Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Dying a few Blonde?!?!?! : (

Matthew Breen
@matthew-breen
15 years ago
17 posts
well today for like 4 hours I wanted to have a few of my dreads blonde so I took lemon juice and i dipped my dread in it and soaked it, blow dryed it forever nothing happend.resoaked my dread sat in the hot sun and nothing happened, soaked it again nothign happend, then after about an hour of absolutely no change i tryed a smaller dread with peroxide and blow dryed it forever nothing happend, resoaked it and did the thing in the sun and nothing happened. are my dreads not allowed to change colors anyone know a cheap easy way i could go about doing this, dont have alot of money because i am just a kid and no job lol.
updated by @matthew-breen: 02/14/15 04:45:03AM
Spider Feet
@spider-feet
15 years ago
458 posts
It's definitely not good for your dreads but you can get the stuff to bleach your hair at sallys(or whatever hair product place you have there) for about 6 bucks the kits should be between $10-15. I recommend just getting the blue or violet powder bleach and the cream developer. If you are really cheap you can go into a 7-11 and ask them if you can have a pair of their plastic gloves they use for hotdog items =pBut like I said, really bad for your hair, if you palm roll at all there is a good chance they can break off after a few years.
Matthew Breen
@matthew-breen
15 years ago
17 posts
:0 break off , thats a bit scary .. i dont want to take my chances, wait couldn't i just use conditioner and it would soften up?
Spider Feet
@spider-feet
15 years ago
458 posts
It would help, but bleach doesn't just dry hair out it also destroys the structure of the hair strand.
Kath
@kath
15 years ago
73 posts
I have to agree with puppy on this one. Best not to bleach dreads. Sucks though because i have naturally really dark hair and i love being blonde but I cant take the risk of having bleach stuck right in the middle of the dread eating it from the inside out.
Spider Feet
@spider-feet
15 years ago
458 posts
I used to bleach and use a chemical relaxer, that could be why my hair locked up so fast just by not brushing. So many hair strands just breaking off and getting tangled. =/ I may bleach a couple dreads of mine in the future myself but if you want to then just understand the drawbacks first.
Matthew Breen
@matthew-breen
15 years ago
17 posts
man i thought this was going to be like one of those cakewalk things : (
Alden
@alden
15 years ago
303 posts
LOL, I used to try both of those methods for bleaching my hair before it was dreaded, the lemon juice will work, but it's something that needs applied multiple times a day and it'll be direct sun light that reacts with the lemon juice to lighten your hair. However, your hair may be too dark to get any real change that way.If you're thinking of using store bought bleach - this is old trick that may or may not be completely accurate, but in general it seems to be spot on. Pull a hair from your dome and drop it in a glass of purified water. If it sinks then you can deduce that your hair is too damaged to mess with it any further, as the little scales on each strand of hair are popped up and broken enough to be taking on water. But if it floats I'd say give it a try, your hair is healthy, and could probably withstand the abuse, but still you should be careful.There are specific rules for dyeing dreads, things that you can do to ensure safety, I honestly can't think of where I read it, but I know there's a link on some page I frequent...I can't find it now that I need it (of course), but whatever, keep us posted on what you do and how it works out for you!!
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
15 years ago
29,639 posts
umm that floating thing wont work unless u pluck individual hairs as dreads hold in millions of tiny bubbles so all dreads float wether dammaged or notyou can spend alotta time squeezing out bubbles and acheive a nutral boyancy at best (experimented in a pool for an hour fascinated by just how many bubbles each dread held)

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Alden
@alden
15 years ago
303 posts
Oh yeah, it has to be a single hair. But I didn't thin about the fact that dreads hold very old hair along with new growth, so I'd pull a few hairs from different areas of your head if you try that trick. And it must be purified water, not tap, cuz tap and well have minerals in them that can grab the single strands of hair and pull them down, so you won't get an accurate idea.
 / 2

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form