Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

how to wash with baking soda?.................NO OILS!!!

LowRyderMan
@lowryderman
14 years ago
88 posts

I've been having NO luck with washing my hair. I've been using Dr. Bronners Liquid tea tree oil. I diluted and it left oil behind so I tried mixing in some borax and still no help. I've heard baking soda really helps and I want to try it.

So I need to know.

How much water do I use?

How much baking soda?

then what? do I just pour it over my hair then wash it out or what do I do?

Someone please help I'm worried that if I can't get the oil thats stuck in my hair out. I'm gonna get mold inside of my dreads.

I don't want to use any oils with it because, there's a fucking ton of oil in my hair now and no matter what I can't get it out.

updated by @lowryderman: 02/14/15 07:36:27AM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts
1/3-3/4 cup to a gallon of waterpour it over yiour head let it soak a good while 10 min ot morethen put a lil vinager in water pour that on it reacts with the bs wait a few minutes rinse out very well if u still feel oily (u shouldnht) try a secinf stronger vinagar rinseim sure that will do u good

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts
add some sea salt if u can

--
LowRyderMan
@lowryderman
14 years ago
88 posts
Will it still be effective if I don't use vinegar? I don't really like the idea of putting vinegar in my hair, plus I don't think i have any.
j.boy
@jboy
14 years ago
47 posts
every ones thought box is difrnt bro...the trick is u need to find wut works for you...the vinegar is to restore a natural ph balance on your dome...to help with dryness or itching...in your case with all the oil risidue you may not need it...try the soda by itself, and see wut happens...on a side not..ive found people using every thing from herbs to essetial oils in ther washes..to some that just use plain ol h2o...its wut ever floats your boat..good luck..onelove
LowRyderMan
@lowryderman
14 years ago
88 posts
I tried it and it worked GREAT. Thanks 2 everyone who replied.
j.boy
@jboy
14 years ago
47 posts
ive found that i have to use a little more acv..usualy about 1 or 2 shot glasses worth per gallon..any less than that...and im itching.. Victoria said:
Okay. I'm glad the baking soda worked out well for you but here is some advice I have learned from personal experience and figured out from all of the chemistry classes I've taken.
When you use the baking soda wash, you should also use the vinegar rinse to restore the natural pH balance of your hair.
Baking soda is a base, so you don't really want to leave any of it in your hair. You will end up getting dandruff very soon after as the base reacts with and irritates your scalp.
Vinegar is an acid so it will react with and remove any residual base left in your hair. That's why you only need like a capful or two in an entire gallon of water. Your hair won't smell like vinegar after (I promise!) and your scalp with thank you.
Hope this helps!
Joshua O'Connor
@joshua-oconnor
14 years ago
32 posts
i use baking soda for washing my dreads but instead of acv i use cencentrate lemon juice,, this do the same sorta thing?
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts
yup its an acid that reacts with the base restoring ph ballancealtho if u use lemmon with heat or direct sunlight it will slowly gradualy bleach your hairalso make sure theres no added sugar or anything

--
Ryan Emmel
@ryan-emmel
14 years ago
85 posts
I almost never use an ACV rinse, but I use a baking soda rinse 2-3 times a week. I don't have an itchy scalp or dandruff. I don't think it's necessary as long as you rinse. A water rinse will balance out the PH. Eye rinse stations and emergency showers run water in chemistry labs. Water works. It's also a chemically a very weak acid.The reaction is not necessary. The acid wash helps get your hair clean. The minor foaming action might help lift dirt, oils, and dead skin. But it's not necessary as long as you rinse well.
 / 2

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form