Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Wax Disaster?

salsaanacampos
@salsaanacampos
14 years ago
1 posts
I have just found this website, done some browsing, and realized that everything I have been doing is completely wrong... but am not really sure of what to do instead....Here's my deal: put my dreads in last august with backcombing and wax. Twisted them up for the first month, and did backcombing/waxing mixed with dreadheadhq shampoo (alternating about once a week for each step). I have been told by others NO WAX as well. someone recommended crocheting... not really sure what this is, how its done, if its good or not. I haven't waxed in about three weeks but have washed my hair (still probably about once a week). After waxing or washing I also blow my hair dry. I would like to have a more clean look for my dreads, cause right now they are a frizzy mess at the roots, and hair sticking out all along, and I am about to start a new job. Anyways, point being any clear advice would be awesome! Oh, and I do have this one dread in the back that is like two dreads at the root but comes together to be one dread and can't get it to stay together. (sort of looks like the letter Y)Also if I shouldn't wash with dreadheadhq, what should I use and how often?I really do love my dreads, but recently have thought about cutting them because i dont know how to best maintain them and get such mixed reviews from people about methods. This is way long, sorry and thanks to all who read/respond!peace!
updated by @salsaanacampos: 01/13/15 08:40:08PM
Faelwynn
@faelwynn
14 years ago
362 posts
My advice would be to get the wax out first. Wash with dish soap ( or if you're in the UK, washing up liquid) a couple of times, or do a deep clean ( for the life of me I can't find the thread...) and then just leave those babies be. I know it's tough, but nice looking dreads only come with time, not maintenance. All you're doing by maintaining them is putzing with and slowing down the dreading process... it's actually counter productive to what you're wanting!As far as the Y shaped dread is concerned you have two options:1) Slap a bead on it and hope for the bestor2) (now this is on my experience only, and most will not recommend it. I only do this when it seems as if my scalp is just correcting sectioning, not over a little loose split) You can cut one side of the split free from the other, but you'll have to wait for both sides of the split to mature enough that they could handle the cut without falling to bits. If you don't see two definite dreads forming from that split, then I'd go back to option 1.When it comes to washing I use mixed methods. Personally, I'd cut out all SLS (sodium lauryl sulfate) and SLES (sodium laureth sulfate) from your hair care regimen; it's not doing you any favors, and in the long run can cause severe hair damage and various forms of bodily harm as well as cancer. Next step is to buy baking soda and apple cider vinegar; these two items are your best friends in the dreading process. Mix a tablespoon of baking soda to a cup of water (using that ratio you can increase the batch size as needed), and in a separate cup, do the same with the acv (if you need extra conditioning you can double the ratio here...) you can always mix more or less depending on your personal needs. While in the shower, splash the baking soda and water mixture on your head, scrub it around a bit (I know it's strange as it doesn't foam or lather) wait about ten minutes (I just do whatever else I need to in the shower) and then rinse with water. Then splash on the acv and water mix, leave it on for two minutes or so, then rinse with water again. As another alternative, look up Maylee's Garden Soaps either here, or on etsy.com. They're packed with awesome essential oils, are SLS and SLES free, and are really moisturizing. I usually prime my bs/acv wash with her bars for a nice touch of scent in my hair and for the added moisture. Neither the bs/acv wash or her bars have any residue, and that's something else that'll help you dread faster, and easier.Now to talk about frequency of washing. Personally, I started washing every other day, and am now down to every 5 days. Most people tend to recommend once a week, but you need to work up to it. Say for the first week of the transition, wash as you usually do. Then the next week, place one more day between washings. A week after that, two more days between washings and so on until you're satisfied with the frequency. It's really all a matter of personal preference, just remember to let your dreads dry completely between washings. It typically takes mine 6-10 hours at night, or 4-6 hours during the day to dry. All depends on the weather.Don't cut away, not unless you really want to. Everyone here is more than happy to answer any questions you may have, so stick with it for a bit. You haven't made any mistakes that could force you to cut, they're all very fix-able.
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts
so wekll you do not want to crochet u want to get every trace of wax out u can thats not easy to do but when u do they will dread 3 times faster with no work neededtie em back for work thats all u need to dothe wax is evil crap but cro9chet is no good either best thing to do is just keep em clean and leave em alone to dread

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
❂•Paula•❂
@opaulao
14 years ago
751 posts
Like the other say, no wax no crochet, patience is your friend :)To remove the wax you could dip the dreads in really hot water(near boiling) and then carefully squeeze the dread like a tube of toothpaste, it will be hot so wear gloves and be extreemly careful. after this wash with dish soap(like dawn) and scrub real good.It's a shame that they got to you first, but it's definitely fixable :)There's alink to wax removal on the main page too
Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form