Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Alternative's to wax

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
13 years ago
29,640 posts
you can but why bother palm rollings useless aloes connditioning you should use nothing do nothing
wouldnt bother backcombing either

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1

updated by @soaring-eagle: 07/14/15 05:11:56AM
Lu A
@lu-a
13 years ago
66 posts

I didn't read through the entire thread because some comments I read were just too much, so this conversation may have ended already, and for that I apologize, but this is something I've been noticing a lot lately on this site so I'm just gonna add my two cents and then run away quickly before everyone flings hate at me.

First and foremost, I love this site and all the advice that people are willing to share about growing natural healthy dreads. But god DAMN sometimes the people on this site can be judgmental. And not just judgmental, but really rude and unfair about how they express their judgment. I'm obviously not going to call anyone out but a lot of people on this forum are guilty of it. Just like everyone's hair is different, everyone has different reasons for starting dreads and while I don't think dreads should be considered a fad hairstyle because of the time it takes for them to form and the fact that they are pretty permanent, but for some people they ARE just a hairstyle. People like me.

I don't put the context of spirtuality into my dreads because I'm not a spirtual person. I don't believe in God or an afterlife, or any of that kind of stuff, so how could I possibly place that kind of connotation on my hair. Am I letting them form naturally? yes. Do I plan on keeping them for years and years to come? yes. Do I fuck with them with things like crocheting and wax and shit? no. But not because my dreads are my connection to my soul or a representation of my lifestyle or something like that, but because I like them. That's it, I like them. I like the way they look. I like the fact that I don't have to put effort into my hair, because I am the laziest person you will ever meet. I like them as a HAIRSTYLE.

To me, it's just hair, and if I get sick of them one day, many many years from now I will chop them off and I won't cry about it because, once again, to me, it's just hair.

If someone wants to do extra stuff to their dreads to keep them neat or whatever, who are you to judge them? How unfair of you to impose your opinions on someone else. I don't do it because I actually like how crazy and out of control my hair looks. But before I had dreads I had a crazy and out of control afro, so I don't see big messy hair as a bad thing. Some people do. On the other hand I also recognize the advantages to looking neat and put together for school, work and social occasions. If someone wants to maintain their flyaways, why do you care? It's just hair and it's not even your hair.

Now I'm gonna go hide before someone calls me a heathen or something
Lee Anne
@lee-anne
12 years ago
2 posts

I realize this is an old post but Im thinking all of this judgemental stuff is why Im leaving this site.

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

your leaving cause we helped u clean up the wax in your dreads and helped u stop felting them?

well yoir welcome

--
Lone Lynx
@lone-lynx
12 years ago
1 posts

I was looking around on the net for help with a similar problem until I came here and saw this thread. I couldn't ignore the way some of you pretty much flamed the OP first, before any helpful info was posted. So I had to join up.

I mean, whats wrong with wanting to tame your dreads? I can understand where he's coming from cause I have a similar problem with keeping my hair tidy. I need to keep it neat for work, though I'd really prefer to have wild, crazy hair. But that just isn't possible for alot of people. And did anyone stop to think that maybe he NEEDS his job? What if jobs are scarce where he lives and he really has to hold onto his job? It may have come off the wrong way, but I could swear that the vibe I was getting as that you people are telling this guy he should pretty much quit his job if they don't understand the natural dreading process....WHAT? That's crazy.

There was just an air of superiority from you guys cause this guy wanted tamed dreads but I dont see anything wrong with that. I know a lot of people who've had their dreads for many years, who maintained them by palm rolling instead of letting them grow naturally (I cant say much about the other forms ofmaintenance like crocheting, etc) But I think its an insult to say that dreading naturally is better. If you say that it's better than using wax and harsh materials on your dreads then I agree. But in terms of palm rolling, I think its even more effective than natural dreading (once you don't twist in too much), providing that you use products that don't leave buildup....

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

i dont remember that i do remember 2 peope going =on page after page about natural dreads making ppl look like cavemen

and palm rollings not really effective since the effect dont last longand if you know your rights you cant get fired just cause your dreads are a lil frizzy

but if you do maintain them you give up that right and your only legal deffence

--

/ 5
Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form