Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

washing your dreds

cassie gabriel
@cassie-gabriel
14 years ago
80 posts
so ive almost had my dreds for a week now so i need to wash them for the first time! ive heard so many different ways, but i wanna know what you guys think. ive heard u need to wash the roots every 4 days, and actually wash your locks 2 a month. and about the shampoo, i heard u need to fill it up with half of water then the rest shampoo, or use just like body soap. i wanna be prepared and know how to do them, so can you guys give me some advice and what you do?
updated by @cassie-gabriel: 02/14/15 11:20:14AM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts
ok who told u that?so to start offu want to use only 1 of the following.. non residue natural soap/shampoodr bronners diluted 12 times more water then soapbaking sodasoaps method scrub scalp rinse thru dreadsthat simplebaking soda mix 1 tablespoon per cup of water ad herbal oils to treat conditionspour over head no scrubbing just let soak 10 minrinseu sac then follow with vinagar rinse 1 tablespoon per cupwait 3 min then rinse well

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
❂•Paula•❂
@opaulao
14 years ago
751 posts
well I(and lots others here) use a home made "shampoo" of mostly baking soda. http://www.dreadlockssite.com/forum/topics/super-clean-dreads-safe-... I made my own recipe cus this is way too much for my hair..but it's basically the same.. just less2-3 cups of water1-1.5 tbsp baking soda2-3 drops of tea tree oil(if you've got it it's really good for your scalp!)I por this on my wet hair, let sit for 10 minutes, then rinse.then the apple cider vinegar rinse1tbsp for a big jug full of wateror 1 tsp for the 2-3 cupsleave for 3-5 mins then rinse.No scrubbing so it wont unravel babies too much :)and no schedule needed. Just wash when they feel dirty . 1-3 times a week ideally.
cassie gabriel
@cassie-gabriel
14 years ago
80 posts
so either choose the soap method, or the baking soda&vinigar method? soaringeagle said:
ok who told u that?
so to start off

u want to use only 1 of the following.. non residue natural soap/shampoo
dr bronners diluted 12 times more water then soap
baking soda

soaps method scrub scalp rinse thru dreads
that simple

baking soda mix 1 tablespoon per cup of water ad herbal oils to treat conditions
pour over head no scrubbing just let soak 10 min
rinse
u sac then follow with vinagar rinse 1 tablespoon per cup
wait 3 min then rinse well
Westcoaster
@westcoaster
14 years ago
81 posts
I was wondering the same thing so thank you for asking :-)If you have a local organic shop they will be able to show you a few options for non-residue, environmentally friendly shampoo/body wash bars.If you don't, there is a bar that I saw someone mentioning in a different discussion that you can get at Save-On-Foods. Mountain something? SE do you know what it is called? In the same area you can get the bar you can get a number of essential oils. I suppose this only applies to you if you live in Canada (maybe US?) though.The baking soda option is nice because you can choose your scent :-)
cassie gabriel
@cassie-gabriel
14 years ago
80 posts
that sounds alot moe safer lol.and for the apple sider vinigar rinse, do u just buy that anywhere? and then just mix it in with the water? OPaulaO said:
well I(and lots others here) use a home made "shampoo" of mostly baking soda.
http://www.dreadlockssite.com/forum/topics/super-clean-dreads-safe-...

I made my own recipe cus this is way too much for my hair..but it's basically the same.. just less
2-3 cups of water
1-1.5 tbsp baking soda
2-3 drops of tea tree oil(if you've got it it's really good for your scalp!)

I por this on my wet hair, let sit for 10 minutes, then rinse.
then the apple cider vinegar rinse
1tbsp for a big jug full of water
or 1 tsp for the 2-3 cups

leave for 3-5 mins then rinse.

No scrubbing so it wont unravel babies too much :)
❂•Paula•❂
@opaulao
14 years ago
751 posts
You could choose whichever you prefer. The sudsy soad, or the soak. Or you could chose to do one and every once in a while do the other. But those are the safest options.The only non residue soap I know of(That's not marketed specifically to dreadheads) is Dr Bronners. You could choose the liquid(Must Dilute) or the bar.
cassie gabriel
@cassie-gabriel
14 years ago
80 posts
this is alot to take in lol. the save-at-foods is proly just in canada, but i could look up near locations, but the bakingsoda one does sound alot better, cuz it wont unravel my dreds as much, sinse their just babies lol Westcoaster said:
I was wondering the same thing so thank you for asking :-)

If you have a local organic shop they will be able to show you a few options for non-residue, environmentally friendly shampoo/body wash bars.

If you don't, there is a bar that I saw someone mentioning in a different discussion that you can get at Save-On-Foods. Mountain something? SE do you know what it is called? In the same area you can get the bar you can get a number of essential oils. I suppose this only applies to you if you live in Canada (maybe US?) though.

The baking soda option is nice because you can choose your scent :-)
❂•Paula•❂
@opaulao
14 years ago
751 posts
Yeah apple cider vinegar is in pretty much any grocery store, and so is baking soda. cassie gabriel said:
that sounds alot moe safer lol.
and for the apple sider vinigar rinse, do u just buy that anywhere? and then just mix it in with the water?
cassie gabriel
@cassie-gabriel
14 years ago
80 posts
lolokay thanks you guys OPaulaO said:
You could choose whichever you prefer. The sudsy soad, or the soak. Or you could chose to do one and every once in a while do the other. But those are the safest options.

The only non residue soap I know of(That's not marketed specifically to dreadheads) is Dr Bronners. You could choose the liquid(Must Dilute) or the bar.
 / 3

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form