Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

About using oils on your dreads

SpookeDread
@spookedread
6 years ago
27 posts

My hair gets too dry and i don't think it helps in the process. i thought i'd get a carrying oil and put in some drops of essential oils, then apply it carefully on my dreadlocks. So does it have to be done everyday or is it fine to just do it once in between 2 showers? 

updated by @spookedread: 02/06/18 07:30:00AM
SpookeDread
@spookedread
6 years ago
27 posts

good idea, i got a spray but i only mixed with water, i don't think it s as effective. should ve known oils can be sprayed ty for the advice. 

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
6 years ago
29,640 posts

i dump a gallon of water with a lil jojobsa and/or argon and/or aloe over my head after washing (only when real dry) wait 3 min then 1/2 rinse it through  just enough to not feel it anymore but still leave a lil in to keep it well moisturized.. dont need to do it often

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
SpookeDread
@spookedread
6 years ago
27 posts

sounds good, though i don't think i ll need a full gallon. seems better to that during summer when it s nice and warm, ty SE

RayneMama
@raynemama
6 years ago
44 posts
My locks are. 1.5 years, I use dolly locks conditioning oil. Before I got that I would wet my hands and drip a few drops of EO and rub it all over my ends.
SpookeDread
@spookedread
6 years ago
27 posts

yeah i did same with water but it s not effective, i d spray water mixed with a few drops beforehand but i'd feel that my hair is still easy to break and hard to separate. it s cuz of my afro textured hair, it doesn't get wet unless you pour a lot of / sink it in water. i ll check on dollylocks to see what they got

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
6 years ago
29,640 posts

www.dreadlockshampoo.com makes an amazing conditioner, it just works too well for me to use often at all

i use alotta water cause i got alotta dreads

so i use a big pitcher .. because i got like 9 foot dreads i put in almost 1/2 teaspoon of mixed oils or whatever often less but thats a max..

well no.. aloe i'll put in maybe 1/8th of a cup even

youd use no more then like 1/10th that max..probly less

--
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
6 years ago
29,640 posts

-if dreadlockshampoo conditioner dont work for you africas best hair oil might i find it way too heavy for me but folr you it just might do

because everything dreadlockshamooo makes is beer based it should be nourishing from its primary ingredient (instead of water in all others) 

the conditioner works so well i just found with my length of dreads it took a lot of rinsing

maybe used too much..  but it worked amazingly well.

i'll try it again this next wash  just cause scalps been winter dry . and dreads feel like they could benifit

--
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
6 years ago
29,640 posts

well when you separate it breaks between them. but its weaker and more elastic when wet, so stretches more but breaks easier, the combo means you feel it less..  its way easier. 

--
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
6 years ago
29,640 posts

well the oils dont travel down it it gets so dry and brittle so easily. yoiur often told not to wash for months but washing more often (with something natural and healthy) daily or every few days you might not even need oils

have you ever watched adelle wellingtons  vids  she wrote the book on natural dreads (literally) shes a member here.  shes sooo beautiful and bubbly i adore her personality. she washes her dreads daily, never needs oils or anything

many members here with African hair find the more, not less, they wash the less they need to add heavy oils and greases and gunks.

you might need them on occasion as most everyone does. but not  so much a every wash thing..

try washing twice a week at least  and reduce the oils maybe in a couple weeks try going without .. chances are you'll find after awhile you'll only need them  every month or 2

--
 / 2

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form