Like this page? Then share it!
Dreadlocks Site Highly Recommends dreadlockshampoo.com
Dreadlocks Forums

1st post here - Seeking some advice

DeMarco Ryans
@demarco-ryans
7 years ago
22 posts
Hi all,My name is DeMarco I've been a silent reader for a little while but would like to be more involved. I have a query with regards to new growth and encouraging how not to inhibit it's locking. But to help anyone who decides to help me here is a little background on my dreadlock journey thus far.Attempted gel twist at a Salon, hair didn't take to it to kindly 1st time. When I went back a month later the guy washing my hair asked if I had put wax in it because it had gotten scummy.Second time around the twists came out within 10 hours of being done, and they tried to charge me for having them re done, eventually got them done for free after calling the owner of the business. They re did them but they were so bad I washed them out myself this time out of frustration.Decided to let my hair grow for a few more months but disillusioned with the twist method as my hair seemed to spring free from it on all but one occasion, I visited an Eastern European guy who crocheted my 5 inches of hair.Since then through research I have learned not to crochet my hair and not to wax it either, however 5 months on from starting by crochet I have up to 3 inches of new growth which thanks to the crocheted tips remains sectioned.My question is, I am currently trying to figure out how to aide these roots in locking up, without gel twist or wax, doing as little as possible to interfere with them as they are not currently coming together, as far as my eyes can see. Does anyone have any suggestions/advice?Also, how do I avoid growing my dreads out completely flattened under the weight of my enormous head? :) (couldn't wear a size 8 fitted when I had a lil fro). Would palm rolling be of any use. I will try to upload some pictures later on.I've spoken to Soaring Eagle about a few of these points but I thought I'd pick a few more brains too on some of my newer issues. And introduce myself to the community.Thanking you in advanceI look forward to speaking to you all.
updated by @demarco-ryans: 02/15/15 08:32:22AM
NaturalWomyn
@naturalwomyn
7 years ago
849 posts
Welcome! what type of hair do you have?? Pics would be great. You're safest bet would really be to just leave it alone and allow it to lock itself up. That may take a bit longer because of the crocheting.
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
7 years ago
27,921 posts
dont crochetsalons were a bad idea u should have gone natural and just let it dreadand with the roots thats what u should do..let em dread

--
Creator and head dreadhead at:
Dreadlocks Site
Glider pilot student at:
Freedoms wings international
DeMarco Ryans
@demarco-ryans
7 years ago
22 posts
I knew I forgot something after proof reading this post. I have African textured hair very curly and knots naturally. One of the reasons why I was so keen to get my hair locked and made the bad decision to crochet was because my hair was knotting so heavily, I'd get up comb it with a non static afro comb and an hour later it would have compacted itself into a tight halo of fuzz about an inch deep even though the hair was up to 5 times longer than this.On occasion I've pulled a hair out to see how the hair is doing and I have noticed that the hair is now growing straighter with curls kinks and twists along the length. Rather than just curl on top of curls.Thank you for the welcome by the way
DeMarco Ryans
@demarco-ryans
7 years ago
22 posts
That's the plan. Yeah unfortunately I got sucked into a trap with the dreadlock culture here in the UK. You won't get dreads without going to the salon. I soon realised that whilst the hairstyle differed the ethics of a salon remained the same. Judgment of my hair quality or how long my hair was as a measure of how much respect I should garner from others. I didn't want to be wrapped in that culture so I stopped going.When I went for the crochet, it was as a last resort as a friend had started their's by crochet but then just dry hand twisted them from their after. The difference between our hair being his is a mixture of black and white hair textures where as mine is hair like wool despite both my mother and father having loose textured hair.I have no intention of crocheting having learned the damage it can do. That's a promise :)Should I separate hairs that are straying into others/ dreads that are joining together?soaringeagle said:
dont crochet
salons were a bad idea u should have gone natural and just let it dread
and with the roots thats what u should do..let em dread
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
7 years ago
27,921 posts
i would recomend seperating unless u want totakl freeform like hummingbird love gorrillas wildness hes got goin onif u dont seperate they will eaT EAChOThER AND BECOME hUGE

--
Creator and head dreadhead at:
Dreadlocks Site
Glider pilot student at:
Freedoms wings international
Angelina Aurelia*~*
@angelina-aurelia
7 years ago
42 posts
go all natural man wash with baking soda shampoo or dr.b shampoo every 3-4 days. thats all you need to have beautiful dreads. listen to SE, he really knows it all! :)
DeMarco Ryans
@demarco-ryans
7 years ago
22 posts
I had the liquid castile soap the citron one, but now I have the tea tree castille soap bar. Is there any benefit from using one rather than the other if you have any experience with liquid and bar. I've been hesitant to use the bar as I wasn't sure if it would leave build up/get rid of build up as well as the liquid soap. I cycle 7 miles minimum each day so heavy sweat is a daily occurrence for me.thank you for the tipsAngelina Aurelia*~* said:
go all natural man wash with baking soda shampoo or dr.b shampoo every 3-4 days. thats all you need to have beautiful dreads. listen to SE, he really knows it all! :)
DeMarco Ryans
@demarco-ryans
7 years ago
22 posts
His are remarkable. I shall let them do the dreading and just separate the wild onessoaringeagle said:
i would recomend seperating unless u want totakl freeform like hummingbird love gorrillas wildness hes got goin on
if u dont seperate they will eaT EAChOThER AND BECOME hUGE
Earth Rose
@earth-rose
7 years ago
38 posts
Usually new growth wont dread right away because it's baby hair, so fine and soft, as soon as it gets a little less soft it'll dread nicer.I prefer the bar it get so much soapier and still rinses so clean! Liquid DB you need to dilute, or it'll irritate your skin.DeMarco Ryans said:
I had the liquid castile soap the citron one, but now I have the tea tree castille soap bar. Is there any benefit from using one rather than the other if you have any experience with liquid and bar. I've been hesitant to use the bar as I wasn't sure if it would leave build up/get rid of build up as well as the liquid soap. I cycle 7 miles minimum each day so heavy sweat is a daily occurrence for me.

thank you for the tips

Angelina Aurelia*~* said:
 / 2

Dislike 0

Share This

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
Contact Form