Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Baking Soda&Dr. Bronners

GreyGargoyle
@greygargoyle
14 years ago
569 posts
My experience with Dr. B's AND baking soda is kind of frustrating. On one hand Dr. Bronners is helping my hair get really knotty but it feels sticky when my hair is wet and once my hair dries it stays hard like I have gel in my hair...so annoying. Eventually after sleeping the hardness goes away and my hair feels soft again...I don't get it. (Alright Yoshi, no perverted jokes, haha.) The baking soda on the other hand keeps my hair feeling super light and clean but it seems to make my hair want to stay straight?...what the hell, I don't even have straight hair, lol. But it's really weird because sometimes the baking soda won't get the Dr. Bronners sticky feeling out of my hair. I dumped a quater of a pound of baking soda on my head to get that crap out tonight and I still have a clump of hair that is slightly sticky. Anyways...I think I am going to try gathering up some snow, melting it and then using that water to wash my hair...maybe the Dr. Bronners will rinse out with it...I hope. If not then I'm going to be stuck with using only baking soda...Just posting this in case someone else has similar problems.If you have any advice then let me know about it. Thanks for reading.
updated by @greygargoyle: 01/13/15 08:35:20PM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts
are u doing the acv rince that tends to make your hair super soft skipping that may helpdr b needs to be diluted a ton and that dont even work in some warter so a detergents better adding borax will help but u can switch to a non castile soap (detergent)the baking soda is typicaly used as an occassional deep cleanse not an everryday but i love how cleawn i get so onluy use it but my dreasds are mature too u might wanna use it just now and then and find a soap u like for everydayits ogdd when i used too much olive oil conditioning i felt that oiliness so i did a bronners wash to remove it..and if i ever feel a slight oily stickiness i add a squitrt to me baking sodai even used to use it undiluted and never had any probs i have more probs from oils building up in the pitcher i use to do the bakingsoda and have to put it through the dishwasher now and then to prevent that from making me oily just from that buildup(tyopicaly asfter ui do olive ot neem oil)just find something u like and use baking soda for an ocasional super clean

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
GreyGargoyle
@greygargoyle
14 years ago
569 posts
I've used like 10-12 drops in a gallon of water...still get's my hair all sticky.Do you guy's think beer will work? I don't have anything else to wash with and I want my hair to be clean already...I've probably over washed it this week though. =(
GreyGargoyle
@greygargoyle
14 years ago
569 posts
I was going to try flat beer but I guess they got rid of it cause they couldn't get it to fermentate. I told them that I could but they don't listen to crap that I say. Haha. Whatever. I dumped half a pound of baking soda in my hair and I still have some residue in it...it's ridiculous. I'm not using Dr. Bronners anymore, it's gotten too bad. I'd rather have clean hair than have my hair knotty but sticky. =( Sux...I'm going to quit washing so much. Only when my head starts to really itch for now on.We'll see how that goes...
GreyGargoyle
@greygargoyle
14 years ago
569 posts
Yeah, I tried. It was nice and got my hair really clean and shiny but I've read that it conditions your hair and so I've only been doing it twice a month since then. Sister Rags said:
Geez, it sux about the Dr. B's, but I bet it really does have to do with the type of water you have where you live. I had a couple of weeks of over-washing a while back and that does seem to be a problem, whether dreads or regular hair. I went back to washing only when my head itches & that's working out much better.

I'm sorry if this is a repeat question, but did you try the acv rinse? I thought you had said something about it, but can't recall what it was.
GreyGargoyle
@greygargoyle
14 years ago
569 posts
I've decided that I'm just going to do the baking soda wash once a week and the acv rinse once every two weeks but every night that I work out I am going to rinse with water. This week with my hair was pretty frustrating but at least I know what to do now...or I hope that I have it figured out at least...haha. I can't wait till I can wash it again, I want to get the last bit of residue out of my hair. It seems like there is NONE left but I know better, there is still some there, I can feel it when I touch certain parts of my hair, it's annoying me...
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts
something like nutragena daily clarifying wi;l remove the buildupu should only need to use it once to get rid of it

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Lindsay3
@lindsay3
14 years ago
32 posts
I also dilute my dr bronners with a LOT of water and do not have the sticky feeling. :) Sister Rags said:
It seems like my hair reacts differently than almost everyone else's; I don't know what that's all about, except that it's kind of annoying to me.

Even so, I'll respond to your queries, Grey. I find Dr. B's works best for encouraging locking. I don;t notice that it leaves a residue on my hair...maybe because I do dilute it with A LOT of water...???

I like the baking soda/acv; I have, however, found that the baking soda tends to soften and straighten my hair. What I'm really confused about is the acv. I love using the stuff as a rinse, but others seem to find it conditioning. When I use acv, it seems to make my hair dry, not conditioned....acts like an astringent on my hair. In fact, I've been putting a few drops of hemp oil (or olive oil) into the acv rinse (and a lot of water) to soften my hair some.

I'm sorry because I don't think my info here is very helpful, but I guess I can back up your observance that baking soda does seem to soften my hair.
Freehead
@freehead
13 years ago
19 posts

With bs it gets the stuff off myscalp but then the stuf gets stuck in my hair so clean scalp but about half to a cm down bits of stuff that wont wash out!Tryd leaving it longer and shorter times, sometimes worse than others and doesnt seem to depend on how time left it on. Anyone have this problem?

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form