Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Unraveling roots

lockedup
@lockedup
7 years ago
9 posts
Hello everyone, short story. my brothers have both been been locked for 9 years or so, i was the only one left because of the "ugly stage" and my job. I needed someothing I can put up in a bun.
I wen to loctitian and she started off with plats all over my head and then wrapped it with afro human hair. They look incredible. The only issue is that the twists close to the root unravelled because of me putting it up every day. I didn't want a style to hold the twist into place. Now they are all just unraveled at the roots with my locks in a bun. They look awesome but if I let them be unraveled will they lock? I want to eventually have my own locks. I have loose curls/latino frizzy type hair.
Thanks!
updated by @lockedup: 01/22/20 09:33:16AM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
7 years ago
29,640 posts

well your 1st mist6ake is trusting a loctician! worse mistake you can make

next having tnem up all day will prevent them from locking or at least drasticly slow things

the reason the loctiician added hair is because the plan ahead for the balding they will cause.. prople who never let a loctician touch them never have to add hair

now the roots are supposed to be loose ..way looser then locticians force them to be (that's why 95% or higher that go to locticians get traction alopecia (well those stats apply specificly to African Americans who retwist or interlock)

but all dreads have loose roots if healthy, especially in the 1st 9 months! the roots tighten themselves and should never be tightened by force

over tight roots cause tension, another word for that is traction, traction that causes a specific type of balding traction alopecia the tension destroys the capillaries that feed the follicles 

this is why moist who go to locticians eventually have more scalp then hair

the roots should have (in Caucasian ish hair) 1-3 inches loose in the 1st 9 months and tighten  to no tighter then 1/2 iinch from the scalp (if you can fit a finger under the roots to scratch the scalp then your ok) 

African hair might have 1 inch or so in 1st 9 months then tighten to 1/4 inch

at n0 time should the hairs ever be being pulled perpendicular to the scalp like locticians do..and you should nnever use tight styles to "hold twists in" that only triples the tension on the scalp..and the treat odf traction alopecia

the best thing you can do is let them hang loose..they need to move to dread

also you have to accept the messy stage needs to be messy! they have to tangle and knot... this shouldn't be done by force but rather aalowed to happen gentlt..which means letting them get messy

you say they were started with braids well to stop being braids and become dreads..they have to unbraid..braids to dreads is actually slower then just letting it dread from nothing because they 1st have to loosen and fall apart to dread

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
lockedup
@lockedup
7 years ago
9 posts
Thank you so much. So without a twist how does a cylinder dreadlock form at the beginning?
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
7 years ago
29,640 posts

well 1st off perfect cylinders are way over rated..  however let me explain how dreads form naturally

when you wash your hair and don't comb it it forms sections then tangle these sections get loopie as hell (budding in African hair) this is essention

then when you sleep they compress from the weight of your head, when loose and not firm they tend to get flat, however take some silly putty or playdoe  and flatten it 1 way then anothjer and another over and over and the tendency is to become round

so when the loopy stage is over  most dreads will be cylinders  with a couple that might retain bumps or flatness 

the thing is..those are the ones that will be your favorites cause they aren't round and boring

dreads shouldn't all be the same..size or shape  its the variation that makes them unique...and yours

--
lockedup
@lockedup
7 years ago
9 posts
Definitely, i am not into perfect round locks, but growing up all i ever saw was everyone satrting from tiny twists and letting it grow from there
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
7 years ago
29,640 posts

all i ever saw was people letting it dread by doing nothing..but i started decades ago

\now something that happens all on iits own has become a huge megabucks industry 

i have seen people (including so called professionalsd) use anything from wax liquid latex (yes rubber) glue (elmers to supergluye) toothpaste peanutbutter mud dirt ash and well even semen and cow dung

it seems the more professionals there are the less people understand how hair dreads

--
Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form