Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

How much time do you spend separating your dreads?

Ef
@ef
5 years ago
2 posts

Hi there!
I just started this journey less than a month ago. I got one backcombed dread and decided it wasn't for me, so I switched my Lush shampoo for the Faith In Nature residue-free one, and stopped combing the lower half of my hair to get partial dreadlocks.
One of my reasons for dreading is because I got tired of the amount of time spent brushing my hair as it became longer – it really felt like my hair just wanted to knot. However, now I'm finding that I'm spending at least 15 to 30 minutes separating my dreads every day. They really like to get together in big, difficult to separate congos, even if I just leave them for a couple of days. I'm kind of wondering if this is normal, or if I'm doing something wrong... and if I'm not doing anything wrong, is it going to get better as the dreads mature?
Thanks!

updated by @ef: 07/11/19 11:59:54AM
Peaceful_Passer
@peaceful-passer
5 years ago
233 posts
Totally normal. As they advance you'll have less need to separate. I separated daily for the first 2 months, now every few days, when my locks matured it was every few weeks/ once a month/ as needed. The beginning stages take the most care because the hairs are still so loose and wild
Bazooka Guru
@bazooka-guru
5 years ago
204 posts
I separate twice a week (after washes) and it takes me probably between 30 minutes and an hour. I usually watch tv while i do it, lol.
Ef
@ef
5 years ago
2 posts

Thanks for your responses! It's a bit of a relief to know that.

Duskwood
@duskwood
5 years ago
45 posts

I'm starting to worry since I haven't had to separate at all :D maybe my hair is too soft or something, I was having a conversation with someone and told them I hadn't brushed my hair in 4 months, they were surprised because my hair looks very 'normal' but when they don't brush for just one day their hair is a mess.

It's not that I'm bothered by it or anythin, but I do wonder, will I ever form locks in my hair?

Peaceful_Passer
@peaceful-passer
5 years ago
233 posts
Maybe it would help them if you did section them? Just what's naturally happening but not keeping it all in connection with itself, it that makes any sense?

Do you condition it?
Duskwood
@duskwood
5 years ago
45 posts

Was that question for me, @peaceful-passer ? If it was; no, I don't condition my hair. I just wash it with Vicki's shampoo every few days and sometimes I take a bath or go swimming. I'm often very active and don't usually tie my hair so when I'm outside it flies all over the place :D I figure it's separating naturally this way. But I'll admit to being a bit impatient to see 'results' of some kind.

Peaceful_Passer
@peaceful-passer
5 years ago
233 posts
Yes that was for you duskwood. I can't help but think maybe you'd be seeing locks if you were to separate sections, not forcing, but allowing pieces to form instead of 1 mass.

Either way, enjoy your journey and who cares what anyone thinks if you're happy!!
Duskwood
@duskwood
5 years ago
45 posts

Oh you seem to have misunderstood. I have no need for separating because nothing is sticking together yet. There's plenty of tangles, I often hurt myself on accident when my fingers get stuck when I'm getting dressed or something, but for the most part it seems to all be quite separate still. So there's not one mass, not at all :P In fact, people don't seem to believe me when I tell them I haven't brushed my hair in over 4 months.

Peaceful_Passer
@peaceful-passer
5 years ago
233 posts
Oooh. I suppose i did misunderstand! Goodness, 2 hours after brushing i had dreads forming in the back! You're blessed with fine and silky hair!

Im sure at this point it's not feeling like a blessing, but your hair is it's own, love it, it's all yours! <3
Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form