
Jon2
@jon2
14 years ago
25 posts
Howdy.I think the reason why we're both disagreeing is because we're thinking of completely different scenarios. I can see how the animals kept by someone who uses their yarn for fiber art are going to be kept healthy, but I'm thinking more of cheap, commercially available yarn like what you might find at the nearest department store.Places like these, I just can't see them working with someone that sells for that kind of price. If you work with fiber art, I can see your yarn being from such a place. If you were someone like me, who doesn't have that much money and would be looking for a cheaper yarn, I don't think I would get something like what you're talking about. The places I would look for this yarn probably sell wool as a by-product of meat. At least, this is how I believe they would do it, I cannot see such stores who would sell these yarns for a couple of bucks spending time, effort and money on keeping an animal healthy and happy, as it should be when they'll most likely send if off to a slaughter house at some point.My comment was not directed to all who sell/use yarn. You always have to look at the big picture, IMO. I just think big commercial chains that sell cheap wool wouldn't do it as you are describing it. Thank you for the info on fiber art, though. That way it does make sense to me, but I know I don't have the money for something that expensive lol.

Panterra Caraway said:
Hi! Not trying to argue with you but I don't think you have all your info correct Jon. As far as wool goes...years ago I am sure it was much different, but these days with the popularity of fiber arts such as kntting and crocheting yarn (especially wool ) is big business. Skeins of pure wool can cost as much as $200! Yes, that is right, $200! I have been to yarn shows and festivals where the yarn is as precious as gold. The sheep that produce this yarn are the manufactures bread and butter and they want that sheep (or rabbit, or alpaca, etc.) to be healthy and well cared for so that they can continue to produce beautiful yarn. On top of that, sheep need to be sheered to keep them healthy and happy. Without sheering, an animal can attract bugs and other problems due to their bulky coat. Sheep are sheered in the warm weather and they are more comfortable with their new haircuts. Sheep can produce yarn their entire lives so what is so wrong with people making beautiful items out of what could be just thrown away in the routine caring of the sheep? It is in no way humane to let an animal become infested with bugs or swelter in the heat and search the wilderness for food when they can be in the shade, feed well and sheered and kept healthy. I think it is unfair to assume that people harm animals across the board. The workers who sheer the sheep can do their job in a matter of minutes and the animal is unharmed.
Pranee RN
@pranee-rn
14 years ago
23 posts
I love this discussion! I have been vegetarian for 10 years now but refrain from calling myself vegan due to the wool thing. My mother goes every year to colonial williamsburg in Virginia and gets a fleece. They have a special breed of sheep there and they are very well kept. I always enjoy wearing a mask, glasses and gloves to help her process and card them (I am allergic to raw wool). I also have a local apiary that I get my honey from, the owner loves his bees and sells it sparingly. I love honey!!!I also frequent the local thrift store and recycle the ugly wool sweaters that no one else will buy when they sell for $1.00 and next trip is to the garbage. I love to knit!!!
Panterra Caraway
@panterra-caraway
14 years ago
667 posts

Once again, excuse me. The "cheap wool" you are referring to isn't wool and if you knew anything about wool you would know that. No wool is cheap. If you go into a chain store like Micheal's and JoAnnes or even Walmart you will notrice (if you read the label) that the cheap yarn is acrylic...in other words, man made. You will always frequently see the label saying "blend", which is another nice way of saying polyester. Any wool is going to be more expensive than an acrylic yarn. Even in a chain store you will notice, that IF they even have stock of 100% percent wool it will cost more than the others. That is why I personally sell my homemade tams at a slightly higher price than some people because I am using 100% percent wool instead of a cheaper, man-made acrylic. Companies that make pure wool yarn like Berocco, Patton, Lion Brand and many others aren't in the business of meat, they are in the business of yarn and without sheep they don't have a business. You just assume that yarn and wool are just some left overs after a slaughter and that is not true. I know you have the best intentions but in this case you are wrong. We are not discussing two different things here.
Jon said:
Howdy.

I think the reason why we're both disagreeing is because we're thinking of completely different scenarios. I can see how the animals kept by someone who uses their yarn for fiber art are going to be kept healthy, but I'm thinking more of cheap, commercially available yarn like what you might find at the nearest department store.

Places like these, I just can't see them working with someone that sells for that kind of price. If you work with fiber art, I can see your yarn being from such a place. If you were someone like me, who doesn't have that much money and would be looking for a cheaper yarn, I don't think I would get something like what you're talking about. The places I would look for this yarn probably sell wool as a by-product of meat. At least, this is how I believe they would do it, I cannot see such stores who would sell these yarns for a couple of bucks spending time, effort and money on keeping an animal healthy and happy, as it should be when they'll most likely send if off to a slaughter house at some point.

My comment was not directed to all who sell/use yarn. You always have to look at the big picture, IMO. I just think big commercial chains that sell cheap wool wouldn't do it as you are describing it. Thank you for the info on fiber art, though. That way it does make sense to me, but I know I don't have the money for something that expensive lol.

Panterra Caraway said:
NaturalWomyn
@naturalwomyn
14 years ago
849 posts
actually traditionally grown cotton is considered worlds dirtiest crop. cotton uses 2.5% of the worlds cultivated land and uses 16% of the worlds insecticides!!! More than any other single major crop. Three of the most acutely hazardous insecticides, as determined by the World Health Organization, are commonly used in producing cotton. One of them, Aldicarb, can kill a man with just one drop absorbed through the skin,yet it is still used in 25 countries and the U.S., where 16 states have reported it in their groundwater."

Not to mention the large amounts of synthetic nitrogen based fertilizers. It takes 1/3 of a pound of those nasty ferts to produce 1 pound of cotton and 1 pound of cotton makes about 1 t-shirt! Researchers have found that the fertilizers used on cotton are the most detrimental to the environment, running off into freshwater habitats and groundwater and causing oxygen-free dead zones in water bodies. The nitrogen oxides formed during the production and use of these fertilizers are also a major part of the agricultural sectors greenhouse gas emissions. All extremely BAD for any living creature animal or Human!

Jon said:

Yes, cotton would work too. The only reason why I was thinking of something other than cotton and other fabrics is that I've been browsing through here and it seems like it could slow down the dreading process? Have you noticed anything with using the cotton?

Desirae Rose said:
Can't you just use cotton? Cotton is so great. ^_^

/ 4

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form