Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Using less water to wash dreads

Hunter.Crow
@huntercrow
6 years ago
29 posts

Hello all. I need to know if there are any good ways to wash dreads while conserving water. I live in an RV in rural north Arizona, and we have to haul water to our property which takes time and an inordinate amount of money. Therefore, I have to conserve every gallon of water meticulously. Also, my hot water only last five minutes at the most, and that's if you turn the hot water down so it's lukewarm, otherwise the water is painfully cold. I also turn the water off while scrubbing my scalp to conserve warm water. Can anyone think of how I might be able to wash my hair and rinse it completely using as little water as possible?

In fact, if anyone could just tell me, step by step, how they wash their dreads, it could help me out. I read somewhere that soaking dreads all the way through makes the shampoo not penetrate as well, that you only soak them to rinse. Any truth to that? 

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
6 years ago
29,639 posts

i get mine wet as possible  before shampooing  i rinse the most what i would do bucket of water 5 gallons stick head in swish around soak well  shampooo well stick head in that bucket swish around well working it out of the roots ten pour it ver your head. reapeat the swish and pour with a 2nd bucket

alternately add the shampoo to bucket 1 and do the same but i think the 1st option might work best

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Hunter.Crow
@huntercrow
6 years ago
29 posts

This is basically what I was thinking, so I'll give that first option a try. I'm snowed in for probably the next week or so, so I've gotta be super careful not to run the well dry or I'll be having to melt snow lol.

Thank you so much, Soaring Eagle. This site, this community, and your advice has been more valuable than gold to me. Who better to learn about dreadlocks than someone with locs that have been around almost as long as I've been alive? And your length is like two of me standing on top of each other lol. Glad to finally have found info I trust based on the most gentle and natural methods possible. 

What I've learned here is that if you love your locs, they will love you back.

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
6 years ago
29,639 posts

very true and i have melted snow to wash my hair before

outside in 12 degree weather..not fun

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form