Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

question on ripping dreads *update*

Jackal
@jackal
14 years ago
132 posts
so i started with huge sections.. about 16 dreads total on my head. when we were sectioning we went for 2.75-3" sections. later on once i started noticing how thick they were going to be i started ripping the thickest ones, i didnt like how long it took them to dry (mold issues around here), plus my head really didnt look very full, i wanted more dreads! lol. every new dread i create by ripping makes me very happy. i have a few more with huge sections i would like to rip.I had a few questions. Is there a limit on how many you should rip at a time? i know when you rip one in half you should pretty much treat it like a brand new backcombed dread if i remember right. some of the ones left are the biggest sections, but smaller in diameter than some of the smaller sectioned ones. is that normal? im sure it is i havent worried about them much. also is there a "best" time to do it, such as still wet from a shower, after the hair has dried, before a shower, etc. also, anything special i should do to them after ripping? also, how many more baby dreads usually form from loose hair dreading itself, etc?i dunno just some random questions that popped into my head, im sorry if it wasnt very well written out. maybe one of you guys can help me out.
updated by @jackal: 01/13/15 08:41:29PM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts
3 inch sections? u realize those are like the size of your arm? damn just spend 1/2 hour looking for a particular picture af this dude with like 6 massive dreadsof well

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Jackal
@jackal
14 years ago
132 posts
here's one of the big ones: keep in mind i have decent sized arms.
NaturalWomyn
@naturalwomyn
14 years ago
849 posts
wow those are gonna be huge! how old are they? if they are pretty new you could try combing out some of the bigger ones and starting those over? If you don't mind then leave em alone, i guess. I personally think ripping when my hairs wet hurts less but it's all a matter of opinion, as are most of the answers to your Q's. You have to figure out what works for you cause we're all different. Everyone's hair is different texture,thickness etc. that will decide how many new dreads will form from loose hair. Your existing dreads will thicken up a lot most likely so keep that in mind when deciding on thickness now. Good Luck!
Jackal
@jackal
14 years ago
132 posts
update: ripped it into 3 dreads. as i was ripping it, before i was able to see through it to the other side, it literally was as thick as my arm! holy crap. also... if you notice how fucked up and stiff that dread looked compared to the other dreads on my head.... well i was scraping gobs of wax out from under my fingernails and off of my skin for 5 minutes after i finished ripping it.. i bought some acv and when i next wash (i use baking soda) im gonna do my first acv rinse. i actually took pictures of all the waxy shit that came out of it.. it was gross and black and sticky with the consistency of play dough smothered in honey. yuck... and it only seems to be around my roots, and a few inches down the dread. dont know if that tidbit of info will help anyone but ya never know.. check it out. i bet if i lit it on fire it would burn for an hour.
Jake Holland
@jake-holland
14 years ago
203 posts
GET THE WAX OUT, and dang that sucker is HUGE
Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form