Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Let's Talk about Pinch Rolling (?)

Iain
@iain
14 years ago
844 posts
In the past few months I've been doing this off an on, I've heard it been called as root wrapping/rolling, but about a month ago I saw a reference to it being called Pinch rolling,What it seems to be really good at doing is keeping your loose/stray hairs around the lock that it's closest to, (which in curly hair it seems to work really well in)what you do is put the loose hair you're trying to keep back near and around the root of the lock it's closest to, then take one of your hands and make a peace sign (or make it look like scissors w/e) and put that closely to the roots like so Step 1

step 2 then take your other hand and scissor over it like you did with the last one. then use your first hand to hold it in place and the other to move it in a clockwise direction for only a few seconds (which is all you should need)

your result may look something like this (not this example isn't the best since that one didn't have alot of loose hair but it gives you a good idea)

1 day later

a day later we can see it still has the potential to stay like that while not looking as twisted as it did the previous night.What this does is seemingly wrap the loose hairs around the individual lock and it tends to effectively stay there which makes it great to do before going into occasions where you'd like your hair to look as presentable as you desire without damaging your locks or using products. (although arguably with less of an effect)it may also promote the loose hairs at roots to join in with individual locks, though I can't say for sure if it's effective at this.Now what I'd like to know is if this works for any of you guys, (im still thinking that in straighter hair this might not work as well as with roots that are still not locked)constructive criticism and feedback is appreciative and helpful :)also a lady on this site had a really good youtube video about this but I 4got her exact name if anyone finds it.*edit* found her! here is her video which explains it far better than I could :)

updated by @iain: 02/14/15 08:05:56AM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts
dreadymawma?knottysomething?anywayi dont see a point i mean whats it do exactly make the roots look a tiny bit thinner then they should be? other then that i see no difference no benifits

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Iain
@iain
14 years ago
844 posts
yeah my example wasn't all that great of one, but it does seem to provide some benefit. especially as an alternative to palm rolling.
pixie
@pixie
14 years ago
144 posts
My friend who put my dreads in swears by this. Actually all dreadies I know around here swear by this... But honestly, why fuck with em. I've never done it, nor do I see myself doing it in the future. I don't think dreads need maintenance like this or palm rolling.
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts
why do u need an alternative to palm rolling? palm rolling is useless and this seems just as useless so a useless alternatives to a useless practice..again it seems to have no point or benifit the only thing it seems to do is temporarily squish the roots

--
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts
i gotta wonder if its causing the fuzziness of the 6 inches closes t to the rootsi think u should so a comparison over a long periods of time use just those 2 dreads leave 1 totaly alone and play around with the other and see over 4-6 months

--
Iain
@iain
14 years ago
844 posts
that's why I said it's good to temporarily keep your loose hair around the roots before you go somewhere such as a job interview or such, and unlike palm rolling it'll stay like that for awhile, and potentially help keep your roots loose hair together,personally I think this one practice has helped some of my roots regain thickness from months of separating.SE I know your against any tampering with your hair other than separation but this is just something you do with your hands and it doesn't screw up your locks in any way since there is no aggression in it.So to me it makes sense to do something like this be4 going into a interview or something similar even if it helps only slightly,that being said, what I'm really wondering is if this even has the same effect on other people's locks.
Iain
@iain
14 years ago
844 posts
I had actually wondered that same thing, but that was like that be4 I even knew what this was, in reality I think the reason that one looks like that is because it feels alot softer and flexible (and more like a true dreadlock than the smoother one (which in comparison feels much stiffer from all that wax I used in the past)but I was actually planning on doing just that to see what the long term effects of this might look like.
Iain
@iain
14 years ago
844 posts
lolyeah, I have a feeling the roots might have to be tighter before it would work. but it's fairly easy once you try it.
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts
im not convinced it "worked" in his hair either i mean i see no difference except a temporary pinched look i see no improvement that would affect an interview doesnt look neater or tidyer just looks squished

--
 / 2

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form