Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Handmade soap not rinsing out

Heather
@heather
14 years ago
1,291 posts
i'm noticing a kind of residue on my hair the next day after i wash with my maylees shampoo bar. my hair feels like it has conditioner in it.anyone else have a problem with this soap? could it be our hard water?i wonder if getting a water filter for the shower head would help. i bought 3 bars of her soaps and i really want to be able to use them.any help would be appreciated:)
updated by @heather: 02/14/15 09:38:11AM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts
its probly the water like bronners some others did have that too buy not me at all even when a meylees bar made me use way way more then i would it rinsed out super easyso it must be the water

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Heather
@heather
14 years ago
1,291 posts
ya. i had a problem with bronners not rinsing out either. i guess i'll look into a filter or something so i can still use the bars.do you think a baking soda wash would remove the residue even without a filter?
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts
yup it should

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Heather
@heather
14 years ago
1,291 posts
i guess i'll pick up a bottle of prell. at least to just remove the maylees.i wonder if touching my hair so much while i wash is a bad idea. my hair is having a hard time knotting already.i think i saw SE recommend to someone that was doing natural locks, to just pour bs mixture over your head rinse then pour acv mixture over and rinse. no touching. maybe that will help me knot faster.will the bs and acv get rid of the residue thats on my hair now? Chewin Change said:
ya what SE said..

so i have very hard water in denver and dr. bronnars left a ton of residue and even the non-residue shampoos are tough to rinse.

the only non-residue shampoo i've used that doesn't leave any residue is prell classic.. i dont use that much and it rinses a little easier than burts bees and dhhq (dhhq is harder to rinse out than anything i've used). it used to contain conditioner but nowadays it doesn't.

of course since it takes longer to rinse out you're running water through your hair more which doesn't help the dreading that much. but it was certainly strong enough to get "squeaky" clean

you could always try that out for one of your washes one month, it was only like $2.50. try it out and see if your hair is knottier!! i used prell last wash and burts before that. i think ill use burts when i go on dates, prell when i need deep cleaning, and baking soda most of the time!!
NaturalWomyn
@naturalwomyn
14 years ago
849 posts
don't use prell it's garbage. I use the maylees with no problem but you need to alternate with the baking soda and RINSE RINSE RINSE SQUEEZE and RINSE some more. LOL!
Cargo Chick
@cargo-chick
14 years ago
28 posts
I actually just talked to Libby (who owns Maylee's Garden) about a couple of issues...and this was one of them! The first time I used it on my hair it felt all waxy afterwards. So then I diluted the Dreadhead HQ shampoo I had (yeah yea, but it was all I had on hand) and washed with that the day after...all my dreads loosened up! Gah! So then I used maylee's again (not as much) and while there's still somethign there, it seems to be helping rather than hurting my baby dreadies. Have you had trouble with the soap lathering? Libby said it should have massive lather...if it doesn't (like mine) then all your issues are probably hard water probs.
NaturalWomyn
@naturalwomyn
14 years ago
849 posts
if you're having trouble getting knots to start you really don't want to use prell it will slow your progress down even further. Yes the baking soda will remove any leftover residues. Heather said:
i guess i'll pick up a bottle of prell. at least to just remove the maylees.

i wonder if touching my hair so much while i wash is a bad idea. my hair is having a hard time knotting already.

i think i saw SE recommend to someone that was doing natural locks, to just pour bs mixture over your head rinse then pour acv mixture over and rinse. no touching. maybe that will help me knot faster.

will the bs and acv get rid of the residue thats on my hair now?

Chewin Change said:
ya what SE said..

so i have very hard water in denver and dr. bronnars left a ton of residue and even the non-residue shampoos are tough to rinse.

the only non-residue shampoo i've used that doesn't leave any residue is prell classic.. i dont use that much and it rinses a little easier than burts bees and dhhq (dhhq is harder to rinse out than anything i've used). it used to contain conditioner but nowadays it doesn't.

of course since it takes longer to rinse out you're running water through your hair more which doesn't help the dreading that much. but it was certainly strong enough to get "squeaky" clean

you could always try that out for one of your washes one month, it was only like $2.50. try it out and see if your hair is knottier!! i used prell last wash and burts before that. i think ill use burts when i go on dates, prell when i need deep cleaning, and baking soda most of the time!!
Heather
@heather
14 years ago
1,291 posts
it lathers a little but i definitely wouldnt say massive lather. i think getting a water softener for my shower head might make the difference. i have to wait until payday though. Cargo Chick said:
I actually just talked to Libby (who owns Maylee's Garden) about a couple of issues...and this was one of them! The first time I used it on my hair it felt all waxy afterwards. So then I diluted the Dreadhead HQ shampoo I had (yeah yea, but it was all I had on hand) and washed with that the day after...all my dreads loosened up! Gah! So then I used maylee's again (not as much) and while there's still somethign there, it seems to be helping rather than hurting my baby dreadies. Have you had trouble with the soap lathering? Libby said it should have massive lather...if it doesn't (like mine) then all your issues are probably hard water probs.
Heather
@heather
14 years ago
1,291 posts
okay. i'll stay away from the prell. i definitely dont want to stop my hair from knotting. i guess i'll do the bs and acv wash for now. i just want to get all the residue out from the bar soap and i hope the bs will do it.do you think soaking my hair in a bucket with bs would help? NaturalWomyn said:
if you're having trouble getting knots to start you really don't want to use prell it will slow your progress down even further. Yes the baking soda will remove any leftover residues.

Heather said:
i guess i'll pick up a bottle of prell. at least to just remove the maylees.

i wonder if touching my hair so much while i wash is a bad idea. my hair is having a hard time knotting already.

i think i saw SE recommend to someone that was doing natural locks, to just pour bs mixture over your head rinse then pour acv mixture over and rinse. no touching. maybe that will help me knot faster.

will the bs and acv get rid of the residue thats on my hair now?

Chewin Change said:
ya what SE said..

/ 2

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form