dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

waxy strands of hair

Inyan Birkenblut
@inyan-birkenblut
5 years ago
10 posts

Hello!
I hope that this is the right thread to ask this question...
So I know there have been some discussions about this topic already, but I cannot find a solution to my exact problem.
I have been leaving my hair alone (stopped combing it and also stopped going through it with my fingers) for about 1 or 2 month now and I have had some good strands of hair already.
Ive mostly washed it with Dr. Bronners Liquid Soap, I have this kind of sponge with which I foamed the soap before I put it on my head.
The problem I have now is that my hair feels really weird, kind of sticky and waxy. It doenst look too bad, not really oily like in the first week, but it still looks and feels kinda gross... I just pulled apart one strand of hair and kind of scraped it with my finger nails and I found some white, sticky/waxy substance (probably residue? it smelled like soap...). 
And now I dont really know what to do. Of course I want clean hair, not only because the hair will not dread if its oily/waxy/gross, but also because I feel disgusting when my hair is not clean. I do love messy hair and I think my natural curly hair looks good when its not combed, but I feel very uncomfortable when I know that there is stuff in my hair.

Would it help to wash it with apple vinegar and let that sit? (If so, what would be a good Water-Vinegar-Ratio? How long would I have to let it in before wasing it out?) The water hardness in my town is at 9,7 °dH, if that is from importance...
Right now I cannot afford to buy the good Dreadlock-Shampoo from dreadlockshampoo.com, so I need (at least for the next few weeks) a different solution.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Darkestwilow
@darkestwilow
5 years ago
9 posts

idk if i can be a whole lot of help but i keep seeing that you are supposed to dilute dctr bronners 1 to 12 with water

FemalePheromones
@femalepheromones
5 years ago
414 posts
From what I rememeber Dr Bronner's shouldn't be used with hard water so that's probably your problem.

Just switch shampoos and you'll probably be fine.

--
I'm on Twitter @FemalePheromone
and Instagram @FemalePheromones
Inyan Birkenblut
@inyan-birkenblut
5 years ago
10 posts

FemalePheromones: From what I rememeber Dr Bronner's shouldn't be used with hard water so that's probably your problem. Just switch shampoos and you'll probably be fine.

Thanks, yeah that might be it...
This morning I washed them again with another soap, but it only made things worse... Now I got hard strands of hair, theres definitly residue of the soap inside... I think that I'll just have to wash them really thoroughly to get the stuff out. that will probably hinder the dreading process, but then again build up and residue will too...

I'm probably just too scared to do something wrong and overthinking this, but what would you recommend to get the stuff out of the hair? Wash it with a normal shampoo, or just water (hot, or cold? probably hot because the soap will dissolve better in hot water...) or apple vinegar, etc.?
Thank you for your help

updated by @inyan-birkenblut: 03/29/19 09:07:33AM
Darkestwilow
@darkestwilow
5 years ago
9 posts

look up a video on deep cleaning ive seen that baking soda and water are good for that but different people like different things

Inyan Birkenblut
@inyan-birkenblut
5 years ago
10 posts

Darkestwilow:

idk if i can be a whole lot of help but i keep seeing that you are supposed to dilute dctr bronners 1 to 12 with water

Thanks, I did that and I think it went a little better than the times before, where I just used the soap in its pure form... But I still have the problems, its probably really the hardness of the water... Its classified as "middle" (8,4-14 ºdH, while hard would be 14+ ºdH and soft would be everythiing below 8,4 ºdH ) but it may be still too hard for the Dr. Bronners soap...

FemalePheromones
@femalepheromones
5 years ago
414 posts
Best bet is to get saving and order some shampoo from www.dreaocksshampoo.com and also get the knot rot stuff to clean out the gunk.

--
I'm on Twitter @FemalePheromone
and Instagram @FemalePheromones
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
5 years ago
29,640 posts

DO NOT DO THE BAKING SODA DEEP CLEANS

i can't recommend these highly enough www.dreadlockshampoo.com liquid for young (non african) dreads bars for mature and african any stage

they are made spedcificly for hard water

theres a deep cleanse called detox THATS SAFE unlike the baking soda that absolutely destroys your hair

the detox is special request  for now  just ask for a substitution although should not need it  the shampoo should solve the problem and accelerate dreading (by alot sometimes many notice a difference after the 1st wash)

if you still feel it after switching theres a simple solution, buy a couple gallons of distilled water..or  distill it yourself, or get an inline or in showerhead filter ..or filter a couple gallons of water through a britta or other filter.. then rinse with that

once the undisolved solids that make water hard are removed  the bronners should rinse right out

but..like i said i do believe just switching will solve it

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
5 years ago
29,640 posts

rot knots not for gunk its for funk ..as in mold and mildew

wax b gones for wax buildup  the charcoal rdetox though super cleans  and seems to even remove lint

but definately NO BAKING SODA

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Inyan Birkenblut
@inyan-birkenblut
5 years ago
10 posts

Thank you all for your help!
Really glad I found this forum :)

I will save up some money and then buy some dreadlock shampoo, it really seems worth it...

updated by @inyan-birkenblut: 03/30/19 03:13:02AM
Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form