Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Annoying Comments

Melanie2
@melanie2
14 years ago
99 posts
I realise people mean well and mostly are just trying to make polite conversation but why as a dreadie should I have to put up with people's naive remarks...the most common of which is (when they see all my loose hairs/new growth sticking out) : "Are you going to get your hair re-done?" and "Are you growing it out?"It makes me feel like I HAVE to do something about the loose hairs but I really don't know what, aside from hair glue. Some of my bunches of loose hair are six inches or more long.Anyway, I don't make remarks about anyone else's hair, unless complimentary.
updated by @melanie2: 01/13/15 08:45:07PM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts
just look ar em confused and say what do u mean? dont you know dreads just happen this way?why should i fix something thats working perfectlythen use it as an oppurtunity to educate the ignorant

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Jack Roth
@jack-roth
14 years ago
298 posts
i actually have one lil question about loose hair, i have quite alot on the edges of my hair cause thats where the oil drains to but i was just wondering like cause i dont mind the loose hair at all i just have one bit at the front that pisses me off!!!!!! so much and its well short atm, i was just wondering what a prediction of what this hair will do would be, ya know ?
Joe muir
@joe-muir
14 years ago
75 posts
mY favorite is when my grandmother who has been a hair stylist for 40 years tells me im destroying my hair (ironic if I do say so myself) and Im going to get lice.Another is my grandfather who doesnt seem to understand how dreads work.every goddamn time i see him he makes the remark "I think I see a mouse" and says they look terrible and that im doing it "wrong". he says that because there is a guy at the guitar center where I get all my equipment who has great dreads and says mine should look like his. he has had his dreads for the many years Ive known him and my dreads are just over a month old.Old people. what are you gonna do?
chick_pea
@chick-pea
14 years ago
3 posts
Don't you love that? I'm exactly the same - I don't feel the need to comment on anyone elses hair or style etc (unless of course I love it) but it bugs me when people feel they can do that to me. Especially hairdressers "You know you have to 'do' the roots, I can fix that for you, Aren't you going to fix that loose hair, blah blah blah." I eventually went to a salon to get them "fixed" when I had some major loops happening - all part of the natural process - but people freaked me out because I didn't know any better. Now I'm just letting them go free and I have a bit of loose hair too, I think it adds to the character - If you really don't like it you'll hav to incorporate it into the dread somehow, dare I suggest dread balling? don't kill me SE just a thought. Or they can eventually form their own little dreads. Either way I LOVE your locks and can't wait for mine to get as long as yours : )
Melanie2
@melanie2
14 years ago
99 posts
Phew..thank you everyone for replying, I knew I could rely on your support :D My hair is very dread resistant in it's natural state, which is why I used the back combing route in the first instance...SO this compounds the loose hair problem. I've tried everything to get the loose hairs to stay in, including a latch hook tool..but even before the next wash most have slithered their way back out. I've tried getting them to knot into a mini dread...that does'nt seem to work either. So I guess I will just have to put up with the dumb comments..aside from all that, when I don't have any loose hair, it tends to look kind of severe...so maybe the tendril look suits me? : )Thank you all again...HUGS!!
Melanie2
@melanie2
14 years ago
99 posts
I used to do alot with them, clockwise rubbing, loose hair tidying...until I met Soaring Eagle. Someone who has been dreading for over 18 years has to know what they are talking about, right? :D I think they would still look much the same now if I hadn't done any of that stuff. : ) Metalhead Fred said:
I think your dreads look pretty awesome. If they managed to look so good all on their own, I'd trust the loose hairs to sort themselves out eventually :o)
Try not to get too bothered about the negative comments people say. They're all gonna be proven wrong in the end!
Melanie2
@melanie2
14 years ago
99 posts
That's a beautiful way to look at it :D Chewin Change said:
loose hairs are pretty

i love the shimmer of loose hairs in the sun its beautiful
Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form