dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Listerine for cleaning dreadlocks?

i-and-i
@i-and-i
7 years ago
35 posts
Blessings everyone!

I was looking at some different ways people have been deep cleaning there hair, and I came across a rather interesting technique for getting rid of mold and other oddities. Someone claimed they used a 1 hour listening soak in 2 parts listerine, one part water, with the "original listerine" that's orange and it worked great on the mold, helped with dandruff and left there hair feeling "incredibly soft". Has anyone else ever heard of this/tried it? I use rot knot currently when mold becomes an issue, but its always great to have a back up plan, and who doesn't love a new way to deep clean??

If anyone has any personal accounts, I'd love to hear it before I try this myself! Otherwise I'll probably give this a go my next deep clean and post my thoughts.

Peace and love, friends!
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
7 years ago
29,640 posts

EEK  that doesn't sound good

its mostly alcohol, so  yea it will sterilize, and burn  i don't think it would actually kill mold or mildew just bacteria

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
i-and-i
@i-and-i
7 years ago
35 posts

That's kind of what I was thinking, sounds bizarre right? Definitely not a "100 percent natural" route, but after hearing people swear by it for mold I had to investigate a bit more  

but here's the active constituents: active ingredients listed on Listerine bottles are essential oils which are menthol (mint) 0.042%, thymol (thyme) 0.064%, methyl salicylate (wintergreen) 0.06%, and eucalyptol (eucalyptus) 0.092%.[14] In combination all have an antiseptic effect and there is some thought that methyl salicylate may have an anti inflammatory effect as well.[15] Ethanol, which is toxic to bacteria at concentrations of 40%, is present in concentrations of 21.6% in the flavored product and 26.9% in the original gold Listerine Antiseptic.[16] At this concentration, the ethanol serves to dissolve the active ingredients.[citation needed]

So, assuming this does work on mold as well as people claim, I assume a more plausible and powerful option would be these essential oils mixed in 100 proof vodka, or the like. Perhaps even just adding them to the standard baking soda soak every other month instead of relying solely on tea tree will help in prevention/removal of mold. 

i-and-i
@i-and-i
7 years ago
35 posts

I'll add that so far, this is all THEORHETICAL INFORMATION!!! Please, no one start listerine cleaning there hair on a daily basis until we know a little more, I just figured this would be a good place to discuss how valid it might be as an option

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
7 years ago
29,640 posts

--well i guess you haven't heard that WE NO LONGER RECOMMEND THE BAKING SODA

it can SEVERELY WEAKEN HAIR when used long term.

or the acv, or both ..both are harsh

and i do mean severely weaken it..

he herbs ..in essential oil form might be good lemongrass lavender too

the rot knots main ingredient (judging by yummy smell) is clove oil

i had her add lavender but don't smell it at all even though lavender can be overpowering.

it just says 'proprietary blend" of essential oils

the way it was tested, was on bathroom mold that would come back in days after even the harshest chemical treatments.

she worked on that blend for months till she got it to kill it and have it not come back over and over

listerine (or teatree) will be antiseptic (teatree is a stronger antiseptic) listerine would certainly make you smell very minty ..

mint cools itch  sure

will burn the hell out of your eyes  .. maybe for days after

--
i-and-i
@i-and-i
7 years ago
35 posts

No I understand the baking soda acv fear of weakening hair, but I have been using it once every 2 months as a residue removal/deep cleanse. Is there something else I should be using for this deep cleanse instead?

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
7 years ago
29,640 posts

dreadlockshampoo.com also has a charcoal deep cleanse that's so good i drank the rinse water out of my dread and it tasted better then the tap water here. but its not (yet) on the site (she was sick) so just order any other bar or liquid and request a replacement (theres a bar and liquid version the liquids thick in a lil pump bottle not like the other liquids)

it works extremely well

i hope she gets it up on there soon i'll call her again this weekend

--
i-and-i
@i-and-i
7 years ago
35 posts

Oh awesome! I've heard you reference a deep clean shampoo you were trying through Vickie, I just assumed it was a dropped project. So glad to hear it's available, I'll order some the next time it's time for a deep clean!

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
7 years ago
29,640 posts

no shes just very very slow getting new products up on the site

--
AZDreads
@azdreads
7 years ago
5 posts

So dont use ACV/BS anymore?